some (silly?) questions regarding HT

Hello BM's,

Let me apologize upfront, as these queries could be impractical or immature. Blame it on my naivete or optimism or lack of proper knowledge, but I still feel like writing what I feel....

=> after HT, how does one look, typically immediately after HT or, say after 10 days?

=> do you have to shave/trim (to minimum) hair in the recipient area? (is that mandatory for the process?)

=> if yes, then how long till it grows back (your native trimmed hair)

=> is it very normal that the native/existing hair (near transplanted hair) are lost (or is it so that it 'may' happen, but also there is possibility it 'may not' happen)

=> in the donor area (in case of strip incision) when would the strip heal and become normal?

=> I have seen people advised to visit good doctors even though they are at distant locations or outside the country.

Hence I thought of asking, if one goes for HT with such doctor, is it required to consult the Dr "after" HT ? i.e. any future visits?

=> what about removing sutures? (one has to visit the Dr for that, right?)

=> is it possible at all that one goes for an HT only once? i.e. does not have any future HT's done?

(I am aware that although all, or say even 90%, transplanted hair grow, most likely the other existing hair might be falling in future due to DHT effect)

=> The reason for above ques is, I don't mind going bald in another, say, 10 years, provided -

(a) it is gradual process, and

(b) for next few years, if I can sport some decent amount of (and natural looking) hair

Appreciate any help/advice/comments anyone can provide on these.

Hello BM's,

Let me apologize upfront, as these queries could be impractical or immature. Blame it on my naivete or optimism or lack of proper knowledge, but I still feel like writing what I feel....

=> after HT, how does one look, typically immediately after HT or, say after 10 days?

=> do you have to shave/trim (to minimum) hair in the recipient area? (is that mandatory for the process?)

=> if yes, then how long till it grows back (your native trimmed hair)

=> is it very normal that the native/existing hair (near transplanted hair) are lost (or is it so that it 'may' happen, but also there is possibility it 'may not' happen)

=> in the donor area (in case of strip incision) when would the strip heal and become normal?

=> I have seen people advised to visit good doctors even though they are at distant locations or outside the country.

Hence I thought of asking, if one goes for HT with such doctor, is it required to consult the Dr "after" HT ? i.e. any future visits?

=> is it possible at all that one goes for an HT only once? i.e. does not have any future HT's done?

(I am aware that although all, or say even 90%, transplanted hair grow, most likely the other existing hair might be falling in future due to DHT effect)

=> The reason for above ques is, I don't mind going bald in another, say, 10 years, provided -

(b) for next few years, if I can sport some decent amount of (and natural looking) hair

Appreciate any help/advice/comments anyone can provide on these.

raj,

I'll try to answer your questions.

First, I recommend you read these threads which should answer several of your questions:

When will I look "normal" after a hair transplant?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...911028023#7911028023

Help, I look worse than I did before surgery (SHOCKLOSS)

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...1094723&r=2421094723

12 month maturation, though it will be a gradual process

Though in person check-ups are often preferred after HT, I can't imagine it would be enforced. Often virtual check-ups are fine.

Depends on the type of closure - but typically A doctor of some kind should be visited...you can even go to your general practioner.

It really depends on your current level of hair loss, your future hair loss, and your goals. Most people tend to go for more than one.

For the record....

Transplanted hair is permanent. If you don't MIND going bald, perhaps you shouldn't consider HT. Getting an HT now and then losing more hair later, might leave you looking funny and unnatural. So consider all your options wisely.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

Transplanted hair is permanent. If you don't MIND going bald, perhaps you shouldn't consider HT. Getting an HT now and then losing more hair later, might leave you looking funny and unnatural. So consider all your options wisely.

Bill

Is there no middle ground! Like getting transplant now. 5 yrs from now, if I lose more, then go for lower density work. Just asking out of curiosity.

Is there anysure way to find out how much the hairloss will progress?

Jolly,

Hair transplantation can't be treated like a cure for hair loss...

