Dutastride

Bleachcola12

Dutastride is one of the newest DHT blockers, which is only FDA approved and available for the treatment of prostate enlargement at this time. The main difference between Propecia and Dutastride is that Propecia only inhibits the type II form of 5-alpha reductase enzyme by up to 70%, but Dutastride inhibits both type I and type II forms of 5-alpha reductase by up to 90%. As such, Dutastride inhibits DHT production more effectively.

Any opinions?

Well done Bleachcola12,it is proving to be much more effective in the treatment of hair loss. My concern with prescribing it is that the t1/2 (half life) is 30 days). Hence, it takes 5 months for the complete elimination of the dose you take today. The t1/2 of propecia is only 7 hours. Thus it is eliminated within 35 hours. Also, remember that we have been prescribing finesteride for nearly thirty years. One can feel safer that no major dire consequences have yet been reported. I am looking forward to the latest data update at the ISHRS meeting in Montreal, as I have some patients that have been propecia non-responders.