TaraSilk's Photos (updated)

Ok...with some trepidation, I am posting what I suppose are my official "before" photos. Surgery day is just over two weeks away, and I now am more exited than anxious! icon_smile.gif

The first photo shows me with my hair styled the typical way for me...I'm not using any styling products in this picture (I usually don't anyway). The wavy texture of my hair is usually good at concealing what is going on underneath my bangs.

The second picture shows my hairline (which is my main concern!), and the third and fourth are my left and right temples. All of which will be the chief focus of my upcoming surgery (1800 to 1900 grafts planned), with some additional work done on top, when possible, to add additional fullness there.

9521016113_E321F75E23B49EDB9A8AADD9464D326F.jpg.thumb 8911009513_8A1C0B9F01C17AA459727886DA713F41.jpg.thumb 8601009513_6B7D2B5776A49C90D688D75AE6028A60.jpg.thumb 8521016113_B4A2299B16C6CB789B38234D54266513.jpg.thumb 8111009513_F681BD76D22106C72E22E5B1878E2314.jpg.thumb 7521016113_95719231A678FB69B297C284949C33DE.jpg.thumb 6901009513_F12E0B1DB503E3A96BD47881D1C6980D.jpg.thumb 6521016113_5964031D7CB59AF955632780960E44C1.jpg.thumb 6211009513_CA3934ED1BC9E4F4448858F724D4CB97.jpg.thumb 5511009513_3F61D01378FCE4B210C1595527B7A289.jpg.thumb 5201009513_562AC1DECA2D3AB2F6004703AEE62DB7.jpg.thumb 2501009513_42433FB780C6CAA4355F2E4758A0C516.jpg.thumb

Hi T

Your hairloss is very minimal and obviously you have good hair but 1800 is quite a lot of grafts for this area. I am assuming you are a female?

How old are you? Have you lost the hair or have you always had this type of hairline?

Who is your HT doc?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I am a female. icon_smile.gif I'm in my early 40's, and my HT doc is Dr. Epstein.

No, I haven't always had this type of hairline....I have a medical condition (PCOS) which is known to cause MPB-like hairloss in women. icon_frown.gif My husband took these pics and they don't really show that I also have some diffuse thinning on top. The diffuse thinning isn't nearly as dramatic as what is going on at my hairline or the recession at my temples, but there are spaces within the diffuse thinning which I understand can be relatively safely addressed. The sides and back are still thick though.

Tara,

Glad to see you post your photos on the forum. We look forward to seeing your post op pics and your progress!

I've had the priviledge of talking with TaraSilk in PMs regarding her situation. From the pictures it's a little hard to tell, but if you look closely at a couple of them, you can see the diffiuse thinning in the hairline itself, not to mention that it is slightly receeded. I think based on the description and the pics that 1800 grafts should do just nicely, especially since Dr. Epstein recommended as many.

Keep us posted!

Bill

Good luck, Tara! Your hairline recession is similar to how mine looked before my transplant 14 months ago. I received about 1550 FUs in my temples, didn't lower my hairline any. I'm happy with my results. You'll be in good hands with Dr. Epstein. Just be prepared that the first few weeks will be a little tough physically and the first 4 months challenging emotionally while you wait for results to come. But they will come!

I'll tell you a few things that helped me in the first few weeks. I slept in a recliner for almost three weeks, as I sleep on my sides a lot and didn't want to risk yanking out any grafts. I also took Ambien the first few weeks, as sleeping in a recliner wasn't all that comfortable.

I would discuss with your doc about the risks involved in transplanting into areas where there is significant hair already (the thinning spots you mentioned). We girls tend to lose more hair to shockloss, and if you shock out hair that's already weakened, you may end up not netting much gain. I'm sure Dr. E. can guide you in that area.

Again, best of luck to you! Grow well.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! icon_smile.gif

Angel...thanks for the information....I did cover the possiblility of shockloss...but it is always good to keep that in mind.

By the way, would you believe that we just bought a new recliner? It wasn't for this purpose of course, but it is so plush and comfy that you almost can't help but fall asleep in it!!! icon_smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Photos updated with pics taken 5 days post HT, as well as with a pic which shows my pre-HT diffuse thinning on top. Tomorrow (Tuesday) will be Day 7. Thought it didn't feel like a day at the spa the entire procedure was surprisingly not too uncomfortable, and I slept well that same night (sitting up in a recliner, of course). My donor density turned out to be better than expected, and I ended up with 2337 grafts rather than the estimated 1800-1900. I don't know the exact breakdown though.

I haven't seen anything what I would call shockloss yet...but I also haven't lost a single scab or crust yet either. Today (Day 6) was the first day I let the shower hit the grafts directly. I haven't noticed if any of the hair shafts from the grafts have fallen out.

All of the facial swelling I posted about on another thread is gone...you guys were right. icon_smile.gif Last night was the first night I slept in a bed rather than a recliner..what a relief!!!

My main issue really is that the donor area is a bit uncomfortable...it feels tight and itchy, especially at the right and left points where the end sutures are. I've been applying pure aloe vera gel there, and it does seem to help somewhat.

I'll try to post more photos as things progress. icon_smile.gif

Tarasilk,

Congratulations again on your HT. I think the post op photos show more of your hair loss condition than the pre-op photos. I'm sure this is because of the way you style your hair icon_wink.gif.

Since I've already responded in detail to you privately, I won't say the same things all over again icon_wink.gif. But...please keep us posted.

I'm sure the other thread about swelling is not gone...but it might be hidden. If you click on your name on the left hand side and choose "View recent posts by Tarasilk", I'm sure you'll find the thread icon_wink.gif.

I also see you have written me a PM...I will read and respond to you either today or tomorrow icon_wink.gif

Bill

Tarasilk-

congratulations on what looks to be a nice job by Dr. E. That number of grafts should really fill things in nicely for you. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.