DHI clinic and the Choi Implanter

• Administrators

dhi

Date: 7/19/01

Time: 7:46:35 PM

Remote Name: 12.79.192.167

Comments

I just saw the dhi website. Quite persuasive with the Choi needle and "no-touch" technique. Does anyone have any experience with this clinic?

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

dhi

Date: 7/19/01

Time: 7:46:35 PM

Remote Name: 12.79.192.167

Comments

I just saw the dhi website. Quite persuasive with the Choi needle and "no-touch" technique. Does anyone have any experience with this clinic?

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

• Administrators

Date: 7/23/01

Time: 7:00:03 PM

Remote Name: 62.30.112.1

Comments

Yes, I had a procedure with them 2 months ago, of 3,000 follicular units transplant and was very impressed with the caring staff and their methods, including the surgeon Dr. Santos who did a very skillful job. The Choi seems to work very well and it all goes very fast. Also, they took care of meals, accommodation and an excursion in Athens, and made it a pleasure to be there. Now I'm just waiting for the regrowth to occur! If you would like further deatils, please email me on z.dld.public@blueyonder.co.uk

My Hair Loss Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I had a procedure in Athens at Dhi a few years ago. My impression they gave to me was that they just wanted the money and no guranties as for the result. It was shocking for me to hear when i was just sat on the surgery seat one woman Doctor to ask me, if they get more than the amount of hair the 'd told me they could get, what to do? " Should you pay extra money, or just throw them away?", she said in a very serious way.

Then there were 2 persons puting me the hair(a man and a girl). The man seemed to me experienced but the girl not. So he started to say to her several times during the 30 minutes procedure, that she had to stop doing what she did -probably something wrong- and at last he almost started shouting at her.

Before the procedure i had been told that they were going to put me grafts contained 1 or 2 or most 3 hair. Now i can show you that i have grafts of 5-7 hair each(they lied about the size of the grafts even on their own clients envelope- i saw it) and most of the big ones fall down from the side the girl was putting, even 8 months after the procedure and NEVER regrowth. When i went there and tell, one person almost started to pull them with his bare hands, just to saw me that they where sticked well to my head. Even now they grow in diferent timing from side to side. Then i believe that an ear to ear stretched scar was to big for an amount of 350 mini grafted surgery. I strongly believe that from the same donor area today, someone else could get at least 2000+ micro grafts.Thank you for listening

Tinf, when was your surgery done? Who was the surgeon? Did they use the Choi device then?

My procedure was done using all follicular units dissected with microscopes and implanted using the Choi device. I can't see how they could do 5-7 hair grafts like this. I believe they have been doing this style of transplant for around 5 years, all the staff seemed highly skilled. Was your procedure done some time ago?

Dom

• 1 year later...

Any more commets on DHI out there? They seem to be the only group doing FU in the UK, or am I missing someone?

Either way, they look profesional, and seem quite open about you seeing procidures etc, they offerd to arange for me to go to Greece to see an oppearation. I dont think they would do that if they were as bad as was described earlyer?

Please write back tinf and let us know a bit more about when and who did your transpalnt.

NV

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> dhi

their techniques and staff get better and better every day

This reply suggests there is still some room left for improvement.

Please don't settle for "pretty good" or "okay" or "they're getting better all the time" unless you want to risk that you might regret your hair transplant for the rest of your life.

• 10 months later...

It's nearly a year since this question was asked. For the benefit of those of us in Europe, can anyone offer any advice on how DHI compares wih the best of North America?

Thanks

D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Being a UK resident and potential HT patient and looking only for FUT/FUE I would like to receive the details you were talking about two months ago. Regards.

Thak you for your quick answer. By the way, do you have any feedback about Dr. Farjo, who seems to be the other leading surgeon in UK (as highlighted by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery)?

Let me also add something I forgot yesterday in my first posting (after several months of reading): this forum is great, thank you very much for your time and effort.

Cheers.

I'm living on the same side of the Atlantic as you, and I'm several months ahead of you in terms of research. I started out by investigating the pros and cons of both DHI and Farjo.

Couldn't find anything on Farjo but learned enough about DHI to put me off and to make me wary of relying on anyone's mere membership of IAHRS as a sufficently strong recommendation.

My research has led me to conclude that the most advanced treatment lies in North America and that it's worth the air fare to get the best (and also, from I can make out, the cheapest).

