Propecia question

To preface this question, I'm going to explain my situation really quickly again. At 21, my hairline matured, a little more on my right side, which seems to be a normal pattern for the mature hairline (more on one side). The total recession was maybe a centimeter. I had my ht at 24 to restore my previous hairline; most of the work (of 600 grafts) was focused on my right side. Anyway, I have been on Propecia for almost two years. Now, I haven't had any hairloss since the mature hairline stopped at 21, but I realize there is a good chance that Propecia has had nothing to do with this. There is no significant hairloss in my family, but I'm trying to stay ahead of the game if in fact there is loss in store for me. I have read that Propecia's long term effectiveness is unknown: some say they've been on it for many years; others claim that it's effectiveness lessened after 5-7. Since I went on it mainly as a precautionary measure to prevent loss, I really have no way of knowing if my hair is naturally meant to stay or if finasteride is doing it's job. Let's say hypothetically I'm supposed to start thinning at 31 (I'm 25 now). So that would mean that there wouldn't be much reason for being on Propecia for those 9 years, 22-31, unless I was trying to block it way before it might start (who knows if that could work). My question is this: if in fact Propecia is effective for let's say, 9-10 years only, would being on it now, even if I technically would not responding to the drug because I'm not thinning, use up those years? Or would that timeline begin at 31, when the drug would really have something to "work with" or I guess work against (again hypothetically for this scenario). I am not planning on stopping either way, because it might be doing something, although I have a feeling there is just as good a chance that I wouldn't be losing hair now anyway. I know this is an odd situation because most people begin mpb and then go on finasteride, whereas I just had the mature hairline and possibly started it years before any potential thinning. I know that my native hair which remained in the hairline and directly around it after it had matured was never shocked out after the ht. This is either an indication that Propecia worked in strengthening that hair or that the hair was not predestined to fall out anytime soon. Or maybe both? The hairs were not miniaturized, just normal, thick hairs that are still there. I guess in my case it's all speculation.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

To preface this question, I'm going to explain my situation really quickly again. At 21, my hairline matured, a little more on my right side, which seems to be a normal pattern for the mature hairline (more on one side). The total recession was maybe a centimeter. I had my ht at 24 to restore my previous hairline; most of the work (of 600 grafts) was focused on my right side. Anyway, I have been on Propecia for almost two years. Now, I haven't had any hairloss since the mature hairline stopped at 21, but I realize there is a good chance that Propecia has had nothing to do with this. There is no significant hairloss in my family, but I'm trying to stay ahead of the game if in fact there is loss in store for me. I have read that Propecia's long term effectiveness is unknown: some say they've been on it for many years; others claim that it's effectiveness lessened after 5-7. Since I went on it mainly as a precautionary measure to prevent loss, I really have no way of knowing if my hair is naturally meant to stay or if finasteride is doing it's job. Let's say hypothetically I'm supposed to start thinning at 31 (I'm 25 now). So that would mean that there wouldn't be much reason for being on Propecia for those 9 years, 22-31, unless I was trying to block it way before it might start (who knows if that could work). My question is this: if in fact Propecia is effective for let's say, 9-10 years only, would being on it now, even if I technically would not responding to the drug because I'm not thinning, use up those years? Or would that timeline begin at 31, when the drug would really have something to "work with" or I guess work against (again hypothetically for this scenario). I am not planning on stopping either way, because it might be doing something, although I have a feeling there is just as good a chance that I wouldn't be losing hair now anyway. I know this is an odd situation because most people begin mpb and then go on finasteride, whereas I just had the mature hairline and possibly started it years before any potential thinning. I know that my native hair which remained in the hairline and directly around it after it had matured was never shocked out after the ht. This is either an indication that Propecia worked in strengthening that hair or that the hair was not predestined to fall out anytime soon. Or maybe both? The hairs were not miniaturized, just normal, thick hairs that are still there. I guess in my case it's all speculation.

-------

Chances are if you started thinning it would continue and not stop and start.. It is more of a gradial process..

Take the propecia.. The lack of effectiveness is not proven in all persons. I don't think I have experienced a decrease.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Guest HLBD

Young,

The best advice anyone can give you is to go to a doctor and find out if you do have MPB. If "there is no major history of hair loss in your family" and no miniturized hairs present, as you have said, the odds are that you aren't suffering from MPB. You might be suffering, or have suffered from some other form of hair loss - and it might get worse some day, but that is the chance you run with not knowing.

I think that if you are not suffering from MPB, propecia is a big risk for no benefit. Your paying a good deal of money upfront for something that may never happen. It's like paying for repairs to a car you don't own yet. Preventative measures are good, but we'd all be broke if we paid for everything years in advance. Plus, you are messing with some serious hormones for what couls be nothing.And yes, to answer your question, you body could begin to build a tolerence to the drug which will cause it to be less effective in the future, should you actually suffer from MPB at any time to come.

