Loss of feeling

hi... 7 days ago i had a mid-to-large size hair transplant... all went well and healing seems to be going ok.. in fact i get my staples out in 2 days...

my problem is that i have a loss of feeling of the part of my head extending immediately above the donor site to the crown and out about 2 inches on either side...

i am curious if anyone else experienced this...

hi... 7 days ago i had a mid-to-large size hair transplant... all went well and healing seems to be going ok.. in fact i get my staples out in 2 days...

my problem is that i have a loss of feeling of the part of my head extending immediately above the donor site to the crown and out about 2 inches on either side...

i am curious if anyone else experienced this...

I do not think numbness is unusual for the first 1-2 months. I read somewhere it was from 1000's of nerves being cut and that they had to grow back. I dont know if thats is true though.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Mine took around 3 months, so yeah, it will come back to you..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Breezie-

The area above my donor was numb for a while as well after surgery--exactly the way you are describing it. It felt quite awkward for a good month and then feeling began to return. It is weird as that is an area of our head was not worked upon.

Feeling is fully back in that area now for me, so I think you will be fine. Just give it a little more time.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

The nerves run from the neck up to the top of the head, so the area just below the donor scar will have most of it's normal network while the area above the scar takes several months for the network to heal and reconnect. My last HT was about 2.5 months ago and I have recovered most of the sensations but it still feels weird, I remember in my 2nd HT it took about one year before the strange sensations stopped and it felt completely normal. Please tell us who did your HT and if you care to share your experience with a Hair Web Log it would be helpful to our community. Breezie, you are experiencing normal side effects, happy healing and growing.

Woah - being numb, "strange sensations" for a year?! Even the idea of losing sensation for an area on your head for a few months seems somewhat terrifying.

Is this numbness typical for HT patients? For those who experience this, how long did it last? If anyone could shed some more light on this, that'd be great.

Cheers,

I'm 11 weeks out and I still have a little bit of numbness just above the donor site in the back. It's not as bad as you might think. It's just a weird feeling. It doesn't hurt, although I am still a tiny bit sore right below the numb area. Actually, the most bizarre part of mine was this crazy itching on the top of my scalp...but the area was numb, so I couldn't get rid of the itch! It slowly went away. The top still itches sometimes, but at least I can scratch it and get rid of it now.

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

To All-

That numb or "strange" feeling that you refer to is indeed the result of an interruption of the superficial cutaneous nerves along the length of the donor site. We tell our patients that those changes in sensation can last up to a year, but usually return to normal prior to that. It's simply a matter of the tiny nerve endings reconnecting with one another over time as the scar tissue matures or heals, a process called "remodeling".

So not to worry breezie71, what you are experiencing is normal and it is temporary.

Grow well.

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

thanks for all the great responses...

knowing there are others out there who expereienced the same thing is comforting... i think... icon_smile.gif

as for the procedure, it was extremely simple.. i immediately fell asleep, woke up hours later.. no pain.. no real discomfort...

only mild discomfort was the itching on top (not so much around donor area) for the following 3 or 4 days... oh, and then there was the 'dead head' area that prompted me to start this dialogue...

had my 65 staples removed yesterday... no problems there either...

3Nov08, Dr. Griffin, 2500 grafts