Anyone have laser treatment?

Michelle,

Welcome to our community.

Laser therapy is a hot topic of discussion on our hair restoration forum so by using the find feature of our community, you will find a lot of good information. I can think of one member on our forum (BeHappy) that has reported some success with it. The majority of the members here, despite its FDA approval, are very skeptical that laser therapy works due to the lack of compelling visual evidence of its efficacy.

Read more about laser therapy.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Moderators
Originally posted by Michelle37:

Has anyone had the laser treatment for hair loss?

If you're going to try this I suggest you buy a laser comb and use it at home rather than going to a clinic and spending thousands.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hello,

I am 10 days post op from a 3,000 graft FUT from Dr. Wong.

I also have the dubious distinction of having dropped roughly $10,000 in the past two years on the laser treatment.

In all honesty, the laser hair therapy (LHT) DID provide mild to moderate improvement in my hair loss, but as you have probably guessed, it was not nearly what I was looking for. It simply seemed less invasive than the transplant, and thus more appealing.

However, after the superb experience I just had with the transplant ( I will create a web log as soon as I get back from holidays) I would say that if my hair grows in the way it's supposed to, the laser thing was a waste of money (big money)

• Moderators

baldeagle's post is a perfect example of what I've been trying to say about laser therapy over the last few months.

He says "the laser thing was a waste of money". If someone reads that it surely sounds like it didn't work for him, yet he says "In all honesty, the laser hair therapy (LHT) DID provide mild to moderate improvement in my hair loss".

My guess is he may not feel it was a waste of money if he would have gotten those results for $400 or less.

So as I've been saying, when you hear people say it doesn't work, not worth the money, waste of time, etc. you have to ask if it was the money factor rather than the actual results factor. I can certainly understand why someone would rather pay $10,000 for a HT and get a lot more hair than they did by paying $10,000 for laser therapy.

I have to ask baldeagle that since he knows it did provide some growth and knows it does work on him, would he consider using a laser comb to prevent furher loss after the HT. It sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Bottom line

It just doesn't work and there is no solid data indicating so

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I am new to the forum, but like everyone on here, I have researched and tried almost everything involved with hair restoration minus a hair transplant.

I am the current owner of a "Lexington Hairmax Laser Comb". I purchased it two years ago after seeing its endorsement on a television program, the name of which I cannot recall at this time.

After two years of using it, I have come to conclude that it just isn't worth it. It does not work. I have committed many hours to researching the benefits of laser therapy for hair loss - there is simply no empirical evidence that suggests any real benefits for hair growth.

Do not be fooled by their money back guarantee - laser restoration clinics will NOT refund your money. I went to a laser restoration clinic that offered a refund...but the guy working at the clinic was doing my "pre-therapy count" and would do my "post-therapy count" microscopically. I tried returning my laser comb after the test period, and they told me that I should keep it for another 6 weeks because some take longer than others to respond. Well, after 6 weeks, I was given another story and after many attempts to return it, I gave up.

The whole hair restoration laser therapy industry should seriously be evaluated. There is simply no real proof that it works.

I have not embraced Lasers fully in my practice. ALthough there is some data and discussions from other physicians regarding the validity of the data and the benefits as noted by patients, there is still debate amongst us hair transplant physicians. I have the combs available for patients in my office with the clear understanding that it may or may not work. Similar to Propecia or rogaine, if it works, you need to keep using it.

Ricardo Mejia MD

Personally I wouldn't spend anything more than $200 on it to try if the money won't hurt you. I DO NOT believe that it will grow hair but I feel that it might make hair healthier like a good shampoo. Since I have therapeutic lasers in my offices I thought what the hell and I used after my recent HT. I really believed that it helped me to keep some grafts and the hair does seem healthier. Take that info for what you want.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I guess everyone has to sit down and write down the features & benefits of the laser and if it right for them. Personally I think it is a joke.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Sometimes it scares me. It's almost like Mrjb is somewhere in my house waiting to see if I post anything remotely positive about any products other than the meds and immediately he responds. Freaky. icon_smile.gif

It is factual that the meds are the only things that have shown empirical evidence of success although even that is a little sketchy at best and we all know of the side effect risks.

This topic to me has become very passe. We all have our beliefs. I can't bother to get into the debates like I use to. IT has become apparent to me that there really is no right/wrong answer.

I am for people experimenting a little because what might not work for someone else might work for you. Just don't do anything that might harm yourself or others and please don't be foolish with spending.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I 'm watching you Nelly icon_mad.gif

No seriously, there is nobody who would be happier if there were some new products or meds which would make another significant difference in hairloss icon_biggrin.gif. But to me, giving credit to a marginal product in limited cases just doesn't get me excited. Just ask the top docs we give ongoing due credit on here, they will agree as well especially Dr. Feller.

It's not my opinion, it's the majority in the industry

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

NN and Mrjb,

You guys are funny!

Regarding lasers - I can't argue whether they actually work or not. The truth is, I haven't seen any compelling visual evidence to suggest they work however, the question isn't whether or not lasers are a miracle hair loss cure (we all know that to be false) but whether or not they do anything to combat hair loss.

I would argue that it probably doesn't hurt to try the laser comb (especially since it is cheaper) - but I do not feel comfortable at this time advocating it as a proven hair loss treatment (despite the recent FDA approval). Once I start seeing some compelling evidence of it's efficacy, I will feel more comfortable with it.

These are just my thoughts.

Bill

ha Ha

I have a Nellycam so I know everything he does

Cheers to Nelly, I really do value his input & lately we have been ageeing on many subjects

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!