IM 20 YO, AND IM THINKING ABOUT GETTING A HT...NEED ADVICE

OscarMadrid

Hi. I'm 20 years old, and since I was 14 I remember having problems with Seborrheic Dermatitis. My father is almost 100% bald. However, my brother is 30, and he has kept most of his hair. My sister got also problems with hair density, but her situation cannot be noticed.

I'm won't give lots of details, but when I was 15 I was detected with HIV because I was sexually abused when I was younger.

Due to a medicina called Crixivan, which is vital for me, my hair loss rate increased. However, through an alternative treatment based on scalp massages and shampoos, I was able to clean up my scalp of seborrheic dermatitis. That helped me to slow down the hair loss process.

However, I still continue losing hair, but it has been homogenous. I mean that I haven't lost much hair on specific areas, but I've lost hair a constant rate throught my scalp.

Even though I still have hair in the hole head, the density doesn not correspond at all to someone that is just 20 years old. You can easily notice my baldness problem. I use Topic sometimes, but it really doesnt work that well with me.

I thought about getting propecia, but my doctor did not recommend it because my health situation is perfect right now, and he doesnt want to take more medicines that may affect my current HIV treatment.

I have no idea how many years I'm going to live due to my HIV problem, but these last years have been a pain a for me because I don't feel comfortable at all with my baldness situation. I'm really looking forward to enjoy the rest of my life, and I think getting back some of the hair lost will help me gain confidence. I'm not expecting to die to die soon because my HIV problems looks to be in a perfect balance, but you never know what's going to happen in the future.

I would like to get some feedback from you to see how do u think about my situation, and if u think a hp is possible.

Thanks a lot

[This message was edited by OscarMadrid on September 12, 2003 at 10:55 AM.]

Hi. I'm 20 years old, and since I was 14 I remember having problems with Seborrheic Dermatitis. My father is almost 100% bald. However, my brother is 30, and he has kept most of his hair. My sister got also problems with hair density, but her situation cannot be noticed.

I'm won't give lots of details, but when I was 15 I was detected with HIV because I was sexually abused when I was younger.

Due to a medicina called Crixivan, which is vital for me, my hair loss rate increased. However, through an alternative treatment based on scalp massages and shampoos, I was able to clean up my scalp of seborrheic dermatitis. That helped me to slow down the hair loss process.

However, I still continue losing hair, but it has been homogenous. I mean that I haven't lost much hair on specific areas, but I've lost hair a constant rate throught my scalp.

Even though I still have hair in the hole head, the density doesn not correspond at all to someone that is just 20 years old. You can easily notice my baldness problem. I use Topic sometimes, but it really doesnt work that well with me.

I thought about getting propecia, but my doctor did not recommend it because my health situation is perfect right now, and he doesnt want to take more medicines that may affect my current HIV treatment.

I have no idea how many years I'm going to live due to my HIV problem, but these last years have been a pain a for me because I don't feel comfortable at all with my baldness situation. I'm really looking forward to enjoy the rest of my life, and I think getting back some of the hair lost will help me gain confidence. I'm not expecting to die to die soon because my HIV problems looks to be in a perfect balance, but you never know what's going to happen in the future.

I would like to get some feedback from you to see how do u think about my situation, and if u think a hp is possible.

Thanks a lot

[This message was edited by OscarMadrid on September 12, 2003 at 10:55 AM.]

You may find resistance getting surgery with your HIV status. I'm not really sure how it all works getting surgery and being HIV positive but it seems very likely you would be declined. I also would definitely listen to your doctor concerning meds. Perhaps a less invasive drug like minoxidil would be tolerable? I would also consider shaving your head and just forgetting about it.

Sorry about your troules my friend. But, from what I have read, no reputable doctor would perform a transplant on a 20 year old.

In fact, I would be very cautious of any doctor who would even consider it.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

Oscar,

I wish I could add something more positive than what these guys have written, but I'm afraid they are both right. For one, since HT is such a bloody operation, and not medically necessary (purely cosmetic), physicians have the right to deny you based on your HIV status, and you will have a hard time finding one that doesn't.

Secondly, I would definitely listen to your doctor regarding Propecia. It alters your hormonal balance, and specifically testosterone levels in your blood. This is not something you want to mess with if you're HIV positive.

