New Member - LOTS of questions...please advise

Hello-

First I would like to say this is an amazing forum. I was going to be impulsive and then reading some of the info on here slowed me down and made me think - which I am eternally thankful. Everyone seems so supportive and honest, it is very refreshing.

About me: I am a 29 year old male. I have been losing my hair for about 5 years. It has gotten to the point where I want to do something about it. I had the opportunity to start Propecia 4 years ago...but passed (regret it now) so am going to get on in this week. I am a Norwood 5a classification and have visited 3 clinics in the Houston area. I was told by all the clinics I have very good donor area and dark, slightly curly, thick black hair so my results will be pretty good. I personally took this for a grain of salt bc lets face it, marketing and they will tell you what you want to hear.

This is the first time I have had time to do something for me. I have a very busy public occupation and I have some down time (2 months) in which to do something. This is only the first week I have done research and, thank you again forum, you kicked some sense into me and told me to slow down. I pretty much put everything on pause and have just been reading. I would, however, love to do this in the next month, but do it right. So any feedback or advice you can give me would be great (linking me to previous posts or sites, etc). I am willing to fly (which I read is a must to get a surgon you trust) but a trip to consult, then a trip to do the surgery...is that how it works? Thank you in advance. I will upload my head pics for your consideration.

1) Bosley - Dr. Crawshaw since 1996. Now I have read some of the comments on Bosley and am now very hesitant about trusting them. He adviced 900-2400 FU. He advised I start propecia right away. There is so much info opposing Bosley on this site, I am leaning to no go.

2) Hair Club - Dr. McCellan since 1988 with over 10,000 surgeries. He was pretty nice older Dr (61 I beleve). He said my scalp flexability is good and donor density is above avg so I shouldnt have a problem in that respect. He also said if I were his son, he would advice maxing this out so I could possibly get the results in 1 surgery. He said bc I want complete coverage 2500-3000 FU. He also adviced Propecia asap. This company only does 2 HT a day max.

3) Medical Hair Restoration - Dr. Recasens - I dunno how long, he was in private practice in Atlanta and recently moved to Houston (5 months ago). So I am weary about that. Plus with all the negative feedback on MHR (mainly a previous Dr.) I was sceptical. I did find his publications and resume to be impressive. He has a new technique of scalp closure which I got a copy (Knotless, Layered, Single-Suture Skin and Scalp Closure - Dr. Jaime Recasens MD, PhD, Cosmetic Dermatology, April 2008, Vol 21, No 4). I have a copy of it is anyone is interested. In any case, they filmed a surgery, and such, but I dont know how much to beleive. He advised 3 plans. The first being the most aggressive of 3000 FU. Plan B - 2200-2500 leaving the vortex in hopes that Propecia will rescue that. Plan C 2500-3000 FU with a better hairline.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you may provide. I look forward to hearing from everyone in hopes of gaining knowledge and open honest communication. I am reading so much on this site, it is simply dizzing, but better than flying blind.

Thank you.

Sna

Couple of quick tips. Take some pics under strong lighting without a flash. Take it from the front, top, both sides and back. Review and research the coalition doctors on this forum and go to their websites and do an online consult, where you send them your pics and info. The clinic will call you or you can call them to set up a telephone consult with the doc you are interested in. Get as many opinions as you need. If you want to do an in person consult, you can. Make a list of questions you have, goals you have for your hair (i.e., what is important to you, hairline, density, crown, etc.). Ask a ton of questions!!

And finally, do not go to any Bosley, any MHR, or any Hair club. Do not risk it. You have much better options available to you!!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Sna,

I've been around awhile and had one sub-par transplant at 25 yrs. old and one excellent transplant at 42 - six months ago, and a hair system from the Hair Club for a couple weeks back in '97... so, I'll give your questions a shot.

1. Don't go, or even call them, back to Bosley. It's not worth the risks. They might have some good docs, but they've got some flunky's, trainees, and just plain butchers as well. If you're happy with 50-50 odds, then.....

2. See #1. I haven't read past question #2, but I can already praise you for finding this site. If you're in Boston, check out Feller or Bernstein in NYC. (edit: I see now you're in Houston.... I still might fly to NYC anyway)

3. Dang, son. I don't know this guy, but you don't exactly have anyone's top 3 here. Again, check out the list above of coalition docs and then post some questions and start narrowing it down. I think you'll find better value, plus you'll look a whole lot more natural and better.

