Dr. Ziering MHR NY

has anyone had a transplant done by Dr. Ziering in MHR. I Went for a consultation this morning and am meeting with him next week. Can anyone tell me if they have gotten a procedure done by him and if they are happy with it?Thank you

has anyone had a transplant done by Dr. Ziering in MHR. I Went for a consultation this morning and am meeting with him next week. Can anyone tell me if they have gotten a procedure done by him and if they are happy with it?Thank you

Sammy1983,

In few hours you will get a dozen e-mails telling you how you shouldn't go to MHR because they are a hairmill and whatever else most of the guys on here with a motive want to tell you.

First thing aside from where to go, is your age. If you were born in 1983 that means you are 19-20 which also means you shouldn't even be considering hair transplants yet. Take some of the Meds that provide you with the ability to slow down your hair loss.

Now if you are researching Doctors, make sure your doc has done a considerable amount of hair transplants. Also find out if he is using FU's.

If you are African American FU's aren't as important and other techniques are better, but most of the guys on this site wouldn't know that.

Just be careful, research the Doctor and don't listen to the hype. If you get a chance to meet a patient of the Doctor you choose, it would be better and preferably someone with your hair color or texture because that can make all the difference in the world.

Critic

Sammy - I have not heard anything about the doctor. MHR has many posting on this site, just do a search. (I tried to do a search on MHR and did not get any hits). Before seeing any doctor educate yourself. Are you on Propecia or Rogaine? Research that too. Don't rush into anything.

Here is one of the best posting on MHR

http://www.hair-restoration-info.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=5696015661&f=1466060861&m=3946097571&r=2926061812#2926061812

Pat - I tried to do a search on MHR and had no hits??? I was logged on.

The best doctors will transplant only one patient per day. If you are the patient, this means you are the focus of that clinic for the entire day.

According to this interview, Dr. Ziering transplants 60 to 80 patients per month. By my estimate, that means he transplants anywhere from 2 to 4 patients per day. That means he is dividing his attention and his time, between you and up to 3 other guys. Ziering needs to hustle you through the operation, so they can get someone else in the surgical chair before the seat gets cold.

http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_interviews/craig_ziering_interview.cfm

Critic is correct, if you were born in 1983 you are too young. However, I will bet dollars to donuts that MHR doesn't mind, and will take your money anyway.

Critic, if consultants are important and valuable, like you say, and if hair mills like MHR are not mostly concerned with making money, why didn't the MHR consultant already turn this guy away? Why is he now scheduled to meet with Dr. Ziering?

Sammy, MHR is like the McDonalds of hair transplants. They are not the best hamburgers in the world, only the "most sold". Will your McDonalds hamburger be edible? I guess so.

Can you do a lot better than McDonalds?

Hell yes.

Hi Arfy - everyone.

I do agree with most if not all of your comments Arfy - you are well-informed. However, it should be noted that not every doctor transplants just one patient per day. Even many of the top doctors on this forum do not practice this. It depends on many factors: the level of hair loss for each patient and methods.

Dr. Jones is involved in the procedure from start to finish. Should his patient need 3000 grafts with the strip method it would take him the entire day. But if he has two patients of 1500 grafts each - he can do each one in about 4 hours, thus an 8 hour day

If Ziering works 5 days a week and only does 60 guys that month, he is doing 3 patients per day.

If Ziering works 6 days a week and does 80 guys that month, he is doing 3 or so patients per day.

If Ziering works 5 days a week and does 80 patients a month, he is doing 4 patients per day.

I should have said that the best doctors do "one or sometimes two" patients per day. I do believe it is better to do only one per day, though.

[This message was edited by arfy on February 07, 2003 at 03:27 PM.]

Arfy,

I do agree 110%. That cosultant should not have encouraged him.

As far as splitting time between other patients.

Not refering to this Doc, But I rather have the best Doc split my time between other patients than to choose a Doc that recommended here just because he does one procedure a day.

Do you for one minute believe that if one of these Doctors you mention who do just one or two a day could make better use of his time he wouldn't do a third. What, do you think these guys are here doing charity work.

THEY ARE IN COSMETICS FOR THE MONEY. IF THEY WANTED TO DO CHARITY THEY WOULD PERFROM PROPER SURGERY. WHEN WILL YOU GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD. GET A GRIP ON REALITY.

Critic

Believe me, I know they are in it for the money.

The reason Dr. Ziering can crank out a few more patients per day, is because his clinic does not use microscopic dissection. Microscopes are a more accurate way to dissect grafts than using "loopes" (visors) but microscopes are more time-consuming, so the clinic makes more money by not using microscopes. Even though microscopes can increase graft yield by an estimated 20 to 30%, clinics like MHR are more concerned with high turnover than they are with best-quality results.

people younger than me have had transplants done. i know this is not what i want to be doing at my age of 19 but i do not know what else to do. at the consultation, the guy said i would need 1400 to fill in the front part of my head but my hair is so thin that this wouldnt cover the whole area.this is so depressing. i am sure i could shave my head and forget about it. but this is all i think about and i do not know what to do. it has affected my life in every way and i feel hopeless. it has destroyed me. if u guys think mhr is so bad, can you please tell me a doctor in the ny area that you do recommend. i am going to be in the city thursday at mhr so if any of you are around there, maybe i could meet one of you to talk to or something. just to talk to someone and have them look at me and give me an opinion would help greatly. i amjust at the point where i think surger these days is very successful and i know it is very expensive but i think it is worth it. i mean it may sound crazy but i would rather have my hair than a 10,000 car or something like that. please help. i dont know what else to do. from what it sounds, nobody likes mhr and i dont know what to do. help... is there anyone out there that is young like me that i could maybe talk to??

Sammy

My honest advice would be to forget about hair transplants.First of all your way too young to have HT.Any doctor that would perform surgery on you is very unethical.2nd of all,as depressing as it might sound,maybe you should just accept your baldness.Some guys just arent good candidates and it seems like you arent.Just think if your only 19 and you have already lost that much hair,in 5-10 years you will be even balder.There isnt enough donor to cover a full scalp.So yeah if you get a transplant now it might look decent but in the future as your hairloss progresses it will look akward.At that point you'll need more surgery but if you REALLY progress to like a norwood 7 your screwed b/c you dont have enough donor hair.And dont forget you WILL have a scar on the back of your head that will be with you for the rest of your life.So if at any point later you decide you want to shave your head that scar WILL show !

Dude do not go to MHR please ! Just the fact that they would perform surgery on a 19 yr old is gut wrenching.If you still would like to speak to a doctor about your situation go see dr. bernstein.He is honest,doesnt b.s. and will give you good advice.