Is Propecia the best product to fight hairloss?

I have been using Propecia for the last 2 years. I think it may of slowed down my hair loss but it hasn't completely stopped it.

Is Propecia the best product out there or is there something better??

I also have been using the HairMaxx Laser comb for 3 years. I can say it looks thicker only after I use it but I don't think it's really stopping my hair loss.

I have been using Propecia for the last 2 years. I think it may of slowed down my hair loss but it hasn't completely stopped it.

Is Propecia the best product out there or is there something better??

I also have been using the HairMaxx Laser comb for 3 years. I can say it looks thicker only after I use it but I don't think it's really stopping my hair loss.

I agree with incubus99 on the Laser Comb, from what I hear it won't help.

Propecia (Finasteride) is the best "proven" product to stop hair loss and, for a few fortunate individuals, can regrow a little hair. It blocks 70% of the type-II DHT attacking the hair. Results person by person have varied. Some who post here have halted their loss with it. I would guess it is helping you somewhat.

You can search the site for information on Avodart (Duasteride). It is a blocker of both type-II and type-I DHT that attacks the hair and is shown to block 90%, but, the jury is still out on long term effects. I recently started taking Finasteride after much research on both.

Are you using any scalp and/or haircare products. I started a Nizoral/Nioxin regimen that has made my scalp and hair feel better. Both are used to give optimal condition for hair growth.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Glenn- Propecia (Finasteride) is a prescription drug so you need a script for it. You can find non-US or Canada sources to order online but I'd highly advise against it. If you want to try it........use the 5mg pill, Proscar (same as Propecia) you just cut it into 4ths with a pill cutter. It's much more cost effective than Propecia (1mg pill). My HT Doc advised taking 1.25mg every other day since Finasteride actively attacks DHT for 72 hrs.

LT- Nizoral 1% you can buy at Walmart or most any similar type store.........its OTC. You can get Nizoral 2% with a script but from what I read it doesn't make much, if any, difference so I went with 1%. Nioxin is OTC and can be purchased online or at many hair salons.

I alternate Nizoral 1% and Nioxin but use the Nioxin conditioner after each. I've read Nizoral can aid in in blocking DHT and it aids in maintaining a healthly scalp. Nioxin should cleanse the scalp and help you hair healthy. I use the combo to provide optimal growth conditions.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Below is a doctor's reply for a question on proscar why it is not recommended instead of propesia.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">"No, for two reasons: without the protective coating there is the risk of transcutaneous absorption and secondly when the pill is formulated the active ingredient is not evenly distributed throughout the pill. Dividing the pill in quarters does not mean proper dosing. For example, it is possible to be getting 4mg on day 1, 0 on day2 & 3 and then 1mg on day 4."</span>

Ravi Vide

Originally posted by jagdish:

Below is a doctor's reply for a question on proscar why it is not recommended instead of propesia.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">"No, for two reasons: without the protective coating there is the risk of transcutaneous absorption and secondly when the pill is formulated the active ingredient is not evenly distributed throughout the pill. Dividing the pill in quarters does not mean proper dosing. For example, it is possible to be getting 4mg on day 1, 0 on day2 & 3 and then 1mg on day 4."</span>

Point noted............but if this was such an issue why would top Doc's like Dr. Wong and others recommend doing so? By cutting in 4th's I believe the though process is that you'll, at the least, get 1mg of active ingredient per day.

Have any studies shown people who cut Proscar versus take Propecia have less effective results?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dear LT ,

from working with patients who are experiencing hairloss I have come to the conclusion that Propecia is the best way to go (only for men) if you don't want to loose any more hair. It's an excellent DHT blocker, and some people have reported that it grew some hair in their crown area. I wouldn't necessarily hope for any regrowth, but the fact that you wouldn't loose anymore is great.

As for the laser comb: In the practice that I work we offer Low Level Laser therapy for people who qualify to be patients for laser. So far we've seen excellent results. We had a few patients who couldn't come in for their laser sessions , so we ordered laser brushes that they could purchase. A laser brush is much stronger than a laser comb, so if you are cosidering using one , I would go with the laser brush( it's about 6 times stronger than the laser comb).

Originally posted by jagdish:

Jagdish, I'm not sure what risk there is for transcutaneous absorption if you are going to swallow the pill anyway. Maybe that is refering to someone else touching it. As far as uneven distribution, that is true and well known. However, it is commonly thought that as long as you have a consistent regimen of taking it in quarters it will have the same benificial effect.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Aida, thank you for the info on the Laser Brush. I have never heard of it intel I saw your post. At the Medical Hair Institute you work for, do you see great results from the laser brush? How are you so sure that it's about 6 times stronger than the laser comb?

Does anyone else use the LASER BRUSH?

Aida-

I'm curious as to the function of a Laser Comb/Brush and must admit I'm skeptical. Has your office documented results of those who are using it?

What is it for? Does it regenerate existing MPB susceptible follicles? What's its purpose?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by LT:

Aida, thank you for the info on the Laser Brush. I have never heard of it intel I saw your post. At the Medical Hair Institute you work for, do you see great results from the laser brush? How are you so sure that it's about 6 times stronger than the laser comb?

Does anyone else use the LASER BRUSH?

The laser brush is about six times stronger than the comb because it has six diodes where the laser light comes through, where as the comb has only one diode. Maybe there are companies that make combs with more diodes, however I only heard of the one that has one. ( A diode is the source of energy output.)

The patients here who have the laser brush are our patients who are on laser therapy , but can not come in for all of their laser sessions due to busy schedules , travel etc. So for those patients we recommended that they try the laser brush if they have to miss a session. Most of our laser patients are satisfied with what the lasers are doing for them. However I have not had a patient who only purchased the laser brush and didn't come for any treatments , so I can not say that a laser brush alone without laser therapy can achieve good results.

Originally posted by hairbank:

Aida-

I'm curious as to the function of a Laser Comb/Brush and must admit I'm skeptical. Has your office documented results of those who are using it?

What is it for? Does it regenerate existing MPB susceptible follicles? What's its purpose?

Dear Hairbank,

Low Level Lasers are cosmetic hair enhancement devices that promote thicker and healthier hair. LLL Therapy does not grow any new follicles, so if someone who is completely bald wants to go on LLLT he will not get any results , because most of his follicles are dead. However, if a person has thinning hair because the follicles are sick due to DHT, the laser can help those follicles get stronger and grow nicer, thicker hair .

Aida,

Thank you for your reply. Does this have a similar effect as finasteride, which blocks DHT and will help you retain MPB-susceptible hair?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I have read in an article on the Internet, that when using Rogain, wash your hair before each use. Doesn't matter on the shampoo, what kind. Then Pat dry your hair with a towel and then use Mininoxidil or Rogain. It is suppose to help absorb the product better into the scalp.

Dear Hairbank,

laser therapy doesn't work like finasteride where it blocks DHT. It increases blood flow in the scalp, so a lot of the bad toxins like DHT get flushed away. It also delivers extra energy to the cells for better metabolism, so the hair grows quicker, stronger, more robust and also some people get more hairs per follicle. Propecia and Laser Therapy work great together.

Hi Aida,

I am a 29 year old female with some genetic thinning on the crown and behind the bangs. I went for a consult on friday and they mentioned the laser treatment as well as the brush. Are there any side effects to either? Or problems for women in child bearing years? Thank you in advance!

Hi Captain 123,

there are no known side effects to laser therapy, laser brushes or combs. It is a cool, healing laser that stimulates blood flow and delivers extra energy to the cells. It is the most agressive, non-invasive way to thicken and strengthen hair.