The 17% of people Propecia doesn't work on...

ttaco

I just started using propecia 2 months ago. I understand from testing that has been done that it works on 83% of patients who use it. My questions is: of the 17% it doesn't work on, does it mainly tend to not work on people who are "very bald" or could it just as easily not work on someone who still has a decent amount of hair? In other words, are there certain similarities in the patients who it didn't work on. THANKS!

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

I just started using propecia 2 months ago. I understand from testing that has been done that it works on 83% of patients who use it. My questions is: of the 17% it doesn't work on, does it mainly tend to not work on people who are "very bald" or could it just as easily not work on someone who still has a decent amount of hair? In other words, are there certain similarities in the patients who it didn't work on. THANKS!

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

ttaco

I've been using finasteride (propecia) for the last 18 months. I'm 35 and initial signs were encoraging, reduced hair loss in the shower, on the pilloe etc. I've got nor problem with the crown, just front line visibility.

More recently I've been somewhat disappointed, shedding is continuing apace. density is becoming poorer amd my hair now feels like straw.

One of my work colleagues joked recently "have I been wearing a hair net" ...but it was no joke, people are strating to notice the change.

I would appreciate views/comments from other finasteride users who have been taking for a similar duration

BS

PS Anyone out there actively using duetestaride ?

Dutasteride is not available here, yet.

I wish I had some good advice regarding your shedding. I've seen other people suggest "just ride it out", or in other cases consider increasing your dosage. Another option would be to consider adding to your regimen, although I'm not sure what to suggest. Propecia is currently the best treatment available.

Hopefully this shedding phase will subside, I believe they are typically temporary.

Hang in there...

• 1 month later...

What you might be experiencing is actual new growth due to the Propecia. New hairs may be pushing the old hairs out of the follicle, therefore I would continue to use the medication. See Dr Lee's explanation of this on Hairlosshelp.com under ask an expert. It could just be signaling that its beginning to work for you.

I have been using it for about 2 years and about 6 months ago, I had a some shedding for about 4-5 weeks (visble in the shower drain), but it stopped and have not seen anything recently. Overall, I don't observe any hairloss, so I think it may have just been shedding and mostly replaced with new hairs. Not sure.

I was on a .5 mg dose for about 22 months and just recently when to quartered proscar which is 1.25 mg, so hopefully that will help.

I am looking at Avodart, but it looks very expensive (for the time being).