UPDATE - 5 Weeks post 5/07 Feller repair surgery

hair2stay

hair2stay-

For some reason I didn't notice the plugs as much in your earlier pics but I can definitely see them here.

As i mentioned before, I think your in a good position for repair work. Just talk to one of the Doc's recommended to you for hairline work and see what they say.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi

Good density and it hides well but nothing a good doc can't fix.. Trust me , most would trade for your situtation. Nice hair quality.

What type of work did you have and where? Grafts # etc. ?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

JOBI-

You can read about H2Stay's experience in this thread.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 5 weeks later...

Here we go folks, back on the HT train! After speaking with H&W, Shapiro, Feller, Epstein & Bernstein I elected to go forth and entrust Dr Feller with the future of my follicular journey. H&W and Feller felt strongly about 1500+ grafts in and around existing mini/micro's with no excision. Shapiro responded the same, though gave me the option to excise. Epstein proposed a combo of excise + grafts in one surgery. Bernstein suggested full excision, reimplantation and another 800+ grafts requiring 3 total surgeries to complete the work. I did photo consults with all of them and visited Feller & Bernstein in person as well.

For those of you who don't recall my other thread, with history, I was the victim of 2 surgeries of aprox 100+ each in '92-'93, by Dr Leonard of RI, who should have turned me away at the ripe age of 23. Another 2 surgeries of aprox 300 by Bosley in '94-'95 and lastly 950 by Dr Bernstein in '98. All along it was the "we'll stay one step ahead of your hairloss" sales pitch and, "come on back and we'll fill in the gaps" approach.

Take a look at the photos and please comment... You'll notice Dr Feller shaved down the recipient area and went to work. I requested a few details... please do not create a straight line wall of hair, recreate a subtle widows peak, and don't let me see any of the old work when it is all grown in.

The 4 day pic's you can begin to see the old HT hairs growing in, in Day 1 pic's they are most noticeable by white shaded areas. I have asked Dr Feller to kindly send along the photos taken from his camera, as well as all of the data regarding graft counts (single vs double) and size of donor harvest. The one photo I really want to see from him is the shaved recipient area prior to incisions.

h2

hair2stay,

Congratulations on choosing Dr. Feller. He does excellent work. I went back to view your photos...the immediately post op results look as they should. I too would like to see the photo(s) of the shaved recipient site before the graft placement...if/when you get those, we'd love to see them.

Please keep us posted bro...and heal well.

Bill

looks great

Dr. Feller's work is well documented and I'm sure your results will be fantastic.. You are luck as you have a good head of hair to work with so this should be it for you

Good luck!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! I gotta say it is nerve racking having faith in the whole process again. Man, and being 10yrs older & wiser now, I look at this whole thing and laugh w/cynicism. It's pretty crazy, the whole concept of tearing out the flesh of one's scalp and stapling it all back together all in the name of hair on the front of your head!

I do have to say the excision of the strip and closure by Dr Feller was very impressive. I know it's been 9 yrs since my last surgery w/dr bernstein, but Feller left an impression of mastery, skill and precision in that part of the process.

I can only hope the same mastery shines through in the placment of the grafts as well. The photos I've posted of day 1 and day 4 demonstrate this well I believe, masking and concealing the old work. Still waiting for Dr Feller's pictures, particularly the shave down shot prior to incisions. I haggled with Dr Feller a bit about the hairline and how to break it up and make sure the old work is not visible. My intuition says bring the whole thing down at least 1cm or more. We discussed this, but Dr Feller was confident that by working in between, behind and around the old work, it would all come together in his words.

Do you know how many times after so many previous surgeries I have heard, "we'll fill in the gaps and it all come together"???!!! I voiced my concerns and told him that I've heard this song & dance way too many times. Dr Feller assured me that his goals were the same as mine and that his dance is different than others. I would think that this approach is a bit more risky, in that going out in front with a lot more hair, 1cm or more, would increase one chances of a better camoflague??? I didn't fully understand Dr Feller's explanation when we discussed this, but I left it in his hands, being more of an expert than I. Perhaps if he reads this thread he can chime in and speak to this, as well as my concerns below...

Now, my main concern is graft survival. If everything grows in as it is seen in the photos I think we'll be looking good. If not, we've got problems. Remember, 5 previous surgeries in that area... I am worried that the blood supply to the new grafts could be marginalized. Of course, now as I look in the mirror the old HT's are growing like weeds and everything else is dormant or already falling out. This is gonna be hard to stomach over the next months ahead, and it's gonna mess with my head day in a day out! Maybe if I stand on my head for many hours a day the blood will get there! Hitting it with minoxidil 2x per day will be on my list of things to do... I hope this can help and is Dr approved!

