Please help

I am new to the forum and have found a lot of useful information here. I would like to ask for some advice from you guys.

I started using Rogaine about 6 months ago because I noticed that my hair line was starting to recede a little. After about 2 months of Rogaine my hair began to shed pretty bad and I could start to see my scalp. I went to the doctor and he recommended propecia. I stopped taking the Rogaine after about 4 months and started the propecia. After taking the propecia for 2 weeks I started shedding again. I have been experiencing this shedding now for about 3months and I am worried that it won't stop. I have read that shedding is a common reaction to both propecia and Rogaine but it is now to the point where I have almost no hair on the frontal are of my scalp. Will the hair grow back even if I stopped using the Rogaine? Have any of you experienced this?

Best Regards

I am new to the forum and have found a lot of useful information here. I would like to ask for some advice from you guys.

I started using Rogaine about 6 months ago because I noticed that my hair line was starting to recede a little. After about 2 months of Rogaine my hair began to shed pretty bad and I could start to see my scalp. I went to the doctor and he recommended propecia. I stopped taking the Rogaine after about 4 months and started the propecia. After taking the propecia for 2 weeks I started shedding again. I have been experiencing this shedding now for about 3months and I am worried that it won't stop. I have read that shedding is a common reaction to both propecia and Rogaine but it is now to the point where I have almost no hair on the frontal are of my scalp. Will the hair grow back even if I stopped using the Rogaine? Have any of you experienced this?

Best Regards

Ole81,

I'm sure you'll get some excellent responses, but in the meantime you should peruse the "Hair Loss Drugs" section, or even go to the "Search Forum" above and type in shedding.

I think it can mean the drug is actually starting to work. But, I've only been on the stuff for two months and I haven't had any shedding. That may mean it's not working for me, I don't know. I'm older at 42 and have been thinning for 20 years so who knows?

Anyway, while you wait try what I suggested and I'll bet you will find plenty of info.

BTW, is you username a reference to a car? As is Ole '55 by Tom Waits? Great song (Eagles version moreso), anyway.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Ole81,

Welcome to our discussion forum.

Extra hair shedding up to the first few months is normal when taking Propecia and/or Rogaine. Miniaturizing hairs shed to make room for the thicker hair that the follicle is producing underneath the skin. Even though it is a temporary inconvenience, this shedding is often looked at as a good sign.

Therefore, unless you are experiencing any side effects, enduring the medication past the hair shedding phase will typically result in stopping hair loss and potentially regrowing hair.

That said, 3 to 4 months with continual shedding is a long time to endure. Be sure to speak to a dermatologist or hair loss doctor who can examine your specific case and recommend a course of action.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your feedback. Do you think I should start using the Rogaine again to help grow back the hair that shedded from it? once I started shedding i went to the doctor and he recommended that I start taking Propecia (which also caused alot more shed) so I stopped using the Roagaine 3 months ago and only take the Propecia.

Thanks

Originally posted by Ole81:

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your feedback. Do you think I should start using the Rogaine again to help grow back the hair that shedded from it? once I started shedding i went to the doctor and he recommended that I start taking Propecia (which also caused alot more shed) so I stopped using the Roagaine 3 months ago and only take the Propecia.

Thanks

Ole81:

I got nothing against Merck, Phizer, or whoever makes Propecia; but I take Proscar which is the same ingredient but comes in 5mg. I cut it into 1/3's and get 1.25 mg, 3x per week. Here's the kicker: It's at least half the cost from all estimates and some people report their insurance covering it!

I pay about $80 for a 3-month sample. BTW, I'm no doctor but I think for optimal results you should take the Rogaine Foam ($45 for 3-months at Walmart) twice per day along with the Propecia or Proscar.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week