FWIW, here's my top 5 in no particular order....

1. Hassan and Wong, Vancuever

2. Cooley, Charlotte

3. Feller, NYC

4. Nakatsui, AB (although I haven't seen his work in awhile on here, it was incredible when they posted some pics.)

5. Shapiro, Minneapolis

There are some others, I just haven't seen enough of their pictures to proclaim them THE definitive top 5.icon_smile.gif Some more are Lindsey, Carmen, etc.

Go to one of the ones above, and I'll go to sleep tonight knowing I've saved someone from several years of embarrassment and self-confidence breakdowns of the highest degree.

Good luck, and keep researching and asking questions.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I would advise to wait at least 1 year for result from Propecia before going for HT. I have seen some great results from Propecia alone. BTW, ask your doctor to prescribe you Proscar, divide the pill into quarter, and take a quarter daily. It is exactly the same medication (finasteride), but only 25% of the cost and if you have medical coverage, maybe you will be reimbursed as well.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Guest wanthairs

get on finasteide, rogaine and nizoral shampoo. And consult with Hasson and Wong of canada if you are a NWD 5a...

Like me you need the most amount of hairs moved in one go and few can do it like them.

Originally posted by wanthairs:

get on finasteide, rogaine and nizoral shampoo. And consult with Hasson and Wong of canada if you are a NWD 5a...

Like me you need the most amount of hairs moved in one go and few can do it like them.

Why do you recommend the Nizoral shampoo? What does it do?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Sna--

You've come to the right place. Everyone here is on your side and wants you to have a great result. We are all in the same boat...it's like a fraternity.

Whatever you do... DO NOT go to a big hair transplant mill that you see advertised everywhere. You want a doctor with a consistent track record that you can verify, and someone who has a long term plan and is using state of the art techniques. You want a doctor who pretty much does one surgery a day, not a place where they bring people in and out like an assembly line.

I researched for a couple of years before I went through with it. I eventually went to Dr. Feller in Great Neck. He's one of the best in the world, and a super guy.

You can research for hours, but you won't find anything but praise for:

1. Feller

2. Hasson and Wong

3. Ron Shapiro and Paul shapiro (Shapiro Medical Group)

4. Dr. Rahal

5. Dr. Cooley

6. Dr. Alexander

That is my personal short list. By all means, you should definitely look at all the pics and see whose work you like the best. Please don't let geography limit you... if you're going to do it... do it right.

If you really do have thick, curly donor hair then you're in awesome shape.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have... good luck.

WOW!!!

I LOVE this forum. Guys, thanks for the support and advice! This place is like a goldmine. The feed back has been GREAT. I also posted my pics (which I shoulda done on the same post, but Im still learning.) It is under "my pics" by Sna.

I went to the hair transplant network and saw 2 doctors 1) Dr. Arocha and 2) Dr. Barrera (link: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physicia...list.asp?StateAbr=TX )

I got a prescription from Bosley of all places for Propecia, so I will start that now. The thing is, I am a medical student. I am headed to NY to work in clinicals in the hospitals. That is why I want to do this procedure now. But, I can go early and see Dr. Feller who is very highly recommended. I will be working 60+ hours as a slave to the man. When I told the Drs. this, all of them immediately changed their stance and started getting technical with the language. The talked to me about the levels of hormones with Propecia and such (i dunno whether to test me or what) but who cares. I am a patient and I want the best results. Also, I based on some members questions, I am look for "decent" coverage. by that i mean looks good, but i dont expect top look 21 again. That, with propecia, i suspect bc of my wavy hair, i can do ok. If i am still unsatisfied, then maybe back for a 2nd surgery, but baby steps is key.

So, again gentlemen, thank you so much for your advice and please, keep it comming. If you have any advice, or question, check my profile and feel free to email me. Thanks guys and, best of luck.

Sna

Why do you recommend the Nizoral shampoo? What does it do?

Nizoral contains an ingredient called ketoconazole that has been said to have some "weak" anti-DHT properties. In the form of a shampoo, I'm not sure how powerful it is, but may make for a good adjunct treatment.

I know Dr. Cooley sometimes recomments Extina (a ketoconazole topical foam), especially for patients who are having side effects from Propecia.

Read more on ketoconazole.

