HT with Dr. Feller 6/6/08 1834 grafts, 3000 hairs

After many months of hounding Dr. Feller with office visits and questions...fue vs strip, hair style, # of grafts, front 1/3, crown...etc. I think he used up 2 of those priceless purple pens on me drawing diff HT's based on my ever changing ideas. He always welcomed me regardless of his schedule. I know he is in the business of HT's, however, IMO he goes that extra step and these days that is rare. He is a gem.

Being that I already had an HT back in 2004, by one of the coalition doc's, I did know what to expect...at least I thought I did. I'm not bashing any Doc here, just telling it like it is.

Of course I don't know how my HT will end up, but I do want to post my HT experience with Doc Feller compared with my previous HT experience. I've identified categories which to discuss.

The Purple pen: Doc Feller was with me drawing my design for probably 15 minutes, changing things until he felt it was just right. Previous HT, the Doc I met with didn't even come in the operating room to draw the initial design, his partner did...I put an end to that real quick and made sure the doc I met with drew the lines. IMO, how can someone who has no idea what I'm looking for draw the lines?? He took about 30 seconds and the lines were done.

Strip removal: no major diff between doc's. Doc Feller did say the previous scar was very good. Previous Doc had me face down, Doc Feller had me sitting in the chair which felt better for me.

Scopes: Doc Feller's crew seemed to be ready rather quickly with my lil fellas which I have to think creates less stress on the grafts and the recipient slits?? Maybe since 2004 they have refined the procedure for splitting the grafts...not sure. I do know that I waited probably an hour for the other Doc's office to bring the grafts.

Slits: Doc Feller shines again, he took his time, very slow and precise. Believe it or not, I actually fell asleep while he was working...I was astonished by this. Also, at the end of the procedure he saves some grafts for touch up and provided a couple hundred addl slits. Previous Doc seemed like he had a jack hammer in his hand when making the slits, very rapid and had his tech counting the, she couldn't keep up with him...I believe this creates excessive trauma and was thinking just that when he was doing this. I figured he is the Doc, so he must know what is best.

Involvement: Doc Feller was constantly checking in on me and interacting with staff. Previous HT Doc probably visited me once during the procedure(about 10 hours). Didn't seem to be very involved is my point.

Staff: Both were very attentive. However, my main problem with the first HT was the use of 2hair grafts in the front area. This has caused me much stress over the past couple of years trying to hide it. They are noticeable. Also, IMO, I believe they over medicated me ( the tech said "I pumped you full of that stuff") I guess to help with the pain as I had felt a little burning by both the left and right side of my frontal area. IMO, this probably caused some hair loss.

Graft Placement: First HT I had about 1500 grafts...not sure on the hair count, they never mentioned this? I arrived at the office at 7:30am and was gone I believe at 6pm. I know it was late, but can't be sure exactly. At Doc Feller's, the procedure was started about 11:30am and I was done by 4:30pm. More grafts were placed and I was finished in less than half the time required for the first HT. Also, the first HT, I don't believe anyone was providing irrigation...at Doc Feller's this was constant.

Swelling/Redness: First HT I was red about a 1/4 inch below my hairline for several months...I swelled up like a Hot Air Balloon for 4 days and my head was very numb for months. So far Doc Feller's HT, no redness other than where the grafts were placed ( this will be washed away once I can shower, I had limited swelling yesterday and this morning it is almost gone.

Pain: Minimal with both, other than as noted above. Today Sunday, my procedure was Friday, none at all. I do have a high tolerance to pain, but it really has not been an issue with either HT Doc.

I know all of the pro's on the site will ask for pic's and I'm sure Doc Feller will post pic's.

Thanks to Doc Feller and his staff.

Also, thanks to all of the ppl who put in so much time on this site providing advice..it has been very helpful. I wish I knew about this site prior to my first HT.

After many months of hounding Dr. Feller with office visits and questions...fue vs strip, hair style, # of grafts, front 1/3, crown...etc. I think he used up 2 of those priceless purple pens on me drawing diff HT's based on my ever changing ideas. He always welcomed me regardless of his schedule. I know he is in the business of HT's, however, IMO he goes that extra step and these days that is rare. He is a gem.

Being that I already had an HT back in 2004, by one of the coalition doc's, I did know what to expect...at least I thought I did. I'm not bashing any Doc here, just telling it like it is.

Of course I don't know how my HT will end up, but I do want to post my HT experience with Doc Feller compared with my previous HT experience. I've identified categories which to discuss.

The Purple pen: Doc Feller was with me drawing my design for probably 15 minutes, changing things until he felt it was just right. Previous HT, the Doc I met with didn't even come in the operating room to draw the initial design, his partner did...I put an end to that real quick and made sure the doc I met with drew the lines. IMO, how can someone who has no idea what I'm looking for draw the lines?? He took about 30 seconds and the lines were done.

