Stoppage of Minoxidil <transition> Propecia results? Why? Any explanation?

Stevo32

I've read in this forum a couple of times that the problem with stopping Minoxidil and then using propecia will cause all the hair that Minoxidil help regrow, to fall off again. icon_frown.gif

Just scientifically speaking, if Minoxidil is regrowing hair by blocking the DHT in the scalp, and propecia overall in the body, then after say, a 3 month transition stage, wouldn't the end result of DHT being blocked remain the same ? icon_confused.gif

I'm really interested in hearing from you guys on this one. Robert had said in one of his posts that he'd gotten good results and then stopped using Minoxidil and in 5 months, it was back to square one. Do you think if you/he had had a transition phase from Minoxidil to propecia, that wouldn't have happened.

The idea is to use propecia and Minoxidil in the beginning to get the best effect and ??if' it works out, to stop using Minoxidil (owing to the application regime, greasiness etc) and switch to using propecia only.

What do you guys think & how would you explain the hairloss as the scientific effect of using the 2 products is the same ???

Stevo,

Unfortunately Minoxidil and Propecia work differently, Propecia will not help you hang on to the hair that Minox helped regrow or maintain.

Minox is not a DHT blocker it helps hair regrow by increasing the blood flow to the follicle. Although truthfully they are just beginning to understand why Minox helps regrow hair.

The answer is a clear no, Propecia will not help you keep the hair that Minox helped grow or maintain. I wouldnt recommend that you start Minoxidil unless you plan on staying on it indefinately (or as long you want to have hair).

From my own experience I started with Minox for 1 year with no effect, I later switched to Propecia for 2 years and my hairloss continued it was only until I started using both did i notice my hairloss slow/halt and I might actually have gotten some regrowth for the first time. So my belief there is a synergetic effect of using both at the same time. But yeah I don't plan on stopping the messy Minox application until I no longer care about my hairloss (can't see that happening) or hair multiplication becomes a commercial reality.

Hope that helps

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Now that clears up a whole lot of things icon_smile.gif

Thanks a lot guys for the info.

So would you recommend that i start out with propecia or Propecia & Miniox? BTW, My HL pattern is typical for a 26 year old. Not heavy, but slow and steady (especially the temples).

Thanks Again.

If your hairloss is typical for a 26 yo than it doesn't sound that bad, I would only recommend you just start on Propecia as Minoxidil is very messy to apply twice daily and is a life sentence. Although having said that my hairloss started around 22-23 with a mild recession and later developed into NW3 with a noticeable thinning in the crown by 26, at which point I decided I was going to have a HT. Unfortunately at such a young age they did not want to consider putting any grafts into my crown, so I decided I needed to start using the most effective meds available if I wanted to see any regrowth in my crown again especially at such a young age. Which is why I have now switched to Avodart, Minoxidil and Nizoral 2%.

Stevo32,

Ditto Jake's post.............start with Propecia. Minox is a messy regimen to commit to. If Propecia along doesn't work you can consider it. These are lifelong commitments.........if you quit taking propecia or using Minox you'll lose what you've kept so be sure you can commit to doing it. Propecia is simple......taking a pill, Minox is a more cumbersome regimen with two messy applications a day and greasy hair to go with it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

The main problem for me is that propecia is not at all available where i live (outside the US). The only available medication is Regaine 5%.

I was considering asking for avodart as i havent enquired about it yet, but anything with propecia is apparently banned due to the side-effects that they have been known to cause. (Even though they're FDA approved)

And like you guys suggested, I'm not a fan of Minox application either. I want to consider anything else that might be used.

Well other than that there are some clinical studies that laser therapy (i.e. laser comb) is effective at retaining hair and stimulating a small amount of growth in some patients. Although it wouldn't be as effective as Minox/Propecia. There is Nizoral which is about the only shampoo that can reduce DHT it is also excellent for curing dandruff if that is a problem for you. Other than that people who can't or do not want to get on Propecia can sometimes benefit from Revivogen though your mileage may very on that herbal solution.

I disagree....I use spectral dnc 2x daily, takes me about 4 minutes total, goes on clean, smells good, and doesnt effect my hair cosmetically.....2% nizoral is always an option...

you can also try Borage oil, Krill oil, etc as an internal alternative to finasteride.

And I dont have to risk the sides of Propecia that everyone here seems so willing to do. And also, Fin doesnt work for a lot of people and for some, the sides are permanent.

I like to think of it this way....break a leg....bad pain....get morphine...pain goes away....100% of the time.....finasteride doesnt work like that, not by a long shot.

so now, ill hear "sides only happen to 2% of people", and "if u wannna keep your hair, you have to use propecia"....I think its utter BS.

Granted, for some it works great.

Here is the kind of testing id like to see, instead of the lousy merck studies....

Get your test and placebo group and test them before the trial...saliva and blood....estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, DHEAS, Cortisol-morn,noon,evening,night....and monitor them throughout, cross referencing all the data (gains, hair counts ,minaturazation, side effects, lack of sides, mental/physical etc) to find out a possible way to prescreen patients, whether or not the drug will be effective, hormonal effects etc....

everyone seems to forget that the effect on hair from this drug is a side effect that some experienced when treating prostate ailments....

and to quote a friend of mine, "for the 2% (lol) that get the sides, its 100% to them"

spectral dnc sounds good from what i gathered from their website. But i dont think that that's commercially available here either. I'll have to still to regaine until spectral dnc comes out, which looking at the product and what it offers, will be soon.

The main point/concern for propecia was not the side effects (for me at least), but rather the synergy that minox/propecia seem to create for hair loss stabalization and or regrowth.

Just minox wont or might not be the same and thats really the clarification that i'm looking for. Or am i setting too high a target and should just go for a minox solution ?