almost 24 and getting frustrated with the impact of this on my life. I went to a doc and said that I should wait cuz of possible shock-loss to surrounding hair, but I dont want to be old and fix this problem. Any help and advice from the veterans would be great.

Baldenstein,

Are you on Propecia or Proscar (finasteride) and/or Rogaine (minoxidil)? I'd consider trying these non-surgical treatments first in order to potentially slow down or stop hair loss, strengthen existing hair, and potentially regrow some.

If you can successfully strengthen your existing hair with finasteride, any "shock loss" you experience should be temporary.

Number of grafts will vary depending on the areas you are targeting, your desired (and possible) density, etc, but I'd say for a nice all around cosmetic difference with good coverage and density, I'd suggest approximately 4000 grafts (assuming you don't lose any more existing hair). Be sure to consult with an elite surgeon who can tell you your available donor hair and how many sessions you will need to achieve your goals.

Considering using our animated graft calculator which can be used as a tool to help you determine how many grafts you might need to meet your goals.

Best wishes,

Bill