SNA,

I'm glad to see that you are doing your research before deciding to jump into the surgical chair. I think you'll find a plethera of information and support here. Browse through our site and forum and look through patient photos to see the kinds of results surgeons are performing.

Best wishes,

Bill

UPDATE:

I had an appointment with Dr. Arocha in Houston, Tx. I must say, Impressive. Here is a little background:

Again, I have only done minimal research and consulted with the main commercial companies. After reading this forum, I decided to wait and get on propecia for a year. Then I consulted with Dr. Arocha today. First, I was impressed that he consulted personally. I sat with him for 1 and a half hour and quized him. He was very receptive and candid. He said I have extensive hair-loss and said I was a norwood 6. Then he recommended 2500-3000 to do the temples, hairline, and top (not the crown). He said he would like to frame my face and let propecia try to regrow the crown (though his happens in 1 in 4 patients). If i decide to do another surgery, that is my choice, but he insisted that framing was key. I had never had a doctor point out my temples. He had a very valid point. They are thinning and in the years to come, if I get this procedure, it will look un-natural if I dont address this. Again, his candid opinion went a long way. Then he showed me at least 5-10 patients with no less than 20 pics before and after. So after 30 min of talking, he photographed me and we talked about my case. He said since I may be interested in full coverage, 4000-5000 will be needed. He pointed out my crown and the swirl and said that will require a skilled eye to get the "swirl". I agreed, I mean it was right there on the picture. Then, this was a huge step, I asked him for past patients contact info. He was able to get me a few and will get more when he asked their permission. I spoke with 2. The first (and forgive me I will not get into the details of the conversation bc i respect their privacy) spoke EXTREMELY highly of him. He had SERIOUS extensive surgery and was extremely open and honest. I quized him and he had all the right answers. Plus, he had a surgery a year ago as well as a follow up recently thus allowing me to seen 2 stages on the same head (which is SO valuble). Then I spoke the second patient. He had less work done but again, 2 surgeries. He again, spoke very highly of the Dr. and was more than helpful and forthcomming. Talking to a patient, I think, is invaluble. You get a real unbais opinion. These arent pic, this is the real deal. I am seriously considering proceeding. However, like I said, I have only researched this a week and I HATE that this is impulsive. But patient 1 has research this for almost a decade, and patient 2 researched for 2 years (plus he was very close to my age and related to me very well.) Plus it should be noted both patients went BACK to Dr. Arocha for a 2nd treatment bc they were satified, both year post op. In a sense, I supposedly have extensive research from these two kind gentleman. In any case, I saw remarkable procedures done. As for the Dr. - very down to earth. We talked about a wide variety of topics and life. From what I have researched (I would say in the past week I read about a min 5 hours a day on the topic) the surgery is pretty much universal. So the difference is the Dr. That is the KEY difference. If I decide to go through with this, I will keep the forum updated. Plus, in the forum, I have seen numerous pics of patients and must say, they are pretty damn good. Please let me know feedback.

Guest Brad Limmer, MD

latinlotus has a very valid point in regards to the Propecia and trying it out for a year. We tell our patients to keep a "photo journal" before they begin the Propecia and to take their picture every 3-4 months to see the progress. Good luck and keep up your research...

Guest Brad Limmer, MD

Interesting, check out the Merck website!

The promise is simple. Use PROPECIA for 12 months. If you don't at least maintain the hair you had when you began treatment, we'll give you a full refund of your purchase price, less any rebates you received.

This program is for new male patients aged 18 or older with male pattern hair loss who continue to use PROPECIA for 12 months.

PROPECIA: Stick with it to see results.

Because hair loss varies from one guy to the next, it makes sense that hair regrowth varies among men. Some men notice a difference in as little as 3 months after starting treatment with PROPECIA, but most men have to use PROPECIA for at least 6 months before seeing results. That's why it's so important to stick with PROPECIA for at least 12 months to judge how well it's working for you.

Register now.

This program is for new male patients aged 18 or older with male pattern hair loss who continue to use PROPECIA for 12 months.

If you take PROPECIA for 12 months and you do not maintain your hair on the vertex (top of head) and anterior mid-scalp (middle front of head), you will be eligible for a full refund of your purchase price, less any rebates received.

Refunds will be given only if you complete 12 months of therapy (defined as the purchase of 360 tablets of PROPECIA) within a 12-month period.

Your doctor's signature is required to verify your results and qualify you for your refund.