Family History of hair loss can give you an INDICATION of where you might land, but hair loss IS unpredictable, unfortunately.

One considering a transplant (especially at younger ages with less hairloss) should start extremely conservative and WAIT as long as they can before jumping in the chair.

Medication should always be tried first.

There are cases that can be made for younger people having HTs, however, most of the time, it's not advisable.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks !

Really appreciate yr helpful post.

especially the links you provided. The <shockloss> link I had seen earlier, being recent, but the other one <When will I look "normal" after a hair transplant?> was quite informative, to me at least!

That also reinforces my fear/apprehension that one 'can not' have an HT in a kind-of discreet way; you are gonna announce it to the world, unfortunately.

Typically, after an HT, it would be v hard (for most guys) while going to work/mixing with other people socially. Not to mention the shockloss one might (or almost) have, etc..

I was (naively) hoping that one can have HT with existing (even though very thinned) hair intact, but most Dr's seem to suggest shaving or trimming (1-2 mm), so even if one assumes, these native hair would regrow, they themselves are going to take a looong time to regrow.

Hmm....

Reg the 2nd point - well, I think no man would like to go bald (that's why we are here, right?), and surely would mind going bald, as such :-)

what I meant was, one can resign to one's fate and accept he is going bald.

I probably would, but as I said in another say 10 odd years, provided -

(in fact, that's why I am apprehensive of touching hairline, if at all I go for an HT. IMO, if you "are" balding, and 'known to be losing hair', a receded hairline is just natural, can't help.)

Anyway. But what you have mentioned IS PRECISELY my main point.

I have always always wondered about this! What if one grafts, say 1000 or 2000 or 3000 or whatever number of hair. And if he is bound to lose the exesting hair (not due to shockloss, but owing to DHT) how is that gonna look?

And this is what bugs me most! Is there no way that by seeing one's pattern of hair loss, and "anticipating" one's future loss, can the extracted hair not be planted in a manner to, say, increase density for now? (and in future, with loss of older hair, it should, say, look like "naturally" thinned hair).

Noone has been able to give me satisfactory answer here (may be there is none).

Why I say above is, I really wouldn't want to search/browse for hair-loss solutions few years down the line! Or, be able to spend time on Net, in these forums (no disrespect here, in fact I am grateful for help available here. Just stating my 'own' opinion).

Honestly, I wouldn't want to worry about hair and hair-loss for rest of my life. I think everyone has better things to worry/concentrate on while moving in life, like family, career, and so many other things! Please don't misunderstand here, but I certainly wouldn't want to spend time/money and yes, lot of energy on this!

And that's why I had asked if a one-time HT possible? (knowing that's NOT going to solve the problem permanently, but only to buy time, so that as and when I go bald in old age, it doesn't bother me, provided, it looks natural and not funny :-)

Anyways.

one thing is for sure. Both these points are making me very apprehensive about getting HT done!

(but then when I see myself every single f**king day in mirror, I feel terrible!)

Darn! again a long post!

Sorry for all who are taking pains to read this and thanks!

raj,

Thanks for your reply.

The bottom line is, if you are reluctant, you probably shouldn't proceed into surgery at this point...not to mention, a qualified doctor would have to decide if you were a candidate at this point anyway.

I don't want to scare you away from an HT...after all...if it wasn't for my transplants, I'd be a NW6 - pretty much completely bald on top. So I have come a LONG way and am certainly glad I went through what I did to get here. But it was a long journey and over $30000 to accomplish what I have. But to me, it was worth it...every penny. After all, the average American buys a new car every 5 years for about the same price. I figure if I keep my car for 10 years, it's all evening out icon_wink.gif.

Another post that might help you:

Will I be able to obtain a full head of hair?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...161071123#6161071123

But again, keep in mind, it's all about goals.

Certainly those who just started to lose their hair should not consider an HT, but try medication first.

Good luck in your continued research.

Bill