Suggestion Regarding HT

Hi,

I am 26 years old guy, loosing hair since i am 19.Having thick hair in donor area, Front -sides of the head are completely bald,having hair in the crown area but becoming thin nowadays.After doing a lot of research in this forum, i decided 2 gofor HT either with Dr. Jeffrey Epstein (Miami) or Bobby L. Limmer(San Antonio,TX) in July.At present i am staying in Dallas.

1.Please sugget me who is the right Doctor as per my hair condition.

2.I used 2 shave my head for every 2 to 3 years irrespective of hair loss.Can i shave my head after hair transplantation.Lets say 2 years after my HT.If so , whether Transplated hair will re grow or not.I am worring about this.

Guys, suggest me.If possibel i will post my pics soon.

Thanks

Hi,

I am 26 years old guy, loosing hair since i am 19.Having thick hair in donor area, Front -sides of the head are completely bald,having hair in the crown area but becoming thin nowadays.After doing a lot of research in this forum, i decided 2 gofor HT either with Dr. Jeffrey Epstein (Miami) or Bobby L. Limmer(San Antonio,TX) in July.At present i am staying in Dallas.

1.Please sugget me who is the right Doctor as per my hair condition.

2.I used 2 shave my head for every 2 to 3 years irrespective of hair loss.Can i shave my head after hair transplantation.Lets say 2 years after my HT.If so , whether Transplated hair will re grow or not.I am worring about this.

Guys, suggest me.If possibel i will post my pics soon.

Thanks

dbk - I am not really sure as to a doc to suggest but I am also 26, was losing my hair for a long time and had the surgery in July. The first time you notice your hair line coming back in, you will laugh that you ever waited so long. Amazing feeling. I have seen a lot of people on this forum that have shaved their head. I am sure after a while the scar would become hard to notice... Good luck...and just do it. The surgery downtime, etc...will be worth it in no time.

dbk,

Welcome to the forums.

Both Dr. Epstein and Dr. Limmer are quality physicians. I believe, both are on the conservative side regarding the number of grafts they will take in one session...so that is something to consider. I admit I've seen more of Dr. Epsteins work...but both being coalition doctors, that is a step in the right direction.

A couple of tips:

1. Post some pictures for us so we can get a better feel for where you are. Not much we can really recommend for you without pictures of your hairloss condition

2. If you are not already on finasteride, get on it for at least 6 months to a year before jumping into an HT. This will help strengthen any hair that is currently dying. You could also regrow some hair

3. Don't let location determine which physician you go to see.

4. Do your homework...spend a lot of time looking at before/after pictures of REAL patients apart from the clinic's website and only go to the doctor once you are comfortable that they produce consistent results.

5. Learn as much as you can about hair transplantation and all the risks and benefits that go along with it BEFORE you get a hair transplant. I am going against what 26firsttimehair is advising with advice such as "and just do it". It might indeed be the right path for you...but decide with knowledge and education, not out of pure emotion to get your hair back.

I hope this helps start you out a bit.

Bill

You've gotten some great advice.

About the head shaving, if you don't want to see a long smile shaped scar on the back and sides of your head, no, you can't shave it.

Look at the HT results from those of us here that have developed blogs or posted pics. See if you can find one that is like yours for comparison. The quality of HT work today is great so I don't doubt you'd be pleased with the results if you choose your surgeon wisely.

The Docs you mention do quality work.............as Bill mentioned, I would also add that you want to see how many grafts you need to cover the area of loss. Some surgeons do not perform session sizes larger than 2,000-3,000 grafts. If you need more, you'll need to consider consulting with those who can deliver larger sessions as it will be more cost effective for you to as many as can safely be harvested in one session.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I have been getting excellent advice from Hairbank and Bill. They both know what they are talking about.

Originally I was going to get a HT from one of the conservative Docs. When I did more research I realized that I needed more grafts to achieve the results I wanted. I ended up going with a doctor that was willing to do more than 3000 grafts on me.

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairbank addressed a crucial point regarding head shaving. Some of the top physician's in the field are employing methods of hair restoration, whether with STRIP surgery or Follicular Extraction/Isolation, that enable patients to clip their hair very short without noticeable scarring. However, it is not reasonable for a doc or clinic to give the impression that patients are going to be able to shave their heads after surgery.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

However, it is not reasonable for a doc or clinic to give the impression that patients are going to be able to shave their heads after surgery.

If you add "and not show a visible scar" after your statements, this is very true. Shave your head all you like, but NO surgery is without scars and at very short lengths, the scar can and most likely will be visible. It's just the type of scar you will receive, depending on the method you choose whether FUE or Strip.

Bill