The dreaded island

Hi All,

I am curious to know of the results of people who had HTs in and around the "island" tuft of hair on the front of the head.

It is one of my concerns with a HT, it wouldn't look to great to get all the rest filled in and then the "island" fall out a couple years later, leaving a noticable hole...

Is the hair in the "island" more or less stable? I know mine hasn't changed too much in the last couple years.

Any opinions?

Thanks, Gambo

Hi All,

I am curious to know of the results of people who had HTs in and around the "island" tuft of hair on the front of the head.

It is one of my concerns with a HT, it wouldn't look to great to get all the rest filled in and then the "island" fall out a couple years later, leaving a noticable hole...

Is the hair in the "island" more or less stable? I know mine hasn't changed too much in the last couple years.

Any opinions?

Thanks, Gambo

• 3 weeks later...

Gambo

I was kind of worried about this also. I asked those same questions when I consulted with Dr. Rose in Tampa in March. He explained that when he does a HT on someone with this pattern, such as mine, he will intersperse hairs within this "island" so that there will never be a hole. If that hair does continue thinning, it will thin to approximately the same density as the hairs around it, but not less. If it doesn't thin any more, it will just be a little fuller than those hairs around it. Either way, it turns out to be a natural looking result.

Yup, that would be my take on it too (not ironically, I had the same doctor).

My island is gone and I am SO SO happy. That piece of shit made ALL hairstyles look like shit.

When the hairs started to grow behind that god-foresaken island, I was so excited. Everything else was extra. It changed everything not to have that tuft of hair. It really ruined everything.

True, it is still possible that the tuft will fall out and I'll like a little awkward. If that happens, I'll FUE that hole out of existance.

I can't believe how much better my hair looks just without the tuft. Utterly wonderful transformation.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

I really appreciate the info, I too just want to get rid of the thing & if it comes out I guess FUE would be a very viable option.

When they planted the FUs into the island, did you experience shock loss around it?

I'm really looking forward to getting the whole mess fixed up, my 3 year old calls it my 'little hair'...nice!

Gambo

Gambo:

I was lucky enough to have no shock loss at all anywhere.

I'm going to do an FUE session to bolster my frontal third. I'll ask the doc to put a few FUEs in the tuft.

If I follow my dad's MPB, and I have so far, then I'll retain some of that "tuft hair" my whole lift.

Again, I'll FUE it if it becomes an issue.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

My pictures are posted on this site that show "the island" with post op pictures and end result.

Not much shock loss--but one helluva end result that has only improved thanks to Dr. Shapiro.

My pictures are posted under "view over 400 Before After photos"...then "pictures submitted by visitors"...Mike Ulrich.

Good Luck,

Mike:

I've seen your picts. Congrats on the transformation! That tuft sucks big time. But when it is gone, man, what a difference!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Hi Mike,

Finally got a chance to look at the pics, looking good. It must be a huge relief to have that gone...

How long ago was you HT, and how is it looking now?

Gambo,

You wouldn't even know I had the island a year ago. I had my HT June 2002. The Dr. did intersperse transplanted hair throughout the island and used the bottom hairline of it to create the transplanted hairline. By supplementing the area with just enough transplanted hair, it blends in great to this day. I do have my one year pics but haven't posted them because I've only been back to the site every few months. Since "the island" was part of my past, I read your post.

Look for my pics in a couple days,

Mike

Bob,

If you're asking about above the frontal area, I'm really not sure. I only remember my total number for the entire procedure (2550) and all the Seinfeld episodes I watched while I was in the chair for 8 hours that day.

Mike

Mike,

It looks great. All I'm asking is: Does the transplant cover your scalp all the way back? In other words, how much coverage did you get from your 2500 (is that right?) grafts.

There isn't any top view photo, as far as I recall. So, it's a little hard to tell.

Again, it does look really good.

Bob

Hopefully, my "island" will not thin out much more, if any. I have been using Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) for three and a half years now, and it has virtually halted any sign of hair loss. I am thrilled with it, and now I can't wait to get back what I lost prior to starting the medication.

My appointment with Dr. Rose is exactly 2 weeks from today, Aug. 6th. I will soon join the ranks of those feverishly posting regular pictoral updates.

Vocor - you mentioned having FUE touchups. Is this something Dr. Rose is now performing? He wasn't yet when I consulted with him in March.

Thanks,

Tedd

Tedd -- I've "heard" that Dr Rose is in fact now doing FUE. I'm sure he'll give you the real deal on it. No idea what he charges yet. My guess would be $8 a graft, but I don't know.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Bob,

Thanks. The grafts were not transplanted all the way throughout the crown area, and that area was and is still not a concern of mine since it's just naturally a little thin.

To answer your question, the grafts were placed back as far as the upper crown (but there's no abrupt line that visibly marks the area between the transplanted hair and the thinness--if that makes sense), and the growth that I received from the transplant in that area covers the thinness in a natural pattern.

Mike