Another FIT/FUE rationalization -- LONG POST

vocor1

I was responding to another post where someone just had an HT and posted his graft distribution. I came to the conclusion, on some level, that graft distribution (meaning, the ratio of 1 to 2 to 3 hair FUs) may help people decide whether FIT/FUE is right for them, and what to expect. Again, these are just some ideas of mine. There is no scientific study to back this up. Just some 1+1=2 sort of stuff.

For me, I estimated my density was about 77 FU/cm^2 based on some simple math from my first procedure where I took the length times width of my harvested region. The assumption was that the area was a rectangle, but it is not. The area is actually less than that of a rectangle, because nearing the ends, the shape tapers off to one point. So it is more like a rectangle with a triangle on each side of it.

Based on some further analysis, my density is closer to 90 FU/cm^2. That isn't surprising since my 77 FU/cm^2 estimate was based on calculations on a larger area than was actually harvested.

It turns out my 1/2/3-hair distrbution was about 1:2:1, give or take. I have a lot of 3-hair FUs in my donor area. My donor areas are thick and that's why "bozo hair" was a problem with me as my top thinned out.

So, a person for argument's sake has like 80 FU/cm^2 and a distribution of 2:2:1 (I think that is actually a pretty good average density). So that person's donor area comes out to:

32x1 + 32x2 + 16x3 = 144 hairs/cm^2

and mine would be about:

23x1 + 46x2 + 23x3 = 184 hairs/cm^2

Why all this sort of thing is interesting is that it ties into whether FUE/FIT is a good choice for a person. For me, with fewer 1-hair FUs which are needed for the frontal hairline and many 3-hair FUs, FUE/FIT can "cherry pick" the 1-hair FUs out of my donor area. And the 3-hair FUs stay there and keep the donor area appearing dense and full.

In my example, even if you take all the 1-hair out, I have above-average density. Heck, take half the 2-hairs out with those 1-hairs, and my density is still 115 hairs/cm^2, which is 80% of normal density.

And I believe that even 60% of your natural full density can still give the appearance of natural density. And 115/184 is above 60%. At that point, I'd say that that area is done being harvested, and any more harvested would affect the appearance of natural density in the donor region.

QUICK SUMMARY: Knowing your FU-type distribution and density should help in your decision-making process of choosing FIT/FUE or strip harvesting. Higher ratios of 3-hair to 1/2 hair grafts makes FIT/FUE more appealing considering that your need is mainly 1/2 hair FUs and you can harvest most of them while maintaining the appearance of full density in the donor region.

OTHER NOTES:

The reason I chose FIT was because of potential lingering scar issues from another strip harvest. But it is also good to "do the math" and figure out that you are a good candidate for FIT/FUE because of your hair's natural FU distribution.

I think this is something one should consider when weighing the benefits of FIT/FUE versus strip harvesting. With strip, you get your natural distribution of FUs, and hopefully, that meets your needs just fine. With FIT/FUE, you can pick what you need and possibly still avoid ANY appearance of decreased density even with much of your donor supply harvested. This assumes that most people want/need frontal third work, which usually requires a higher ratio of 1 & 2-hair FUs than found in your donor area.

Again, a lot depends on the person's donor area characteristics. And I've only taken the number of and type of FUs into account and not their relative thicknesses person to person.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

I was responding to another post where someone just had an HT and posted his graft distribution. I came to the conclusion, on some level, that graft distribution (meaning, the ratio of 1 to 2 to 3 hair FUs) may help people decide whether FIT/FUE is right for them, and what to expect. Again, these are just some ideas of mine. There is no scientific study to back this up. Just some 1+1=2 sort of stuff.

For me, I estimated my density was about 77 FU/cm^2 based on some simple math from my first procedure where I took the length times width of my harvested region. The assumption was that the area was a rectangle, but it is not. The area is actually less than that of a rectangle, because nearing the ends, the shape tapers off to one point. So it is more like a rectangle with a triangle on each side of it.

Based on some further analysis, my density is closer to 90 FU/cm^2. That isn't surprising since my 77 FU/cm^2 estimate was based on calculations on a larger area than was actually harvested.

It turns out my 1/2/3-hair distrbution was about 1:2:1, give or take. I have a lot of 3-hair FUs in my donor area. My donor areas are thick and that's why "bozo hair" was a problem with me as my top thinned out.

So, a person for argument's sake has like 80 FU/cm^2 and a distribution of 2:2:1 (I think that is actually a pretty good average density). So that person's donor area comes out to:

32x1 + 32x2 + 16x3 = 144 hairs/cm^2

and mine would be about:

23x1 + 46x2 + 23x3 = 184 hairs/cm^2

Why all this sort of thing is interesting is that it ties into whether FUE/FIT is a good choice for a person. For me, with fewer 1-hair FUs which are needed for the frontal hairline and many 3-hair FUs, FUE/FIT can "cherry pick" the 1-hair FUs out of my donor area. And the 3-hair FUs stay there and keep the donor area appearing dense and full.

In my example, even if you take all the 1-hair out, I have above-average density. Heck, take half the 2-hairs out with those 1-hairs, and my density is still 115 hairs/cm^2, which is 80% of normal density.

And I believe that even 60% of your natural full density can still give the appearance of natural density. And 115/184 is above 60%. At that point, I'd say that that area is done being harvested, and any more harvested would affect the appearance of natural density in the donor region.

QUICK SUMMARY: Knowing your FU-type distribution and density should help in your decision-making process of choosing FIT/FUE or strip harvesting. Higher ratios of 3-hair to 1/2 hair grafts makes FIT/FUE more appealing considering that your need is mainly 1/2 hair FUs and you can harvest most of them while maintaining the appearance of full density in the donor region.

OTHER NOTES:

The reason I chose FIT was because of potential lingering scar issues from another strip harvest. But it is also good to "do the math" and figure out that you are a good candidate for FIT/FUE because of your hair's natural FU distribution.

I think this is something one should consider when weighing the benefits of FIT/FUE versus strip harvesting. With strip, you get your natural distribution of FUs, and hopefully, that meets your needs just fine. With FIT/FUE, you can pick what you need and possibly still avoid ANY appearance of decreased density even with much of your donor supply harvested. This assumes that most people want/need frontal third work, which usually requires a higher ratio of 1 & 2-hair FUs than found in your donor area.

Again, a lot depends on the person's donor area characteristics. And I've only taken the number of and type of FUs into account and not their relative thicknesses person to person.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.