FUE Procedure Questions

Since I may be doing a "micro session" in 6 months time to fill in my hairline, I've been thinking that FUE would be the better way to go, so as not to waste scalp laxity/area with a strip procedure for maybe 800 units or so...

Would Dr. Feller be a good option for this? What doctors in the north east could do this well? Geography is a limiting variable for me, as money is an issue (since I'm 21 and in college, etc).

Thanks for the comments, in advance! icon_wink.gif

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Also....

1) How is recovery compared to FUT?

2) Does it hurt? Is it comparable or much less of an ordeal than FUT?

3) What would it cost to get about 1,000 follicular units with an FUE procedure?

Thanks

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I'm not sure how much you are planning to "fill in" your hair line with a "micro session" but offhand I will agree that a graft count of 800 is not worth going in for a FUT, unless it is a special circumstance (i.e. scar revision, repair case, etc.)

I'm afraid that you are chasing surgery with surgery. Not good, amigo. Give the current procedure a full 12 months or so to mature before making a decision. Difficult, I know. You can research, and that's good, but try not to get ahead of yourself.

All that being said, I think Dr. Feller still offers his "lunchtime FUE" and he has drawn no small amount of praise in the past.

Dr. True and Dr. Dorin offer FUE and FUT. You may want to look at them as well. I've seen them perform surgery in person and I was highly impressed. They're located in NYC.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

dhuge,

Also since you are young you should think about managing your donor supply in the future. FUE does not yield as many grafts as FUT which was the deciding factor for me when deciding between the two.

But I dont think another HT at this time is right for you, I would be looking at possible effective treatments. It appears that some people respond well to Xandros and Revivogen over Minioxidil, as they contain other active ingredients like Azelic acid which is supposedly proven to block up to 100% of DHT where applied:

http://www.minoxidil.com/azelaic.htm

Also there is topical spironolactone which is a powerful anti-androgen which also a DHT blocker: http://www.minoxidil.com/topical.htm

Lastly there is Avodart which is proven to block around 90% of DHT (though it is not approved for hairloss yet).

Remember on whatever treatment you try out you should stay with them for 6-12 months in order to judge its efficacy.

It is always said that retaining your hair is always better than having a HT since Hair Multiplication is not available yet so we all have a finite donor supply.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I agree with Robert. I think you need to wait and not get on a surgical treadmill that has no end in sight. No matter how many more photos or daily posts you make at this point, none of us can give you the kind of assurances about your results that you're looking for. You're clearly obsessed with your hair in a very unhealthy way for someone so young, and the fact that you've lost this much hair already means you have to conserve your donor supply for what could be an even more extensive progression. Maybe psychological counselling might even be an option at this point; you've got to get your mind on something else before you drive yourself crazy....

Originally posted by L'Anonyme:

I agree with Robert. I think you need to wait and not get on a surgical treadmill that has no end in sight. No matter how many more photos or daily posts you make at this point, none of us can give you the kind of assurances about your results that you're looking for. You're clearly obsessed with your hair in a very unhealthy way for someone so young, and the fact that you've lost this much hair already means you have to conserve your donor supply for what could be an even more extensive progression. Maybe psychological counselling might even be an option at this point; you've got to get your mind on something else before you drive yourself crazy....

Ummm L'Anonyme losing hair in your early 20's is very hard especially when knowing that it is having a negative impact on your personal appearance. There is nothing wrong with trying your best (or being obsessed?) at keeping your hair unless it is going against your long term interests. I don't think its an indication on whether someone needs counselling.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I agree with Jakevig here. I started losing my hair in my early 20's and it was devastating! Tried rogaine for awhile and shaved my head and held out until I was 27 for a HT. Was glad I held out that long to see how my hair would most likely end up. My hair has been steady since then due to propecia and have attacked my problem with my HT's since. At the same time I think Dhuge should wait a bit just in the persective you don't want to go thru your donor supply at such an early age without seeing how your hair will end up. But the counseling thing is a little extreme as of yet. He's going thru what I and a lot of others on here have and it is plain hard and you do want to just turn it around and have your hair back.

First of all, posts here may make me look obsessed or overly concerned about my hair. However, this is a forum dedicated to such a thing, so I pour out my "hair-feelings" here and really never think about it or talk to anyone about it except for my own parents.

I'm a college student, I work for a large computer company as a campus rep, and I'm training to become a Marine Corps Officer...so back off (L'Anonyme) about the "unhealthy obsession" thing, please.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do and asking the people who might know.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

dhuge, I understand what you are saying and goin through. I still think the best thing for u to do is stay on the meds and have a good routine with nizoral and wait a year to see where you are. I just would hate to see you rush into another procedure, even a small one until you see how the propecia is working. By reading other stories and seeing the results I wish I could go back and just have one or 2 megasessions instead of 4 HT's. I think the FUE procedure should be done when you have stopped losing hair or in people's cases like myself have had the HT's and have all HT hair on top. Then FUE could be good to fill in those small areas up front. And when looking at your hair it is thinning, not bald. To get another HT on the rest of your hair could cause some good shockloss. And I didn't have as much hair as you in my midscalp before my last HT and I still had some extensive shockloss. Give the meds a good year or more. Just my two cents from my own experience

I shaved down tonight...this will show you what I am thinking about FUEing.

Then

preht_1.jpg

Now

Photo29.jpg

This image also makes me think...Propecia may be working.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

For a small session in the temple/widow peak area, I think FUE would be a wise choice. Don't go strip unless you need a higher graft count.

wait a full year then decide.

1045 FUT "hairline" with Dr Feller on Nov 05

825 "hairline" with Dr Loria "saw so so results" on Jan 01

MHR 325 "hairline" micro/mini 's 1999 "big mistake"

I don't think you need any more on the hairline or temples. Hard to tell cause the pic is in b&w but once your ht matures it will probably look pretty good. If you do decide to get more work done you need to concentrate on your entire thinning area from hairline all the way back to the crown. This is what I had done with my ht so when I lose the rest I won't have an obvious unnatural pattern. I agree with beefy you really need to wait a year at least. Don't rush back!

Originally posted by slick:

I don't think you need any more on the hairline or temples. Hard to tell cause the pic is in b&w but once your ht matures it will probably look pretty good. If you do decide to get more work done you need to concentrate on your entire thinning area from hairline all the way back to the crown. This is what I had done with my ht so when I lose the rest I won't have an obvious unnatural pattern. I agree with beefy you really need to wait a year at least. Don't rush back!

Sounds like a plan. I'm not rushing back. I'll definitely wait a year at least. My next procedure is either going to be FUE in the hairline or another strip for larger surface area coverage (I'm thinking from the halfway point on my head - a bit in front of the midscalp - and forward to the hairline). Then, I'd have maybe one strip left in me and if I go that route, I'd probably be conceding my crown if/when it would thin/fall out.

I think my options are becoming more clear.

1) Have pretty good hair now until maybe my 30's and then have a bald crown from there on out in hopes that maybe someday there are better advances in restoration.

2) A more wait and see approach with FUE now in the hairline to conserve strips for further down the road.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog