Advice please

Toad_NW3

Hello all,

I am planning on having surgery in December from Dr. Lehr in OKC. He has me scheduled for 2000 grafts. I will need to go to a speaking engagement roughly 5 weeks later. Do you think I will be healed by that time?

I understand there could be some shock loss, but I'm more concerned with any severe redness, possible donor area looking badly, and pimples.

What would your advice be? Would you go forward with the surgery (which is my gut feeling b/c I will have more than two weeks completely away from all civilization)? Or would you wait until another time? From your expierences will I be healed by then?

thanks,

ian

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.

Hello all,

I am planning on having surgery in December from Dr. Lehr in OKC. He has me scheduled for 2000 grafts. I will need to go to a speaking engagement roughly 5 weeks later. Do you think I will be healed by that time?

I understand there could be some shock loss, but I'm more concerned with any severe redness, possible donor area looking badly, and pimples.

What would your advice be? Would you go forward with the surgery (which is my gut feeling b/c I will have more than two weeks completely away from all civilization)? Or would you wait until another time? From your expierences will I be healed by then?

thanks,

ian

Hello ianasjones,

I'm not familiar with Dr. Lehr's work personally, but that doesn't mean anything...I am not the end all on doctors like a lot of people here are. But where did you hear of him?

In my opinion, 5 weeks should be enough time to look somewhat normal again. You may still have some pinkness on the recipient area, some shedding, and some shockloss, and your hair may or may not be much shorter depending on if the doctor is shaving your recipient area. So it's a tough question to answer really. I'm about 4.5 weeks post op now and I look close to normal again...but my hair is shorter and a little thinner due to some shedding and maybe some shockloss.

Whether or not you proceed at this point is obviously totally up to you. I know I had a wedding in October so I planned my surgery after the wedding so I didn't have to be exposed in social situations as long as possible. I can't very well get away with wearing a hat at a wedding icon_wink.gif

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Bill

I do appreciate the reply. I am trying to take in as many opinions as possible as far as my choice to proceed.

I found Dr. Lehr on the bald truth website. Then once I did research I would find his name in literature. He took over for Dr. Norwood (famous for his classifications of hairloss). Then I met Dr. Lehr for consult and he was extremely professional and kind. I took a friend of my who is a lady (not that kind of friend) who has had a few non HT procedures and said she would go to him in a heartbeat. He is recommended by this site, but not coalition.

He does not cut the hair (except the strip for donor), so I am free to let my hair grow before I go in. I'm a NW 3 and he will be doing 2000 grafts.

You said you are 4.5 weeks out, are you still pink? Are you on propecia? I've been on fin for 15 months now which it is my understanding will help prevent shockloss (not take it entirely out of the picture though).

Did you/have you expierenced any pimples on the hairline?

What are your suggestions for facilitating a fast recovery?

Thank you for all your imput.

ian

Jones, do a search on Dr. Lehr, as he has had a 1 or 2 not so happy patients where he has refunded the cost of surgery.

Do several more consults just to see what others may say.

If you are satisfied, by all means, go ahead and happy growing.

Just make sure you check ALL options beforehand.

Welcome and feel free to ask any questions!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for your reply B spot. I know of hthtr's expierence and I feel for him. You mentioned possibly two, but that is the only one I know of. I suspect that what happened to hthtr is not about a lack of skill on Dr. Lehr's part, but one of those unfortunate things that can occur with surgery. I read all of the posts surrounding that event.

Your signature says you had surgery on 10/7/05. How were you three weeks out? Pink? Pimples? Shock loss? Were you on propecia before the surgery?

Thanks,

ian

Ive heard people not haveing results at all from him I dont know about you but I would not even dare and I have nada to gain by this post I just dont want to see anouther piece of s#&! butcher do this again just because you have adate dont mean nothing think about it.

You said you are 4.5 weeks out, are you still pink? Are you on propecia? I've been on fin for 15 months now which it is my understanding will help prevent shockloss (not take it entirely out of the picture though).

Did you/have you expierenced any pimples on the hairline?

What are your suggestions for facilitating a fast recovery?

Yep, still experiencing pinkness, but it's not there all day...only when I gently massage it because of some itchiness, or when I'm done working out. Yes, Finasteride should help with shockloss a bit....but more so with permanent shockloss (which can happen if you had/have miniaturized hairs that was destined to fall out anyway). Finasteride didn't save me from shockloss on the second surgery...I only started Propecia at the same time as my first surgery. Yes, pimples on the hairline happen, and all over the head here and there occasionally as the new hairs are starting to grow in. It's a sign of growth and should be expected.

As far as facilitating a fast recovery...there are a number of answers on this....however, Dr. Hasson recommends Vitamin E Oil or Aloe for redness...other than that...heal naturally...many of these healing sprays and products he considers a waste of time and money.

Bill