Ingrown Hairs

uncjim

I'd like to clear up what those little white heads actually are.

It was explained to me during my last surgery that these are not ingrown hairs but clogged sebaceus glands.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>sebaceus gland- small subcutaneous glands, usually connected with hair follicles. They secrete an oily semifluid matter called sebum, composed in great part of fat, which softens and lubricates the hair and skin.

I'll stand corrected if I'm incorrect here, but I believe the reason for the clogging is that the newly maturing follicles are producing sebum, but only a tiny portion of the hair is there to be lubricated.

Therefore, we get the clogging.

So I think we can be happy when we get one of these little buggers as indeed it's showing that the follicle is settling in and the hair will soon follow.

BTW, I just got my first this morning..YIPEE!!

UNC

"TEMPLES 'n CROWNS Forever!"

Uncjim's Journey

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

I'd like to clear up what those little white heads actually are.

It was explained to me during my last surgery that these are not ingrown hairs but clogged sebaceus glands.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>sebaceus gland- small subcutaneous glands, usually connected with hair follicles. They secrete an oily semifluid matter called sebum, composed in great part of fat, which softens and lubricates the hair and skin.

I'll stand corrected if I'm incorrect here, but I believe the reason for the clogging is that the newly maturing follicles are producing sebum, but only a tiny portion of the hair is there to be lubricated.

Therefore, we get the clogging.

So I think we can be happy when we get one of these little buggers as indeed it's showing that the follicle is settling in and the hair will soon follow.

BTW, I just got my first this morning..YIPEE!!

UNC

Uncjim's Journey

Yep, I think you're correct. It's more like a pimple than an ingrown hair, and once I popped the little suckers(which took hardly any pressure at all) I put neosporin(sp) on them and they cleared up in no time. Hope things are going well with you!

I'm doing well thanks..hope you are also.

Yes, popping them and then using an anti-biotic is the way to go. I was advised early on that leaving them alone could potentially cause the pimples to fester.

UNC

Uncjim's Journey