would appreciate a little advice

jessie

Hey guys, thanks for looking at my post. I am 28 and suffering from a receding hairline - which I have always been self conscious about (see attached pic). My hair loss is not genetic - its actually from traction alopecia due to my hairstyling as a child. Anyways, I have pretty thick dense hair except for my hairline, which as you can see is quite receded. I have always kept my hair long (usually wear it in a pony-tail) since I wasn't sure what else can be done. I am considering a HT, but not sure if I am up for the whole process just yet. I was just wondering if any of you had some general advice...I even wonder if I should try to a new haircut to maybe mask my hairline a little (w/o getting a complete combover that is.) Any suggestions on that too would be helpful - especially if you know a hairstylist in the NYC area that could help me out. Thanks so much for taking the time,

Jessie

image1.JPG.804f3d9ba2cea82b8f9dae0b60d26339.JPG

Hey guys, thanks for looking at my post. I am 28 and suffering from a receding hairline - which I have always been self conscious about (see attached pic). My hair loss is not genetic - its actually from traction alopecia due to my hairstyling as a child. Anyways, I have pretty thick dense hair except for my hairline, which as you can see is quite receded. I have always kept my hair long (usually wear it in a pony-tail) since I wasn't sure what else can be done. I am considering a HT, but not sure if I am up for the whole process just yet. I was just wondering if any of you had some general advice...I even wonder if I should try to a new haircut to maybe mask my hairline a little (w/o getting a complete combover that is.) Any suggestions on that too would be helpful - especially if you know a hairstylist in the NYC area that could help me out. Thanks so much for taking the time,

Jessie

Hi Jessie and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your situation. It is certainly tough to deal with these things sometimes.

Anyway, I would check out Dr.'s Feller and Epstein in your immediate area and please do a consult with Dr. Griffin in Atlanta.

I think he does spectacular female repair for traction alopecia, but is a bit under the radar at times.

If you check the Coalition Docs, you will be able to check each of these Docs and open their websites.

Please let us know how things go and feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Cheers!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

OOPS!!!!! OK, well you have to give me a break on that one, right!!!!!! icon_confused.gif

Everything in your post was so ambiguous, I thought you were a woman!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY with the traction alopecia comment.

I thought your pic was a little odd, but hey, the good thing is, all of these docs are really top notch, so I would scratch Griffin, and start with Epstein and Feller in NYC area and go from there!

Damn, I am sure going to get my ass handed to me for this one!!!!!

I bet all of my smart-ass buddies are waiting to crack on me any moment now!!!!

Oh Well, Sorry about misdiagnosing your gender, buddy!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

OK B-Spot, first wise ass comment. Turn in your hair advice card, you need to get out more often! icon_wink.gif

Jessie,

Welcome,

Your hair looks pretty good for a man! Sorry, just kidding. Actually, it does look pretty good and you are in no need of a HT right now. Just educate yourself on the option though in case you need it down the road. Might look into propecia to control any more loss.

Just curious, what hairstyle would have caused the traction alopecia, braids, cornrows or something?

NoBuzz

Thanks for the advice fellas...it was tightly pulled back hair in braids that did me in. Any advice of hair styling which might not make the hairline so obvious - i.e. cutting it really short, spiking it in front, maybe slightly combing hair foward instead of back, etc... thks

jess

Jessie,

Traction alopecia is something we see quite often as Vancouver has a large population of southeast asians (Sikhs). As juveniles they wear turbans which requires their hair to be pulled quite tight.

I'd suggest the comb forward style for you, or at least give it a try with the aid of a good stylist. Aside from that if you are considering a HT you need to take into account family hairloss history. Even if you don't think any of this is genetic you may be affected by this in the future.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jessie,

The front hair-line being thin or receded (for whatever reason) is tough to remedy short of a hair transplant. Another option to combing foward and making some bangs might be a side-part on the thicker side to cover the thinner side with some hair. The comb straight-back doo is definitely the toughest to pull-off. Finesteride (as mentioned above) might help thicken up some hairs that have miniturized due to male pattern baldness or even regrow some hair, but it tends to be least effective in the front and most effective in the crown/vertex area. Camoflauge cover-ups are also the toughest to make look good/natural in the hairline. But possibly with another hair style they may help a little. Toppik is small fibers that can really make thinning hair behind the hairline look thick and natural (when correctly color matched and there is some existing hair), but is not going to be of much help in the front-most hairline. I use Toppik and like it a lot. DermMatch is a paint-on type of cosmetic that takes some time and practice to apply skillfully, but it works well for some people -- although again it isn't recomendeded for the very-front hairline. Maybe with an alternative hair style one of these cosmetics would help some. Finally, if at some point you do want to do a free consult with a Hair Transplant Surgeon, I would recommend Dr. True right in mid-town Manhatten. I've had two transplants with him and was quite pleased both times. He also used to have DermMatch samples, although that was a few years ago and I don't know if he still does. It is never a bad idea to try to use whatever non-evasive methods that work to mask your thinning to delay/avoid surgery. Surgery is expensive, seriously impacts your lifestyle while recovering, and is more-or-less irreversable. In addition, the longer you wait to have surgery, the closer your hair loss pattern will be to it's final stable state. In turn, this helps the hair loss doctor to be able to deliver treatment that will require minimum revision to maintain an acceptable look. I hope the above helps...

GratefulHead