Juvista

Guest youngguy24

Guest youngguy24

What do you all think about Juvista and HT's in the future? Any guesses on when this medication will be available?

Guest youngguy24

What do you all think about Juvista and HT's in the future? Any guesses on when this medication will be available?

I just Googled it and it seems to be a medication for the prevention and reduction of scarring. Looks like they're still doing clinical trials that won't end until late 2007/early 2008.

Guest youngguy24

Jotronic said something briefly about Juvista in one of his videos on his website. I was just wanted to know what people knew about this drug. It is meant to minimize scaring.

I did some research last night, it looks to be the real deal. Going through Phase II trials in the UK now and so far it's been shown to not only not harm, but actually work. It needs to be injected into a wound that's in the process of healing and it reduces/eliminates scarring.

In other words, it looks like in 3-4 years "scar revision" will mean "scar elimination". Cool huh?

Guest youngguy24

Youngguy,

That sounds awesome imagine a scarless surgery. I would sign up for a HT in a heartbeat.

Not 100% scarless, but close enough to it.

The way it works is, to paraphrase my research thus far:

Mammalian embryos heal without scars; adolescents & up heal with scars. The reason is that the body excretes different hormones into the wound as it heals: it provides hormones to promote rapid/unpretty healing in, say, adults. This makes sense as adults are generally in an environment that could be potentially harmful to open wounds, so you don't want them open for long. In embryos, large amounts of a growth hormone are injected into the wound which promotes skin growing into the wound to close it rather than a fast scar formation.

What research has found, however, was that in a properly protected/treated wound injecting the growth hormone into a wound makes it close the way it would in an embryo, by skin growing over the gap rather than a scar forming. And it seems to heal just as quickly.

Apparently, the professor who first thought of this had someone cut him under his arm on purpose, then injected the hormone into the healing wound and ended up healing with no scar.

Now, to manage expectations - scar revision surgery would still be needed and it wouldn't eliminate large scars. But as far as strip scars go, it'll help to minimize them to the point where it doesn't matter.

In conclusion: cool stuff, definitely worth a googling.

Never heard of it................very interesting thread. I'll be anxious to see if this comes into play anytime soon.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

One thing we have to keep in mind, however, is we aren't just dealing with scarring with strip surgery. Even if this medication does do wonders to make for an invisible scar, we have to remember...

We are also talking about an absence of hair in the area (which will give the appearance of a scar, even if the scar is faded to the point of it being invisible). Clearly with the Tricho and/or Ledge closure technique, hairs can grow through the scar. But larger sessions will still most likley cause the hair growing through the scar (or area where there was a scar) to grow a slightly different direction.

Just some additional thoughts.

Bill

hairbank - they're expecting to be on the market in 2009. I don't know enough about the pharma industry or this company in general to say whether that's realistic, but it's been in development for over a decade now.

Bill - good point. But healing with no scar and putting some FUE into the skin there probably still looks much better than having a scar with hair through it.

Youngguy,

I agree...though I have strong reservations with the words "no scar". I mean, a "scar" is just evidence of a healed wound. In what ways will or can they make a scar totally disappear? I assume we are talking about making the appearance of the scar more fine? Either way...it is interesting and when I have some time, I'll take some time to research it.

But you are right...any thing we can do to minimize the appearance of a scar is in our favor.

Bill