The best advice anyone could give you: if you are under stress - including the stress to have more hair - that can only add to the problem. Stress is linked to just about all illnesses, including hair loss in general and MPB. Stress can do very bad things to your body. Chill-out, relax and enjoy your youth, your life, your "success", and what seems to be a thick full head of hair. Should your hair start to thin in the future, then worry about Propecia and HTs.

HLBD,

Thanks for the advice; I have considered what you have said. The thing is, before I started Propecia, I made sure that the hairloss was not being caused by some kind of illness. My hairline had simply "matured", which is a normal process not related to MPB and happens to most guys between the late teens to late 20s (Your hairline naturally changes over time). The motivation behind my ht is probably seen by some people as simple vanity. DHT however may still cause the mature hairline, and so I went on Propecia to attempt to block more potential DHT from affecting other areas of the hair, so I admit that it is taken soley as a precautionary measure. You just hear more guys say, "I wish I had gotten on it sooner". Waiting until hairloss is significant enough to really notice, then starting finasteride, then giving it 6 months to take effect can lose someone a lot of hair. My goal was to prevent that from happening.

Mrjb,

Thanks again for the support; I am still encouraged that you continue to have success with Propecia after 7 years.

-------

Word to the wise -- My own case has definitely taught me not put too much faith in genetics.

If MPB can happen to me, then it really can happen to just about anyone at any time. Both my grandfathers lived until their early 80s with full heads of hair. My father's still got no MPB hair loss at age 62. My father's brother is in his 50s and he's still a NW#1. I can even point to exactly which specific relative's hair color & thickness & curl I inherited, and he never had any MPB either. I had to look at my mother's cousins & second-cousins before I finally found a single blood relative with any signs of MPB.

I had GREAT hair in my teens and even early 20s. I still occasionally got complimented on my hair by total strangers as late as 24-25 years old.

. . . But now I'm a NW3 at 28 years old, and I'm probably headed for an eventual NW4a or 5a. You just never know.

-----------------------------------------------

Hi

MD is right, my dad has a full head of hair and his brother is a norwood 6 since his 20's ( saw pics).. Genetics are not a guarantee by any means.. Also, be careful about lookingfor "other" factors causing your hairloss as I did when it started.. I thought is was:

My shampoo

Fumes in the cologne

my vitamins

And anything else I could think of.. Of course I was wrong it was Male pattern baldness icon_frown.gif

NOW, I am now saying it cannot be another cause but I do know how the mind plays tricks on us as it did to me.. Can't hurt to see a dermatologist

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

You're in a bit of a quandry, eh YS?

I'm not sure really how to advise you. You can't go backward in time so whether you should have started on Propecia or not, you have, so move on from there.

I agree with others on genetics. So many times I have heard those refering to wife's father, Dad's brother.......I really believe this is an exercise in futility. No way to predict. You need to just do as you've been doing which is focus on your own hair and see what determination you can make. Loss history in relatives makes no difference.

If I were in your shoes I'd do some consulting with a derm or possibly even HT Doc who looks at tons of follicles miniturizing due to MPB. Get a professional opinion on what may happen if you stop taking Propecia.

As for reduced effectiveness of Finasteride, I have heard some people mention this but have never seen any proof that this happens.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for the input guys. Hairbank nailed it because I can't go back in time, and since I've had the ht, stopping Propecia is extra risky. I don't mind taking Propecia, so I'm just going to continue to take it, and hopefully this will prevent any serious thinning if in fact I was predestined for loss, at least for the next 10 years into my thirties, which at that point there may possibly be an even more effective drug. I initially saw a derm who prescribed the Propecia after observing the mature hairline and listening to my concerns about potential loss in other areas. My ht surgeon now prescribes the Propecia. I know that the long term effects of taking it are unknown, I think it was FDA approved in like 97, but how long have men been taking to treat the prostrate? Perhaps this may provide some evidence about effects after a longer period of time.

-------

youngsuccess,

I vaguely remember discussing something like this on another thread...however...

In all honesty, from what I've read, there seems to be a few theories:

1. There is some controversy as to whether or not finasteride REALLY stops hair loss or just slows it down. It is possible that those who will end up a NW7 MAY end up there anyway, even with finasteride....it would just take longer.

2. The OTHER theory suggests that finasteride loses MAY slow down or STOP hair loss for awhile, but eventually loses efficacy over time.

Currently there is no hard core evidence of either being true or false.

All you can REALLY do is take it now as directed and hope for the best, assuming you are willing to take with it the risks of side effects.

Bill