Dr. Rose - Great Experience

Running Man

Gentlemen,

I want to share my experience with you regarding Dr. Rose in Tampa. I'm a medical professional, 45 years old, and I was completely bald on top. I contacted 3 of the top physicians in FL, and after consulting with each of them, chose to work with Dr. Rose because of his willingness to focus on my specific needs. He invested a lot of his time to assure me that I would be happy with the results of his work. The day of surgery went something like this ??“ my wife and I arrived at the office, and the atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable. I had a chat with Laura, the physician's assistant. Then Dr. Rose, myself, my wife and Laura reviewed our plan for the day, and then got started. Step 1 was to lie face down in a massage-type table; local anesthetic was used to anesthetize the donor area. The donor strip was removed with absolutely no discomfort. Dr. Rose then carefully stitched the suture line closed while the donor strip was dissected into individual hairs by a staff of young ladies working with microscopes in an adjacent room. Then I got up, stretched out, and sat in a normal position. I picked out one of the funny movies to watch and relaxed and settled in to watch it. Dr. Rose began to lay out the tiny incisions to accommodate each donor hair. As he worked, one of his staff kept notes on exactly how many incisions he had made. By the time he had completed a significant section of the transplant area, Laura began to implant hairs into the incisions created by Dr. Rose. During this process, I experienced absolutely no discomfort. The mood in the procedure room was laid back and fun. We exchanged funny stories about different things and all laughed together about the movie we were watching. My wife stopped by and brought in a couple of lattes and hung around for a while. We took a break for lunch. I got up, stretched out, walked around the office a bit, had two slices of pepperoni pizza, and settled in to watch my next movie. By this time, Dr. Rose had completed the transplant area incisions and Laura and another staff member were busy implanting donor hairs under the instruction of Dr. Rose. At one point, I was so comfortable I just dozed off. At no point in the surgery did I experience any discomfort, and, it may sound a little crazy, but it was kind of a fun day. Altogether, 3,000 hairs were transplanted to the top of my head.

I'm only two weeks out from surgery and already feel ten years younger looking in the mirror and seeing my head look the way it did ten years ago. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Rose for anybody who's interested in having any type of hair restoration surgery. It's a top notch program there. There could be none better. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Hi Running Man and welcome!

Do you have any pictures before the surgery and post op photos so far that you are willing to share with us? You can start a new photo album by going to "new" and clicking "photo album". You can upload as many photos as you want there and continually posting month to month gives viewers a chance to see how the results of your surgery turn out. It's a great benefit to both you and the viewers...because you will receive support from people who have been through this (like myself and many others) and you will be helping new people make wise decisions for their situations. Thanks for sharing!

Bill

Running Man, Welcome!!!!! I am glad that you had a great experience and are willing to share it.

Could you please clarify if you had 3000 hairs or grafts please?

Welcome again and happy growing!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Yes Running man, 3000 hairs would indicate something like 1000 grafts, and most doctors will work and price I might add based on grafts (each of which typicaly contain 1-4 hairs) rather than individual hairs.

I've only recently had 4100 grafts put in myself, and I'm walking across that long bald desert to the lush hair filled oasis on the other side.

How in the world you feel 10 years younger 2 weeks after surgery is beyond me. Two weeks out of surgery, I looked like the last chapter of "What's the Use".

At 6 weeks my head still looks like 10 miles of muddy road.

I can only hang on and await the day when once more my hair will remind people of the Black Bavarian Forest at the height of springtime (after a particularly heavy rainfall.)

mark h

awesome news! I'm going to be having my HT with him as well and was starting to wonder how some others on this board dont post about him. All you hear now-a-days its always the same docs. Shapiro- H&W and some other guy.

please post pics and let us know how complicated the post-treatment is and if you're planing to have the sutures removed by him or someone else.

good luck!

Shapiro and H&W are most active on the forum, but I would guess that any doctor on the coalition list is going to be a top doc, full stop.

I went to Dr. Cooley, who only occasionally gets play on this forum, but who is on the cutting edge.

However, I would caution anyone about seeing a doctor on the "Recommended" list. That list contains doctors that are not necessarily the best. They might be excellent, or just not too bad. In such a case a LOT of vetting should be done.

Mark H,

When you say "Recommended list", I assume you are talking outside of the coalition yes?

And yes everyone, there are other great docs other than Shapiro, H&W, and Cole. The coalition docs all meet the criteria for performing ultra refined follicular unit grafting and have yielded excellent results.

----

Now that I read more carefully, the comment about feeling and looking younger at 2 weeks does sound funny. The only way I can see that actually happening is that he shaved his head all to equal level and none of the grafts haven't shed yet, thus giving the appearance of more hair. Or unless he is talking about psychologically he is feeling better about himself because he knows what type of result it will yield.

Running man,

But in case you didn't know, all of those grafts will fall out in the next few weeks and will start to grow back again slowly around the 3 month mark. But you won't notice anything really wonderful right away at 3 months....it will take a few months for the hair to really start coming in...probably by month 5 or 6 depending on the person, you should start to see some real results. But the ride isn't over until about 12-16 months post op!

Bill

Wow...that was interesting...I just tried to post something and it said it has to be reviewd by administrators. Fascinating...I guess we'll see if it shows. I don't think I said anything that would have triggered that type of message =D. I thought I gave some good advice too...so we'll see if it posts.

Bill

My experience with Bernstein and his staff was similar in January, 2006 getting 2382 graphs. I have another consult with Bernstein this Monday to do it again in January, 2007. It may seem a bit bizarre but I found the procedure, after the initial pin pricks, to be very relaxing, if not enjoyable-three attractive women paying that much attention to me-felt great that night--ate and had no trouble sleeping. It just seems to me, that after you go through the small inconvience, your involement in the process is over. You will have more hair in 6/9/12 months.