Strip removal: no major diff between doc's. Doc Feller did say the previous scar was very good. Previous Doc had me face down, Doc Feller had me sitting in the chair which felt better for me.

Scopes: Doc Feller's crew seemed to be ready rather quickly with my lil fellas which I have to think creates less stress on the grafts and the recipient slits?? Maybe since 2004 they have refined the procedure for splitting the grafts...not sure. I do know that I waited probably an hour for the other Doc's office to bring the grafts.

Slits: Doc Feller shines again, he took his time, very slow and precise. Believe it or not, I actually fell asleep while he was working...I was astonished by this. Also, at the end of the procedure he saves some grafts for touch up and provided a couple hundred addl slits. Previous Doc seemed like he had a jack hammer in his hand when making the slits, very rapid and had his tech counting the, she couldn't keep up with him...I believe this creates excessive trauma and was thinking just that when he was doing this. I figured he is the Doc, so he must know what is best.

Involvement: Doc Feller was constantly checking in on me and interacting with staff. Previous HT Doc probably visited me once during the procedure(about 10 hours). Didn't seem to be very involved is my point.

Staff: Both were very attentive. However, my main problem with the first HT was the use of 2hair grafts in the front area. This has caused me much stress over the past couple of years trying to hide it. They are noticeable. Also, IMO, I believe they over medicated me ( the tech said "I pumped you full of that stuff") I guess to help with the pain as I had felt a little burning by both the left and right side of my frontal area. IMO, this probably caused some hair loss.

Graft Placement: First HT I had about 1500 grafts...not sure on the hair count, they never mentioned this? I arrived at the office at 7:30am and was gone I believe at 6pm. I know it was late, but can't be sure exactly. At Doc Feller's, the procedure was started about 11:30am and I was done by 4:30pm. More grafts were placed and I was finished in less than half the time required for the first HT. Also, the first HT, I don't believe anyone was providing irrigation...at Doc Feller's this was constant.

Swelling/Redness: First HT I was red about a 1/4 inch below my hairline for several months...I swelled up like a Hot Air Balloon for 4 days and my head was very numb for months. So far Doc Feller's HT, no redness other than where the grafts were placed ( this will be washed away once I can shower, I had limited swelling yesterday and this morning it is almost gone.

Pain: Minimal with both, other than as noted above. Today Sunday, my procedure was Friday, none at all. I do have a high tolerance to pain, but it really has not been an issue with either HT Doc.

I know all of the pro's on the site will ask for pic's and I'm sure Doc Feller will post pic's.

Thanks to Doc Feller and his staff.

Also, thanks to all of the ppl who put in so much time on this site providing advice..it has been very helpful. I wish I knew about this site prior to my first HT.

It's great that you've had such an outstanding experience. We all know how great Feller's finished product looks, so it's nice to know the whole experience is just as great.

I would like to ask who performed your first procedure? I know you said a coalition doc, but personally I would feel drawn to share my experience no matter what coalition they are apart of. And don't worry, plenty of people here will defend you if you start a posting war... icon_mad.gif

I know how you feel about hiding, my first hairline was made up of 4's.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

T -- hey man, congratulations. So nice to hear a great story every once in a while, and yours is all the better because it is a true story I can identify with.

Someday I will consider my second HT, and been collecting material on Dr. Feller because he seems to be the most awesome of the coalition surgeons here in New York, where I live.

My first HT was with Dr. Bernstein, and he taught me a lot.

But I have debated whether I might want to try a different surgeon for a future procedure or comeback to Bernstein. Stories like yours nudge me to consider Dr. Feller for my future work.

Thanks man, and happy growin'

aH

Agent,

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can see your hair looks great tight...but if you are looking for a second go round, Dr. Feller is certainly one of the top guy's.

I don't know much about Dr. Bernstein, but from what I have read here, he is one of the top guy's as well.

I'm in NY as well..maybe when we grow out a drink could be in order....and leave the hat's at home icon_smile.gif!

Good luck

T

Agent Dr Bernstein is an excellent surgeon. Theres not one doctor on here that would say different . The problem is he is known as a conservative doc and when you start seeing all these dense hairlines it makes him look like hes behind the times . Dr Feller dense packs hairlines without oing overboard. If you happy with Bern then I would stay if not Feller would be a great choice

Hey tofueornottofue

Weldone on your recent ht with one of the worlds best ht surgeons , , you have nothing to worry about and from now on your future will be rosy .

Welcome to the brotherhood and remember , do try to post some pics , it's always more interesting with pictures and they do speak a thousand words .

good luck

richie

RESEARCH = TOP SURGEON = TOP RESULTS

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007