Question about...one month after HT

Hi,

I had a frontal 1300 grafts HT about a month ago. A lot of my grafts (transplant hairs) still stay in place, some did shred/fall off. They don't shred like what a lot of people on this board claim. I have read through a lot pages about HT. Majority says their hairs/grafts usually fall off/shred 2 weeks after the HT. When I look at the mirror, It seems like my hairs/grafts are actually growing longer. In addition, I've been taking propecia for 2 weeks.

*Majority of grafts/transplant hairs stay in place, small portion shred/fall off.

Is my case normal since my grafts/hairs stay still? and will the hairs grow back in the area where the grafts/hairs shredded?

Hi,

I had a frontal 1300 grafts HT about a month ago. A lot of my grafts (transplant hairs) still stay in place, some did shred/fall off. They don't shred like what a lot of people on this board claim. I have read through a lot pages about HT. Majority says their hairs/grafts usually fall off/shred 2 weeks after the HT. When I look at the mirror, It seems like my hairs/grafts are actually growing longer. In addition, I've been taking propecia for 2 weeks.

*Majority of grafts/transplant hairs stay in place, small portion shred/fall off.

Is my case normal since my grafts/hairs stay still? and will the hairs grow back in the area where the grafts/hairs shredded?

Varsity, I had the same thing as you,alot of my transplanted grafts just kept on growing normally so i didnt shed too many.The ones that shed will grow later usually in 5-10 months.Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones that doesnt shed all hairs and so you have an idea of the end result!!.It is rare though.Remember they can sometimes shed upto 4 weeks later.

HT 2006/7

Varsityblue,

I am assuming you are following the prescribed post-operative care? I say this only because, while the actual grafts have surely taken, the visible hair shafts are not necessary growing. Sometime the scalp must be scrubbed with a bit of vigor to dislodge any "dormant" shafts. My guess is that you are in fact getting early growth because, otherwise, you would have observed cist formations in the recipient area (certainly if it has been a full month). Sounds like you are good shape, though. Still, it is always good to keep in touch with your clinic. If for no other reason, you can share the good news. icon_wink.gif

We are at a juncture in hair transplantation where patients can and should expect elegant final results. Furthermore, post-operative discomfort is very minimal with today's state-of-the-art FUT. One "down side" I see with the procedure is that there is an element of delayed gratification. That is to say, patients typically see growth at 3 months, noticeable cosmetic changes at 6 months, and full results at one year. It is, of course, worth the wait when the surgery is performed in expert hands. Some patient get quicker growth or, in your case varsityblue, growth right "out of the gate." It goes without saying that I am pleased when this happens.

Glad to hear the update. Keep up the good growth!

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Varsity, I have been fortunate enough like you. I got my HT exactly 9 weeks ago. I retained almost all my grafts till about 4 weeks. Between weeks 4-5, I had some shedding, but my estimate is that about 60% of the grafts remained intact.

Those 60% that stayed from the beginning, have grown significantly since then. In addition, since week 7, I am seeing the appearance of new hair - in the places where I had shedding.

I had HT at the hairline only. Right now, at week 9, I am quite happy with what I am seeing.

Good luck to you!

FG