Question answer: What are the various methods of hair transplantation and how does it work?

Here is another one

------

The most current and up to date trend is Follicular Unit Transplantation. There is a whole history here that I won't get into...but ultimately follicular unit transplantation has replaced mini/micro graft transplantation. A follicular unit (FU) is the natural way in which a hair follicle grows. Each Follicular unit can contain either 1 hair, 2 hairs, 3 hairs, or 4 hairs.

Follicular Unit transplantation (FUT) is performed in one of two ways: Strip surgery or Follicular Unit Extraction.

Strip surgery is where the doctor and staff will surgically remove a linear strip of flesh from the donor area (I'm calling it flesh rather than skin to make a point...it is surgery and it's bloody...that's just the way it is) typically from ear to ear on the sides and back of your head that contains hair follicles. The strip is then sown up with sutures or stapled in order for the area to heal. The hair follicles are removed and cut from the strip of flesh by a staff of technicians and then surgically transplanted into your recipient area (the top of your head). Because skin with hair follicles are removed from your head, you will be left with a scar. Many advances have been made and the good news is, in the hands of a skilled doctor, the scar will be minimal.

The current trend with Strip surgery is to use the trichophytic closure technique to close the donor area. Generally speaking, this method involves closing the wound by overlapping the layers and trimming the edge of one side of the wound to complete the procedure. There are, however, variations of this technique. Quoted from JoTronic

"The Frechet method trims the lower edge so that the top overlaps. The Marzola version trims the top edge so that the bottom overlaps. Rose's version (referred to as the 'Ledge' closure) trims the lower edge but at more of a right angle or "notch" rather than a simple bevel. "

Ultimately the goal of the trichophytic closure is to minimize the appearance of the wound by allowing hair to grow through it. While the technicians are cutting the FUs from the strip, the doctor makes incisions using a cutting instrument into your recipient area. The latest and current trend among elite physicians is to use custom cut blades, however, many clinics still use "pre-fab" needles to make the incisions.

The doctor will make as many incisions as there are follicular units removed. Once this is complete, the tedious process of placing the grafts into the recipient sites occurs. I had 3 strip surgeries total...here is to my third surgery with Dr. Hasson: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopi...1051862&f=2566060861

Follicuar Unit Extraction (FUE) or Follicular Isolation Technique (FIT) is a means of using a punch like device to extract one follicular unit at a time from your scalp. This is not the same, however, as the old punch graft technique. The standard size of the extraction tool used is typically .6mm to 1.3 mm depending on the number of hairs in the follicular unit. The doctor uses a cutting instrument to make incisions in your recipient area in order for the follicular unit grafts to be inserted. Some physicians use custom cut blades while others use other cutting instruments such as needles, etc. Typically the grafts are inserted into the recipient sites as they are removed from the scalp, however, various clinics may deviate from this. Here is a link to a guy with alias "Hairroot" who had FUE surgery with Dr. Feller. Results look great: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=150307

---

Bill

Here is another one

------

The most current and up to date trend is Follicular Unit Transplantation. There is a whole history here that I won't get into...but ultimately follicular unit transplantation has replaced mini/micro graft transplantation. A follicular unit (FU) is the natural way in which a hair follicle grows. Each Follicular unit can contain either 1 hair, 2 hairs, 3 hairs, or 4 hairs.

Follicular Unit transplantation (FUT) is performed in one of two ways: Strip surgery or Follicular Unit Extraction.

Strip surgery is where the doctor and staff will surgically remove a linear strip of flesh from the donor area (I'm calling it flesh rather than skin to make a point...it is surgery and it's bloody...that's just the way it is) typically from ear to ear on the sides and back of your head that contains hair follicles. The strip is then sown up with sutures or stapled in order for the area to heal. The hair follicles are removed and cut from the strip of flesh by a staff of technicians and then surgically transplanted into your recipient area (the top of your head). Because skin with hair follicles are removed from your head, you will be left with a scar. Many advances have been made and the good news is, in the hands of a skilled doctor, the scar will be minimal.

The current trend with Strip surgery is to use the trichophytic closure technique to close the donor area. Generally speaking, this method involves closing the wound by overlapping the layers and trimming the edge of one side of the wound to complete the procedure. There are, however, variations of this technique. Quoted from JoTronic

"The Frechet method trims the lower edge so that the top overlaps. The Marzola version trims the top edge so that the bottom overlaps. Rose's version (referred to as the 'Ledge' closure) trims the lower edge but at more of a right angle or "notch" rather than a simple bevel. "

Ultimately the goal of the trichophytic closure is to minimize the appearance of the wound by allowing hair to grow through it. While the technicians are cutting the FUs from the strip, the doctor makes incisions using a cutting instrument into your recipient area. The latest and current trend among elite physicians is to use custom cut blades, however, many clinics still use "pre-fab" needles to make the incisions.

The doctor will make as many incisions as there are follicular units removed. Once this is complete, the tedious process of placing the grafts into the recipient sites occurs. I had 3 strip surgeries total...here is to my third surgery with Dr. Hasson: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopi...1051862&f=2566060861

Follicuar Unit Extraction (FUE) or Follicular Isolation Technique (FIT) is a means of using a punch like device to extract one follicular unit at a time from your scalp. This is not the same, however, as the old punch graft technique. The standard size of the extraction tool used is typically .6mm to 1.3 mm depending on the number of hairs in the follicular unit. The doctor uses a cutting instrument to make incisions in your recipient area in order for the follicular unit grafts to be inserted. Some physicians use custom cut blades while others use other cutting instruments such as needles, etc. Typically the grafts are inserted into the recipient sites as they are removed from the scalp, however, various clinics may deviate from this. Here is a link to a guy with alias "Hairroot" who had FUE surgery with Dr. Feller. Results look great: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=150307

---

Bill

Bill,

"The doctor uses a custom cut blade to make incisions in your recipient area in order for the follicular unit grafts to be inserted."

Not really, the vast majority of clinics still use pre-fab needles not custom blades, to make the recipient sites. The use of custom blades is not a common occurrence. Even fewer FUE docs use blades.

"The current trend is to use the trichophytic closure technique to close the donor area. This is where the skin is pulled up to slightly overlap the top of the wound so that hair can grow through the scar making the appearance of the scar less evident."

This is the version that Dr. Marzola introduced whereas Dr. Frechet introduced the more commonly used version where the top edge of the wound overlaps the lower edge. Dr. Rose has the "Ledge" technique which is basically the same but with a different name. In addition, each technique involves the trimming the edge of one side of the wound to complete the procedure. The Frechet method trims the lower edge so that the top overlaps. The Marzola version trims the top edge so that the bottom overlaps. Rose's version trims the lower edge but at more of a right angle or "notch" rather than a simple bevel.

Just thought I'd clarify.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

JoTronic,

Thank you for the clarification on the trichophytic closure. i've updated my post to reflect a more accurate picture of reality.

Regarding custom cut blades...I made an assumption here which I should have clarified...that I'm referring to doctors using the latest techniques and technology. But I should update that to mention the latest technique verses what is standard.

That being said...there have been a lot of debate regarding the use of pre-fab needles in the industry as to whether it is good or bad. From what I understand, direction of hair growth is much more difficult, if not impossible to control with the use of these needles. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks for posting Joe.

Bill