Poor Hygiene and Hairloss

guitar557

Something Ive been thinking about lately since it seems odd to me that I lost a lot of hair so rapidly. As a kid, up to about 18, I was depressed and had pretty bad hygiene habits. I mean, I wouldnt wash my hair very often, and I would sweat, play sports, and not even care too much. I was not very gentle with my hair either, I scratched, and when i did wash I used hot water. What I noticed when my hair was first falling out was not just regular hairs, but they were coming out with small white formations on the tips. It seems these little white balls were coming straight out of my scalp, like the whole hair follicle or something had dried out and died. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Anyway, Im guessing this may have resulted from an infection, fungus, or just very bad hygiene. I live a much more healthy lifestyle now, and I am wondering if this hairloss might be reversible or if it indicates some other problem? I would like to get some opinions here before I see a doctor

guitar-

This has been discussed before. Opinions will vary, but, no, I personally don't think it makes much difference. May your hair appear a little healthier with a better diet and if you use products good for hair............yes. However, if you have Male-Pattern-Baldness and the hair is being attacked by DHT, it will continue to miniturize over the years and eventually be gone for good.

The only exceptions to this are loss from other than MPB like a skin disease or other relating issues. My cousin had this and you could tell........he lost "patches" of hair, nothing similar to MPB. In several places on top of his head he had really thick, healthy hair. The areas affected by the skin disease lost hair and had a reddish tint.

I remember seeing, and still see, ton's of guys who smoke, drink.......totally don't take care of their body or hair and have 3cm foreheads with more great-looking hair than I had before I experienced loss.

Again, other than if you have some sort of skin ailment, the only things that can MILDLY reverse MPB are products with Finasteride, Duasteride or Minoxidil.

I'd recommend you see a Doc but this is likely what you will hear.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Good one, NN!! icon_biggrin.gif

Reminds me, I saw a recent pic of Eddie Van Halen..........I guess he was going into rehab or something. Man, he looked rough, but his hair still didn't look too bad. icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 3 weeks later...

Plenty of bums on the street with great hair

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!