Dr Raymond Konior

I have scheduled my surgery date with Dr Konoir and was reading a responce to a question by B-spot on how he originally narrowed his choices to 3 top docs and dropped Konoir even though he was 45 min. away. Why did you decide against him specifically. I was quoted at 3000 grafts which will cost me $13,500. Does this figure seem too high. I am 38 years old and have wanted to do something about my hair loss for years and now since getting divorced I feel I want to look better. I am probably at nw 6 scale and wonder if anyone thinks 3000 grafts will make much of a difference. Further, is it advisable to do that many grafts in one session? Help!

I have scheduled my surgery date with Dr Konoir and was reading a responce to a question by B-spot on how he originally narrowed his choices to 3 top docs and dropped Konoir even though he was 45 min. away. Why did you decide against him specifically. I was quoted at 3000 grafts which will cost me $13,500. Does this figure seem too high. I am 38 years old and have wanted to do something about my hair loss for years and now since getting divorced I feel I want to look better. I am probably at nw 6 scale and wonder if anyone thinks 3000 grafts will make much of a difference. Further, is it advisable to do that many grafts in one session? Help!

Welcome to the Board,

You'll find a wealth of information on this forum and it's affiliated sites if you are willing to take the time to read and learn from the members and their experiences.

1- It would help if you posted several pictures of your hair, many members will give you unbiased evaluations.

2- Are you on Finasteride and if so for how long? (Propecia, Proscar)

3- Stick with the recommended Doctors or even better, the Coalition Doctors.

4- Yes, the price quoted seems higher than most, most Docs will give a discount after the first 2000 or 2500 grafts.

We are all looking forward to your pictures and further discussions.

Hey Overhair!!! Welcome!!! Yep, Dr. Konier was one of my top choices because he does some top quality work.

His pricing seems to have dropped a little, so 13,500 seems fairly reasonable for 3000 grafts.

My specific reason for not going to Dr. Konier was that I felt Dr. Wong and Dr. Shapiro were better and both were also slightly cheaper as well.

I will say that I was quoted 15,000 for 3000 grafts in Aug of 05, so it seems that he has started to reorder his pricing.

As a NW6 myself, I can tell you that 3000 grafts will give you a decent look, but that you will need AT LEAST an additional 3000 grafts in order to achieve some overall density. So plan to have another session 1 year later, and also plan accordingly (ie hit the frontal 100 cm for #1 and then hit the frontal 100cm and then 50 cm into the crown with an additional 3000 grafts for #2) It really depends on what level of coverage you want, and what look you can live with during your "growing out" phase.

At this point in time, I think anyone who is a NW5+, or a 6 should target as many possible grafts as is safe for them. For you, 3000 will change your "look" but 4500 will do much more, etc...

I have no problem recommending Dr. Konier, whom I hold in high regard. He is the ONE HT surgeon in Chicago I would allow to touch me, period. He consistantly produces great work with very thin scars and would be a great choice. I recently recommended him to a friend of mine who cannot travel.

I would see if he could do some additional grafts because you do have a virgin scalp.

Congrats on choosing a fine surgeon. Please post some pics so we can share your journey with you!!!!

In addition, if you want, PM me sometime and we can get together after your surgery so I can take a look, (if you don't mind!!!) I want to see Dr. Koniers closure technique in person that Pat raves about!!!!!!

Happy Growing!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks B-spot for your quick reply. If it's not obvious, as the time draws closer, I am getting more stressed about my choice. But, I cannot stand what I look like now and feel I have nothing to lose. I mostly wear a hat these days anymore anyway. Worse case scenerio, I keep wearing it. I will definately keep you and anyone else posted on the whole procedure and the results to come. If it wasn't for people contributing to this sight, alot of us would have to be totally bald due to lack of knowledge. If my results are favorable, I want others to know that there's hope. Likewise, if not, I would want to inform others of the drawbacks. Hopefully , I will be very happy about my decision as I have heard so many others on this sight say they were!

• Administrators

Overhair,

I'm confident that you will be in great hands with Dr. Konior and his staff. For more insight into his clinic and work visit the highlights from my visit to his clinic.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.