Your options will depend on your age, transplant history and availability of donor hair. Satisfy yourself with the merits of propective surgeons before allowing them to relieve you of not only your cash but also your valuable donor hair.

Good Luck

M

I'm ahead in my research but I haven't made any definitive decision yet.

Your circumstances seem different to mine. I'm at a fairly advanced stage of hair loss and need to maximise the use of my donor hair, maybe even to the point of using body hair. This would definitely require FUE as strip incison is appropriate only for scalp.

From what I can ascertain from your circumstances, you seem have eliminated your bald spot using Propecia and are happy with your hairline. Can I ask therefore why you want a transplant at all? Most patients (myself included) would almost kill to be in that position. Transplants are generally only considered as a last resort when all other methods (e.g. propecia) have failed.

It may be that you dislike thoughts of taking popecia indefinitely for fear of any side effects. If you were to cease taking it however, it would be difficult to predict the rate at which you would lose your hair and a transplant would be difficult to plan for this reason.

If you ever go the transplant route, there are currently only a few doctors doing FUEs - Farjo, to my knowledge is not one of them, although the number is increasing all the time. FUE is also much more expensive on a per-FU basis.

I wouldn't rule out strip surgery. It's less traumatic (both physically and psychologically)than it was in the past and, with a good surgeon, will not leave any physical scars. It's also considerably cheaper. It may take longer to heal however (although only by a matter of days) so if going back to work within a couple of days is crucial to you, it might be something you would want to yake into account.

If I was in your position (as I understand it above), I'd stick with propecia and get to know more about it using this forum. It may be that you could reduce your dosage without compromising your results. This make require some trial and error though.

If you decide to see the the various consultants, let us know how you get on. I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear what advice a transplant surgeon would give to a guy who has achieved what seems to acceptable results using propecia.

Regardless of what they say to you or what claims they make, post them back on this site and there will be plenty of people only too happy you evaluate them on your behalf.

Good Luck. icon_smile.gif

Even if you would probably judge me "naive" for this answer, the reason for me to go for a HT is that I would like to have my hair back as when I was 18 - as simple as that. I stopped the hair loss with Propecia but what has gone has gone (even if it is not a lot) and I would like to have it back. to be honest, I think I will never accept an hair loss even in my old age.

Having said that, just a technical question. I agree with you that -given my actual situation- a FUE is not extremely necessary and for this reason I am looking for a FUT. Is this what you define "strip surgery"?

Of course, I will be happy to post here my feedbacks about the clinics and the surgeons I will visit in London.

Chat to you soon.

Regards.

Kens2003

I think any hair loss sufferer would ideally want to restore the hairline they had at age 18. Over time, however, and depending on the level of hairloss they experience, most compromise their level of expectation against what can realistically be achieved. Ultimately they seek a level of coverage with which they can feel reasonably comfortable for the rest of their lives.

You should remind yourself that hair transplant doesn't equate to hair restoration. It takes what you have in an area where have an abundance an redistributes it where you need it most. You should be aware that if you continue to lose hair, you will constantly need more transplants and the area from which these will be sourced will eventually diminish.

To illustrate the point, I started to notice hair loss at age 20 and, thinking my life was over, had my first transplant at age 23. I look now at photos of myself at age 21/22 (a period during which I was very self consious about my hairloss) and think of how acceptable that hairine would be to me today.

The point is, you may never recover the hairline you had at 18, but if you have sufficient coverage now you should be grateful you caught your hairloss in time and move onwards. There's no point in looking back to the tme you were 18 - I'm afraid you're never going back there again - hairwise or otherwise.

In relation to FUT (follicular unit transplant), I slightly misread your earlier post. FUT stands for follicular unit transplant which involves isolating the follicular unit prior to transplantation. Each unit typically conatins 1-3 hairs which achieves more natural results than older methods. It can be performed using either the strip method (i.e. removal of a strip from your scalp and then disecting it into FUs) or by FUE (i.e. extraction - extracting the FUs individually instead of from a strip) - slower and more expensive but some say less traumatic. The pros and cons of both methods are better explained elsewhere on this site.

Bottom line, I think if you were to see any reputable surgeon, they would advise you against transplant and to concentrate on retaining your existing hair. You might, however, come across some less than scrupulous operators who will convince you to have surgery because there's money in it for them.

Tread carefully, my friend. icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Magoo on October 31, 2003 at 04:45 PM.]

[This message was edited by Magoo on October 31, 2003 at 04:52 PM.]