Stay tuned,

h2

H@Stay-

Hey- thanks so much for posting the update......I remember your story. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. That work from Dr. Feller looks great as I'm sure your results will.

I'll look forward to seeing your updates and hope you heal well, my friend!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

• Moderators
my main concern is graft survival. If everything grows in as it is seen in the photos I think we'll be looking good. If not, we've got problems. Remember, 5 previous surgeries in that area... I am worried that the blood supply to the new grafts could be marginalized.

That shouldn't be a problem. I've had numerous surgeries and even had a transplanted area excised by strip removal to retransplant old plugs and then the resulting scar transplanted into during a later session.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I wouldn't concern myself with that "blood supply" issue. Remember, nature has a hell of a survival instinct. If something WANTS to live, it usually will. Ever seen grass growing right out of concrete? Yep, you have. Those grafts need a blood supply and your body will supply it. Kind of a nasty anology but you've probably seen at least pictures of people with huge tumors hanging off their bodies. Those tumors need a blood supply that wasn't there to begin with. So, the body generates vessels to supply it. I believe in instances where grafts do not survive / produce is mostly from mishandling during removal and placement. Good luck and enjoy!

I actually like the analogy, and would like to think that what you are saying is for real. However, why then is growing hair in scars a problem and why is there less survival in scars? I thought this is a blood supply issue, perhaps I am wrong??? And, aren't there debatable issues with transplanting extremely high density (100/cm) that are related to blood supply?

h2

hair2stay,

I likely missed this somewhere along with way but how many grafts did you receive from Dr. Feller? I'm contemplating hairline/temple work soon and would like to compare to estimate what I'll need.

Thx,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

1500 and change, singles & doubles... I checked out your photos, we have a similar forehead. Hope this helps, but hey I think your results look great, undedtectable and totally natural.

The only reason I keep loading hair into my hairline is because it is still not natural looking. I would be perfectly happy with less hair, as long as it was comletely natural looking.

h2

Day 10 update, posted new pic's. Staples out, soaked my head in tub and popped a few vicodins. Painless and easy, had my wife do it.

New Ht's shedding, old ones shining through. Gonna be a long haul...

Next update will be at one month,

h2

Hair2stay, thanks for your excellent documentation and for keeping us updated. I have a question for you, Dr. Feller or Spex (if he is familiar with your case): In the first picture you posted, i see some frontal single hairs which, while not "pluggy" (because they are singles) do not look that impressive because they are spread too far apart. Yet, Dr. Feller seemed to have worked *behind* these singles and not amidst them. I would have thought that he would have filled in that area, too, to enhance that frontal zone. Am I seeing this incorrectly?

Either way, good luck with your results! And please keep updating us, particularly once you start seeing growth.

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Yeah, hey Bushy, I'm hearing you... And you are seeing things correctly.

Those singles spread about were from Dr Bernstein's surgery back in '98. And, I agree less than impressive. Not sure what good that few number of hairs was going to do, perhaps some more of those and we would be creating a transition zone of sorts.

I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread (may 14) that the Dr and I haggled a bit abut the hairline. I too fully anticipated work in that area. Scroll up a bit and you can read further about the discussion we had and my feelings. After you read that let me know what you think.

h2

Originally posted by hair2stay:

I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread (may 14) that the Dr and I haggled a bit abut the hairline. I too fully anticipated work in that area. Scroll up a bit and you can read further about the discussion we had and my feelings. After you read that let me know what you think.

Thanks. I guess I wasn't clear reading that the first time around that you were referring to the region I mentioned. And, as you said, maybe the good doc himself can "chime in and speak to this." To my eyes, Dr. Feller can clearly place hairline grafts far better than those Bernstein singles, so why not rebuild that area as well?

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Originally posted by Bushy:

so why not rebuild that area as well?

Yep... Like I said earlier, I didn't fully understand his reasoning when we discussed this the morning of surgery. We went back and forth on the hairline prior to surgery. During surgery I stayed on him too, reminding him that I didn't want to see any of the old grafts when it was all said and done.

He assured me, in his words during surgery, "that are goals are the same" Now I get the pleasure of waiting this thing out for 12 - 18 months!

h2

• 4 weeks later...