Shapiro veterans, question

noreaster

Harry, Mini, etc, can you guys tell me about the experience a little more. Does Dr. Shapiro do the work himself or are there other docs and technicians doing the work and Dr. Shapiro just runs back and forth between them? What gauge needle or blade is used? I know there was at least one or two from the east that went out there, what about the travel, anyone drive? And did you consult by email or the day before? I've seen the prices but any surprises? Thanks in advance guys.

Harry, Mini, etc, can you guys tell me about the experience a little more. Does Dr. Shapiro do the work himself or are there other docs and technicians doing the work and Dr. Shapiro just runs back and forth between them? What gauge needle or blade is used? I know there was at least one or two from the east that went out there, what about the travel, anyone drive? And did you consult by email or the day before? I've seen the prices but any surprises? Thanks in advance guys.

Shapiro Medical is comprised of a handful, and no more, of exceptional HT Surgeons of the THE highest caliber. If you talk to hairhair (he was w/ Dr Charles the day I was w/ Shapiro), he drove there from Chicago, whereas I flew in from LA.

To be honest, Dr Shaprio really did not leave the room every 30 minutes. I'm happy for hairhair that his perception was such (and Dr Charles is fantastic enough to stand on his own merit, regardless, from what I've seen and heard), but in truth Dr Shapiro was intensely involved with my procedure, in particular where it mattered; donor area removal and stitching, making the recipient site incisions (in which he took the most time), and the ongoing counting & check-ups with where the technicians were with their hair counts. Once the recipient incisions were established (which was done in phases), he, and the most senior technicians (who were all awesome, by the way), would undertake the placement of the grafts according to any specific, additional instructions Dr Shapiro would have as per the phase they were performing (alongside him quite often). Once the intial recipient sites were created, yes, Dr Shapiro (for all I was aware of) left the room and came back frequently for yet further extended periods of time.

In retrospect, having now heard from hairhair's account that he was making his presence and attention felt so frequently amongst his partner surgeon's surgery makes me feel all the more satisfied with just how involved Dr Shapiro actually IS in ALL HT procedures that take place under his roof. After all - if you had a reputation such as his, wouldn't YOU be intensely interested and concered about maintaining the mark?

Also, remember that, for the 2300+ FU's that I recieved that day (having paid for only 2000), the entire procedure (minus less than an hour for lunch) lasted from 8:30AM to about 7-something PM! It took ALOT of time for all the technicians to dissect all the FU's that I had from my strip (major density!), to say nothing for the placement of all those guys!

Listen - you have nothing to worry about... Every time I look in the mirror now I just have to smile and laugh at how frickin' awesome the whole thing is! YOU ARE IN "GOOD" HANDS THERE!

I have zero idea as to what guage needle the man used... I remember him mentioning something one time about a 20-something sized-something, but man, I was so "in-a-happy-place" at the time due to the Valium et al, I honestly don't remember! :-)

As far as consultation was concerned, yeah, I did my consult with Matt Zupan via phone and email (having emailed him my photoes). Because I was out of state, the rate card for me was listed as $4.50 per graft, which is actually tremendous given the quality of their work (what price utter undetectability - to say nothing for genuine grace and naturalness?!!). As it turned out, because they "threw-in" the extra 300+ grafts that were actually transplanted (which is more than common from what I've heard and read), the actual total figure per graft that I wound up paying for was more like $3.91 per graft!!!

So, yes, you could say that I was surprised pricewise, but in the RIGHT direction!!!

HarryLemon,

Glad you had such a great experience. I've felt pretty darn good about my decision to have my HT there as well.

Mine is coming up in about 3 weeks. I used to be really worried about all this, but not anymore. I am very much looking forward to it all.

My surgery will be with Dr Rose. I'm excited because of the great reputation all the doctors of Shapiro Medical have.

They are completely committed to customer service and a "totally undetectable" hair transplant. Unbeatable combination. Too bad so few follow this principle. That's why I'm thankful for this site.

I couldn't agree with you more. You know, even if this kind of quality work IS so hard to find - at least it can be found! That simple little fact right there is simething I find absolutely amazing, and am VERY grateful for! :-)

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THESE LITTLE DAMN CRITTERS TO START SPROUTIN'!!!