Medical opinion needed on the issue of sun exposure and graft growth.

Can you discuss sun exposure to graph area? Will sun exposure damage the graph site? Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

EJR

[This message was edited by Pat - editor and "Recovered Bald Guy" on October 28, 2001 at 02:21 PM.]

Can you discuss sun exposure to graph area? Will sun exposure damage the graph site? Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

EJR

[This message was edited by Pat - editor and "Recovered Bald Guy" on October 28, 2001 at 02:21 PM.]

• Administrators

EJR,

Sun exposure and its effects on graft growth is an excellent question. I know it is a concern before and after surgery - especially a sun burn.

I will transfer your post to ask a doctor topic so that we can all get an informed medical opinion.

Thanks for the post. Pat

Thanks for reading this post. But it's your posts that make this discussion group real and vital. Please jump into the discussion. Just pick a topic and click the reply button.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

The hair follicle is placed deep in the scalp, almost 1/4th inch from the surface. The skin in the graft usually comes from the donor area, which for most of us is covered by hair and has not been exposed to the sun, so has limited protection built up. If new transplants are exposed to direct sunlight you may burn and discolor the top of the skin, but the follicle underneath should not be affected. I have seen quite a bit of permanent discoloration related to premature skin exposure. We usually recommend a hat or sunblock for 3 months after transplantation, and it is recognized that all of us have to be careful about sun exposure all the time.

sun exposure in the first week after hair restoration surgery if severe enough could potentially inhibit a small percentage of grafts from growing, However, the larger concern is that it can take several months for the skin to completely heal. It is very important not to expose the skin in the transplanted area before all pigmentation has returned to normal. A permanant redness could be the result, which may cause unwanted attention to that area.

Light non-burning sun exposure should not be a problem. While it is true that sun rays do not penetrate to the depth of the growth areas of the hair, a sunburn even mild can cause inflammation. The inflammation definitely penetrates to the growth areas. Because of this, you should really restrict your unprotected (without cap) activities for a couple of weeks after the transplant.

I have seen many patients so enthusiastic to get back to their routine that they don't take care of their investment with the transplant. Be smart.

Dr. Parsley

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

• 5 years later...
If new transplants are exposed to direct sunlight you may burn

It has been 7 weeks post operation for myself and I am currently travelling in Afrcia. There is a lot off sun exposure in this part off the world. Even though I have been cautiious with a hat when I'm in the sun, occasionally there have been times when I have been in the sun without a hat for periods off 10 to 20 minutes.

I believe this may have happened 7 times in the last 2 weeks when I was in the sun for short intervals (10 to 15 minutes) without any protection. Should I be worried?

A response from a doctor or anyone knowledgeable wouls be very much appreciated.

Alps,

Welcome to the forums. I want to remind you that it's important to look at the date and time stamp before replying to a post. But I congratulate you...I think you now have the record for responding to the OLDEST post I've seen yet....2001...good job icon_biggrin.gif.

Regarding your question...I think the above posts should have covered your question, however, I'd say that any worry you may be experiencing should be limited. 10-20 minutes in direct sunlight isn't great, but it's not bad. As doctor's have posted above, elongated exposure to direct sunlight may impact a small percentage of graft survival, however, it definitely can cause a permanent redness if you expose the skin to the sun too early. Though the recommendation from some doctors is 3 months, I personally normally wait about 6.

I'd say...don't worry...but in the future...wear a hat.

Bill