Finally, Joe is right. Although every single person on this board can certainly sympathize with the humiliation and degradation you feel, 20 years old is just too young to consider a transplant. That's because you have no way of determining at that age what your ultimate stage of hair loss will be, so it's impossible to map out a natural looking transplant.

As much as I am opposed to them, if you don't like the idea of going for the shaved look, I think your best option is probably a hair piece. I will probably be stoned for saying that on this forum, but given your particular set of contraints, it's worth consideration.

Best of luck to you,

Tedd

I want to add one thing to all the great advice already given. Please consider that surgery can cause trauma which could set into motion other serious complications related to your HIV status. You said your health right now is great....please do not do anything to compromise that. We all bitch and moan about our hairloss but you are truly dealing with a life threatening illness and need to make treating that the number one priority. Good luck and keep in touch with everyone here as it's a great source for support.

I'm kind of dissapointed. I was expecting better news.

I will not take Propecia because I don't want to affect my actual treatment. My HIV virus count is nelegible, and my whole inmune system falls within the normal range. My medications, nutrition, and exercise plans had kept me in excellent shape.

You have no idea what if feels to be sexually abused as a kid, and realize that you are HIV positive when you are just 15.

Nowadays, I feel alive again after many years, and getting more hair would make my life much, much better. I really would like to get a HP, but as you say, doctors wouldn't do it because of my age and my HIV status.

However, I was wondering how guys with HIV deal with this situation. I'm sure in places like California, where there are millions of people who are HIV positive, deal with baldness problem

Are you sure doctors do not practice it with HIV people?

Listen bro, I know how you feel. I am currently 21 years old and I am a 3 to 4 on the norwood scale. I have gotten an hair plant about 1000 grafs two months ago by taking a conservative approach. If you insist on having a transplant then go for it. However, I think you should seriously consider it due to your unfortunate situation. And more often than not, a single hair transplantation might not be enough. So money should also be considered. I think shave your head would be a better solution. Furthermore, even with hair transplants, you should still take propecia as a complement. But due to ur current status, propecia might not be good for you, and thus I believe shave your head completely would be the suitable choice. Just shave your head, get a healthy muscular body, and you would look very fashionable. And yes, the ladies will love you!! That's what I am planning to do if my transplant doesn't pan out.

Oscar-

Again, sorry to be the bearer, but you really shouldn't do it.

If you read through past posts, like jenn-24. She had other problems going on, and just jumped into a HT by a hairmill that probably never should have done it. She had further complications, and from her posts, I think she wished she wouldn't have done it. (If anyone's heard from her, lemme know I'd love to hear she's doing well).

Your complications seem even worse than hers and it could really mess you up, and you might end up regretting it.

Again - sorry.

Further, take it from someone who wore a hairpiece for 8 years or so. They suck.

At first it's traumatic because everyone knows you got one and you feel like an idiot. But, you're trapped and can't just toss it.

Then, you always assume that you are the one person who can pull it off, and it looks fine, and no one notices. But, you only see it in the mirror, and believe me, with sun bleaching wind, etc. etc. it will be noticable at some time.

You can also give up on swimming (pool water bleaches it), heavy excersize (sweat can push the adhesive right off), and pretty much ever feeling like other's aren't thinking about it - it instills paranoia like nothing else.

Sorry for rambling - just don't do the wig either - it sucks.

Like Maverick said - shave it all and work out.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

Yikes, Joe

I've never worn a piece, but after hearing your tales of woe, I will heartily retract my previous suggestion. I don't think it's even worth considering as on option!! Just shave it and be done with it. I never thought of all the annoyance that a piece would bring, but hearing it from the voice of experience, it sure sounds like nothing I'd want any part of.

Great post, Joe! Very informative.

Thanks!

From my experience most if not all surgeons require HIV history/or testing and will not conduct surgery because of all the open wounds and blood. In addition, 20 yrs is way too young and most docs will not consider unless your 25 at the youngest will extreme hairloss-- which yours sounds like mild currently.

My suggestion, is when it gets too thin/noticable for you-- shave it all off and go to a tanning salon a couple of times a week-- tan and smooth looks good. Grow a "go T" and buy a pair of designer specs/glasses. Good luck.