Inept at using the spray?

I just received my very first cans of the spray. I ordered light brown and dark brown to play it safe. I'm not so sure I am very happy with it.

First, neither color works very well for me. And it is darned hard to mix the two I find. Does anyone else have any success with spraying a little each of two different colors to make a good match?

Also, I went with the one Pat seemed to suggest, not the Toppic. Mine has the name Aguila on it, rhymes with tequilla, they say. I guess one needs to use tequilla to rinse it out! Anyone else have an opinion on this brand?

Also, could I have used too much? Maybe if I just took it a little easier and went very lightly with the stuff I would find it to work better. And then the disparity of color would not be as noticeable either.

And what's this about having to use hair spray as well? Is there no way around this? I was hoping never to have to use that c**p again, now that I have more than just 100 hairs on top.

I really felt like washing it all out right away. Looks too detectable to me.

I do think I'll ease up on the application tomorrow, and give it more of a chance.

HELP!

Cliff Smith

I just received my very first cans of the spray. I ordered light brown and dark brown to play it safe. I'm not so sure I am very happy with it.

First, neither color works very well for me. And it is darned hard to mix the two I find. Does anyone else have any success with spraying a little each of two different colors to make a good match?

Also, I went with the one Pat seemed to suggest, not the Toppic. Mine has the name Aguila on it, rhymes with tequilla, they say. I guess one needs to use tequilla to rinse it out! Anyone else have an opinion on this brand?

Also, could I have used too much? Maybe if I just took it a little easier and went very lightly with the stuff I would find it to work better. And then the disparity of color would not be as noticeable either.

And what's this about having to use hair spray as well? Is there no way around this? I was hoping never to have to use that c**p again, now that I have more than just 100 hairs on top.

I really felt like washing it all out right away. Looks too detectable to me.

I do think I'll ease up on the application tomorrow, and give it more of a chance.

HELP!

Cliff Smith

I sprayed much less on this time and held the nozzle back away a bit. Much better results. The color is still a bit funky but I guess that's just the best one can do. I do seem able to spray the light brown first, then follow up with the medium brown, for a better match. I think the secret is to use only a little.

One mishap last night--when I sprayed the 5% Rogain on my head the color Prothik started bleeding out everywhere. Had to shower to remove it in order to go to bed!

Except for the color, it really does look good. I wish they offered more variety of color to make it easier to get a match.

Cliff Smith

Hey Jebster,

I think my hair is just about right in between Light and Medium Brown. In the summer it bleaches out to light or even blonde, but as I get older it seems to stay a bit darker too. I really need to blend the two colors to get a fair coverage without looking funny. But I'm getting better at it and I think it might be not so bad in cases of going out in the evenings on a "hot date" and such. Now if she and I shower together I better figure something out real quick!

I'm looking forward to Dr. Shapiro placing some of my next 2000 back in the crown area and maybe this will lessen the need for the spray. But in the meantime, I think I might be able to use it sometimes.

I have to resist the urge to spray some in the front, because it does such an excellent job of making hair look thicker. The one time I DID spray it in the front it looked awesome to see what an absolutely THICK amount of hair looked like right up front and center. Not since High School have I seen that! But I think it is a mistake to use it in the front. It is, after all, a bit detectable, and the front is what everyone studies. I caught a lady sneaking peeks at my hairline just last night. Of course, I like to think it is because my new 2000 from last August just look so great! And they do. But I still want a little bit more density and a slightly adjusted hairline. So, in just about exactly 3 weeks I "vacation" in Bloomington again! Can't wait.

Maybe I'll still need some Prothik occasionally, and if so, I don;t think I will mind that thought. But I do think there is no substitute for what Dr. Shapiro can give me--the REAL thing.

Do you use the sprays? Does it help? Is color a problem?

Cliff

Aquila/Prothik...I've been using it for about 3 years now, and I think it's one of the best concealers I've ever used. Ironically for me, the trick is to Not let my existing hair get too long, or it becomes too difficult to manage.

I, too, thought when I had my HT that I'd be done w/Prothik, but, guess not. The company sells a shampoo to get the Prothik out, however my guess is that it's a pretty harsh shampoo. I usually was my hair regularly, then do a second application with a smaller amount. You really have to get your fingers into the scalp to get it off, but, it's no big deal, unless you plan to go around with a few patches of Prothik (I will if it's just around the house, other wise I wear a hat).

Before I potentially buy some of this, how do you use it.

Do you spray it in and then style your hair or do you style your hair and then spray it in??

Also, anybody out there have any opinion on this stuff causing additional hair loss if used alot??

Does is affect the growth of NEW FUT's???

Thanx...just had 2800 FUT's, read some literature on Topic and noticed it mentioned the ability to cover redness and scabs.

Best way is online. Pat told the name of the site somewhere earlier in this thread or in a thread within this topic (no pun intended).

The two to choose among are Toppic and Prothik. I chose Prothik because that was what Pat uses, I think.

You could probably just do a search on Yahoo for Prothik. It will probably take you where you need to go.

Cliff

Order toppik at www.toppik.com, thats what I use. As far as applying toppik, it comes in a bottle with small holes on top. You then just shake it over the thinning areas. I'm pretty thin all over so I shake it over my whole head basically, then sort of pat it in to make sure it is evenly distributed, then I apply hair spray and style it the way I want to. I should mention that my hair is short so theres not much styling to do. Also, I don't think hair spray is a must but it does help. You can really get amazing results with this stuff even towards the hairline as long as you have some coverage. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brent

midnite,

I wash my hair, let it dry and then apply prothik. What I find works really well is after the stuff dries, take a little gel or any "wet look" styling product and apply gently to the hair. You can work it in with your fingers to style. A tiny bit of the prothik comes off on your fingers, but after you fiddle with it a few times, your hair wont have that dry, almost "hay" look, but rather look like thick hair gelled down. For me it makes all the difference in the world. I have also been told not to use prothik at least a couple of weeks after surgery, or even longer if you want to be sure. At least until the scabs fall off and are completely healed.

• 1 month later...

hi, i am a 21 year old male with a receding hairline and thinning at the top of my head. after doing research i chose couvre. it is a masking lotion. i was extremely amazed with the results i got from it. it only takes me a minute to apply and instantly my thinning hair is not noticable. i am also able to use rogaine and style my hair as usual. this product can be applied to wet or dry hair and the only way it comes out is when you shampoo. i am on my second tube of it, each tube lasts about 3-4 months. the main reason i chose it is because unlike some of the other products, this one has been around for 30 years. it is not that expensive either. i think i paid about $15 for a tube on www.folica.com they also sell it on www.regrow.com once again, if you are in a similar situation like me- thinning head of hair, this would be perfect. it is confidence in a tube. good luck, and i hope this helps, rp...

Thanks for the tip on the website. They have really good prices on Toppik--cheaper than the Toppik website. Anyway, I saw a product advertised called Dermamatch. Has anyone used this product? What does it do? Can you really swim with it? Is it better than Toppik and Couvre?

Guest brent

I have tried dermmatch and Prothik and still think prothik is superior. I find Dermmatch covers the scalp pretty good, and keeps the hair softer. Prothik thickens the hair alot more to give more body and fullness, and is easier to apply and style because it sprays on dry hair. Dermmatch goes on damp, so you have to wait for it to dry before styling. I have never tried Toppik, and dont really know if some products work better on certain types of hair, but my hair is coarse and wavy, and I find Prothik to be simply amazing. I have not been swimming with it on but I sweat alot playing sports and it stays on very well.