Experts please clarify

I have been on (Proscar).25/day for about 8 months now and have some concerns.

My wife and I are going to start a family soon and both are worried that this drug will give us babies with birth defects.

Should I be taking this drug while starting a family?

I have been on (Proscar).25/day for about 8 months now and have some concerns.

My wife and I are going to start a family soon and both are worried that this drug will give us babies with birth defects.

Should I be taking this drug while starting a family?

Dont let your wife come in contact with proscar, it can be damaging to the the fetus that needs dht to grow. Some might say swap to propecia so you don't have cut pills lying around, that seems extreme, just keep the pills away from the misses, tell her where they are so she doesn't accidently eat them. Even if she did touch an exposed pill, even if a little bit does seep thru her skin, it probably wont do much damage but why take a risk, keep them in jar with the lid so tight that only a man could open it(jk).

none

none

Finesteride is also excreted in semen(British National Formulary March 2002). If you are planning a family then I am afraid you have to come off Proscar/Propecia. Try for the baby only after coming off Finesteride for more than 2-3 weeks. Once your wife is pegnant then you can go back on Propecia but use condoms religiously and don't let your wife come in contact with the tablets.

As if hairloss wasn't bad enough - life goes downhill from that point on (jk).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

• 2 weeks later...

As was posted Proscar/Propecia tablets should not be handled by women of child bearing age as birth defects are theoretically possible if the drug is absorbed at particular times in fetal development.

Studies on semen show that the amount of drug that would be absorbed is inconsequential.In fact quarts of semen would have to be used to show substantial amounts of the drug.

That said, the safest thing to do is stop the drug. If anything were to go wrong with the birht of your child you might still wonder if the drug caused the problem

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians