Is the HT really painful??

I am going for a consultation next week but am dying to know if it is really painful? I have read that it can take up to 8 hours and that they will show a movie or something? I would love to just be KNOCKED OUT! Or really loopy!

It just cannot be pleasant to have hair pulled from the back of your head and then SHOVED down into your scalp with a needle type instrument! Please give me some feedback on the PAIN! icon_smile.gif

Captain (a girl) icon_smile.gif

I am going for a consultation next week but am dying to know if it is really painful? I have read that it can take up to 8 hours and that they will show a movie or something? I would love to just be KNOCKED OUT! Or really loopy!

It just cannot be pleasant to have hair pulled from the back of your head and then SHOVED down into your scalp with a needle type instrument! Please give me some feedback on the PAIN! icon_smile.gif

Captain (a girl) icon_smile.gif

No, just the slight pain of the anaesthetic injections - after that you don't feel a thing. The donor area is painful for a day or two (with strip) after the HT but painkillers take care of that. Then if you have strip surgery, the sutures/staples cause some discomfort until they are removed but not really any pain. I've experienced much more pain at the dentist than the HT clinic icon_biggrin.gif...

PB

I agree w/ pb..............

I would equate any pain during the procedure with maybe a "pin prick" here or there. This is only at the beginning when they numb the donor area and then the recipient site. It's really nothing............especially when I think about having hair on top of my head again. icon_wink.gif

Healing for me was a breeze. Never any soreness in the recipient area.........a little in the donor area for a few days, that's it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for the feedback you guys! I know this may vary, but about how long does it all take?

Also, is it the general consensus among those that suffer from hairloss that you should try everything out there before going straight to HT? I haven't tried anything except nioxin and i never do that regularly.

THe time it takes to perform the procedure depends on how large it is/how many grafts are being transplanted. Definitely plan on the whole day even if it is small because you are probably not going to want to be going to any social functions directly after the procedure icon_smile.gif.

I am a lightweight when it comes to anaesthesia so my reaction to it may be similar to what you can expect. I go to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep. icon_biggrin.gif Read about my latest procedure in the link at the bottom of my signature line. As soon as I take the valium before the procedure, I am almost unconscious (or so it seems). I wake up a few times during the procedure and watch the movie, but I never get all the way through one. As a matter of fact, during BOTH of my procedures, when they would ask what movie I would like next (after I slept through pretty much all of the first one) I would just say I don't want another one since I will just sleep through it. That's when they just put on some light music and off...I go...to...sleep...again....

Definitely bring the issue up with your doc in the consultation if you are worried about it though. As a matter of fact, you do have a written list of things to ask/discuss with Dr. Epstein during your consultation, right? icon_smile.gif

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Captain, don't jump into a transplant. Make sure you understand what is causing your hairloss first. Then look at your options.

I'm hoping you are going to a reputable doctor for your consultation and not just a slick salesman. Beware, the hair transplant waters are filled with many sharks. You could end up like Mahair. Seriously.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

It's really only painful in the wallet. The procedure isn't all that bad, just the injections and some post-op healing numbness. If you do go get procedure, try not to get that much sleep the night before that way you'll be tired and sleep easier during the procedure if you want to be "KNOCK OUT".

Originally posted by Gorpy:

Captain, don't jump into a transplant. Make sure you understand what is causing your hairloss first. Then look at your options.

I'm hoping you are going to a reputable doctor for your consultation and not just a slick salesman. Beware, the hair transplant waters are filled with many sharks. You could end up like Mahair. Seriously.

I have been talking to Captain about this very same thing in this thread and this thread. She is new here so she didn't know to keep her questions in the same thread to keep them from getting spread out.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I am going to Dr. Edwin Epstein in Richmond, VA for my consultation. I may also go to Robert's doctor in Charlotte since I am there for business pretty regularly. I just have no idea what a doc would think of my level of hair loss so I am really interested in what they have to say.

I am actually supposed to get some lab results back today that checked my hormone levels, etc. I don't expect anything conclusive from this because my dermatologist did that already when I went in for hair loss in the first place and everything was normal.

This is a great forum (even w/o the women!)- thank you for the feedback!

Another question...I wanted to ask Dr. E during the consultation how many HT's he performs in a week. Is that appropriate? Or should I ask in a month? How many SHOULD a doc be doing?

Thanks guys!

captain (a girl!) icon_smile.gif

Don't be shy about questions. Dr. E is a reputable Doc, has probably heard it before, and, I'm sure will answer any Q's.

Some HT doc's do 1 a day, that's it. Others, having more staff, can achieve 2 in a day. My recent HT with Dr. Wong.........he started with me since I had a mega session, then worked in another patient having lesser grafts.

How many should they do??? icon_confused.gif If they have capable staff (and the top Doc's do) they should be able to perform 2 per day without problems. These guys are pro's and most have been doing it a long time. I imagine it comes down to personal preference for the Doc, then they gear up accordingly.

Good luck with your consult! icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.