avodart shedding

steve21

Steve,

The reason for an Avodart shed is the same as a reason for a Propecia shed. Both seem to kick hair from Anagen (hair growth phase) to Catagen (transitional phase) then Telogen (resting phase). The Catagen/Telogen phases combined can last up to 2 months. Obviously this is more noticeable if a large quantity of your MPB hair "sheds" due to the meds. I don't think you can determine who will shed or who won't...........I think it's more who will shed "lots of hair at once" versus those who continue the normal shedding cycle.

You want the shed, eventually, because what grows back will not have been inhibited by the DHT which is causing degeneration of the follicle and ultimate permanent loss of the hair. Make sense?? Shedding is a normal cycle for all hair..............it just so happens that these meds cause some to shed alot at one time causing it to be more noticeable.

You may want to PM Robert from this site as he's on Avodart and I'm pretty sure he experienced some sheds during the first year.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

thank you.

how come you are not on avodart? i thought that many drs (including h&w) were of the opinion that avodart was much more effective in keeping/generating more hair?

Hi steve21,

Avodart is not yet FDA approved for hairloss and has more potent side effects than Propecia. It is recommended that all patients go through a couple of years of Propecia before considering Avodart as Finasteride (Active ingredient of Propecia/Proscar) has been around for over 40 years and there is a large body of knowledge about it. Avodart on the other hand is relatively new which means that no one knows the long term side effects of it if any.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Steve,

I researched both Finasteride (Propecia) and Duasteride (Avodart) extensively before opting for Finasteride. The long-term studies for Finasteride weighed heavily in my decision along with this quote from an article written by Doc Epstein regarding Duasteride (Avodart):

"Finasteride has a biological model and dutasteride does not. This quite simply means that there is much more safety data on Propecia than Avodart right now. The effects of 5AR type 2 deficiency, (the same environment Propecia creates) have been thoroughly studied for over 25 years in a group of patients in the Dominican Republic. The long-term "side effects" are no hair loss, and no prostate cancer. Patients with genetic 5AR-2 deficiency have no life-threatening disorders and there is no 5AR-2 present in their brain tissue. Conversely, there is no biological model for 5AR type 1 deficiency, which Avodart creates, and there are measurable levels of 5AR-1 in the human brain. Conclusion -- the blockage of 5AR-1 may have yet unknown neurological implications." (I tried attaching an old link I had to the whole article but it now links to Stuart Medical Group joining the Bosley group... icon_mad.gif)

It was the last sentence that scared me a little. Now.........keep in mind........I'm 39 years old and was a NW 4 before my first HT 1 1/2 years ago. The point being I wanted a DHT inhibitor to keep what native hair I have left. Those younger than I may be hoping for maintenance plus regrowth...............I'm just wanting to keep what I have and, given my perceived risk with Duasteride, Finasteride was the logical choice for me.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Shedding is dependant on the individual. While I had a few good sheds, you may not experience any. I had one at about 2 months after I started the drug that was pretty rough, but nothing I lost sleep over. I think the idea of shedding is more traumatic than actually going through it. It really isn't that bad - especially when you keep in mind that the shedding's very existance verifies that the drug is working for you.

If you aren't on Propecia do yourself a favor and get on that first. Avodart is nothing to jump head first into. While I don't experience any side effects (that I know of) the potential for serious effects are there, especially since it inhibits 5AR-1, which is located in the brain. I mean, who knows? I could just keel over any minu...

Heh heh. Just a little joke there. Hope this helps.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 7 years later...