Dr. Alan Feller/FUE

Hello all, I've been browsing through the forums for a little while, and before that having a look around the internet for various hair-loss treatments. I've seen Dr. Feller's name come up a few times, and he seems to be the man to go to for hair restoration. I have a question though.

I'm 21, and I'd like to have an FUE procedure. The main reason for this is I've read that it creates no scarring in the donor area. I've been taking Propecia for very near 2 months (about 2 days left on my 2 month supply) and I've been using the HairMax LaserComb for about 4 months.

I'm not sure if Propecia will ever work, it doesn't seem to have stopped my hair-loss, but then again it's only been 2 months and I've read that it's best giving it up to a year before you can really say weather it will work or not.

I'm from Belfast, N. Ireland. I'm not sure how exactly Dr. Feller deals with international clients, if at all.

My question anyway is, if I was to get an FUE procedure, would I be able to shave my head and have no scarring? I like the idea of re-creating my natural hair-line even simply for short-stubble so I could wear my hair short/very short while still have that outline.

Is that possible at all? And has anyone ever went to Dr. Feller for this procedure? Like I say, I've heard great things, he looks very young to be an expert lol, I know that sounds ridiculous perhaps, but there ya go.

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif.

DMG,

Welcome to our community.

Given your age, you might want to read this thread: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

The most important thing for you to do at this point is give finasteride at least 1 year before you give up on it. The first 3 months, you may experience shedding...this is an indication of the medication working. The problem is you can't actually tell whether or not you are losing hair or just experiencing normal shedding. The "shed" hair will grow back. Give the medication a year.

Dr. Feller does some great work with FUE, but FUE MIGHT not be the best route for you...you will have to make that determination yourself.

Here are two more links regarding Strip vs FUE:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...601075613#3601075613

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...791065613#1791065613

FUE DOES leave scarring...make no mistake about it. That's one of the common misconceptions about FUE. One of the links above discusses scarring for strip and FUE in some detail.

Regarding laser technology...there is a lot of debate right now as to whether or not it works. I recommend looking at these two links:

What FDA Approval really means for medical devices posted by JoTronic

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=154259 for detailed information regarding how FDA approval works for medical devices as opposed to medicine. It is indeed shocking, in my opinion, when you put this in perspective.

Dr. Bauman is an advocate of laser technology, but very few others are.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=146999

I hope this helps get you started.

Bill

DMG, you're most likely too young to get a HT yet. Think about what happens in 10 years when more hair falls out and you have the great, high school hairline with a huge bald spot behind it.

The best course of action for someone your age, as a rule of thumb, is really to get on finasteride to arrest the hairloss and wait a few years to see how your MPB progresses. Once you have a better idea you can start developing a plan for hair restoration with your physician.

DMG, let me add my sincere appreciation and welcome you to this community. I won't belabor the point and just have you take a peak at my super duper HT results. I know Bill is going to make a comment if I do. Although his snipes have toned down somewhat. What's up Bill? Just hanging out here helping, helping, good for you. You are a credit to humanity. All this work for no pay. How do You pay your bills man?

DMG ,since you already like you hair really short and I bet it looks great on you as it does on me then what the hell are you doing here asking about FUEs vs. Strip and all this crap? Stay the hell away from any and I mean any type of HT. And let me tell you one more thing, all of us guys who think women prefer men with hair I have news for you. I had more women show interest in me with a shaved head than before or after I had transplants. It's the confidence that you project when you feel good about yourself that attracts women, hair or no hair. This media driven society is destroying the lives of countless men by portraying men with hair as somehow better looking or deserving that those without. Accept yourself the way God has meant you to be and be happy with the way you are. Best of luck to you DMG.

Photo_1.jpg.38094f2e9326eb1f702ac66e3d64c494.jpg

As a disclaimer, scarred4life is a bitter poster who's had a bad transplant and has since made it his mission to discourage everyone he can from having a HT at all. Nevermind the fact that the majority of people who did have a HT love it and swear by it (I've had one just over 3 months ago and am thrilled thus far). These past 2 weeks or so I've seen him post on a lot of threads lately with a consistent message of "I had a bad experience and you will TOO, run!".

Take him with a grain of salt until he gets over his angst. As you know if you saw "Analyze that", grieving is a process. In the meantime, listen to the advice of everyone else which is, for the most part, objective icon_smile.gif

Scarred - I don't mean to belittle your experience and if I did, I apologize. But you have to admit that (1) in the hands of a reputable doctor, people who have done their research beforehand are overwhelmingly happy and (2) your posts are definitely tinged with bitterness. Perhaps taking a step back would be a good idea?

Scarred,

I admit...your posts are adding humor to my life as of late. So thank you for that icon_smile.gif

You are entitled to your opinion of course. But I think the generic "stay away from HT at all costs" is as bad as saying "HT is the best thing in the world for everyone". Standard answers don't fly by my watch.

You see...I actually have a full time job...but my clones are on here all the time posting...that's how I pay my bills and still have time to help my balding (or previously bald) brethren icon_wink.gif

Bill

"FUE DOES leave scarring...make no mistake about it. That's one of the common misconceptions about FUE."

-This is true, however these scars are generally not visible even at very short length as opposed to a strip scar which is ALWAYS visible at a very short length.

FUE scars are many but small.

Strip scars are generally just one and very big.

A strip scar can also stretch which FUE scars cannot.

As a result DMG's initial observation about the lack of scar with an FUE procedure not entirely wrong but it should have about a "visible scar".

It is clear that you do not like FUE Bill which is fair enough.

I personally dont thhink there are any HT sollutions, strip or FUE, that are good enough for me to take the plunge.

I definately dont want a strip and FUE is way to expensive.

I'll wait until FUE has been improved or something else comes up.

DMG,

You are most likely too young to dive into this. Keep educating ourself and stay on the finasteride for a another few years to see if your hairloss stabilizes. If it does and you have good donor hair, you may be a good candidate.

As Scarred4Life has shown, HT has risks so you must choose carefully what plan of course you take even if that means do not do anything. That may be your best option, you are young and in 5-10 years their may be some breakthru's in treatments.

I have nothing against Scarred4Life advising against HT's, that is a certainly one of the options, but attacking other posters who have had successful surgeries serves no purpose.

Good luck DMG,

NoBuzz

It is clear that you do not like FUE Bill which is fair enough.

El Guapo,

This is not true. I hope what I have written has not given you the indication that I do not like it. I think it's a viable option for some people...I just don't think it's the best option for everyone. Cheers.

Bill

"'ve been taking Propecia for very near 2 months (about 2 days left on my 2 month supply) and I've been using the HairMax LaserComb for about 4 months."

I can assure you that there is no way in hell that the so called LaserComb works at all.

Its just a cheap fraud.

Propecia on the other hand does work.

I was one of the first people ever to use it, back in 1997 during the trials. The effect wears off after a number of years though.

It can have a significant cosmetic result and it is likely to at least enable you to retain what you have.

DMG-

You're pretty young to consider having an HT as you've heard from others. I'd recommend you give the Finasteride some time to work for you and see what happens. As was mentioned, if you try and restore your hairline at your age, you may be trying to keep up by having successive HT's for years to come and possibly running out of donor hair.

No HT is scarless.............even FUE will leave you with little white dot scars. Yes, you can probably clip a little closer with FUE than with STRIP (not much but in either case you will have scarring.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

It seems that I have seen some strip transplants lately that are scarless--or nearly so. For example:

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.