fue costs

hi all

just a quick question on costs.

if a company charges $5 per shf does this mean they will charge you $15 for a follicle containing 3 hairs.if so why,as it is the same procedure to remove the follicle regardless of how many hairs it contains.

thanks

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

hi all

just a quick question on costs.

if a company charges $5 per shf does this mean they will charge you $15 for a follicle containing 3 hairs.if so why,as it is the same procedure to remove the follicle regardless of how many hairs it contains.

thanks

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Chucky,

Every now and then we hear of a clinic charging by the "hair" and most times it is more of a marketing/promotion than anything else.

Within the realm of FUE and other isolated extraction methods, the clinic may argue that there is far more time involved in creating sub-follicular units from larger hair bearing grafts that are almost always done with a 1mm punch, still many singles may need to be cut in creating a new hairline for example. They can then charge ultimately more money for the total procedure. Henceforth, many of us do not support paying by the hair.

On the other hand, could a clinic that charges by the graft manipulate the total graft count? I always encourage patients to insist on donor evaluation and ask in the consultation examination, how many singles, doubles, etc does my donor region have and how many natural occuring FUs may need to be cut into sub-follicular units like lots of singles for creating a new hairline, etc.

That provides the patient consumer a "rough" idea of the graft count needed and how many will be singles, doubles, etc. Then after surgery, compare the actual numbers placed by graft size and compare with your original notes. It will help ensure that your natural occurring FUs were not over-manipulated and that you were not subsequently over-charged.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Chucky,

FUE is a lot more expensive than traditional strip-- average strip is around $3-$4 a FU and FUE is around $10-$15 a FU. MOre than likely if a clinic is charging per hair, then yes a 4 hair FU would be multiplied by the number of hairs in the FU. This is really a marketing gimic that top notch clinics do not use-- the standard pricing is to price at FU not hairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Chucky,

Most reputaable clinics charge by the graft/FU no matter how many hairs are in it-- 1 or 4.

If a clinic is charging by the "hair" as some do, then turn and run!

I've never seen the verbage shf, but for $5 it should be per graft not hair count.