2-3mg Propecia and melatonin quetion

Shyguy

i had another consult with a doctor today. he suggested that instead of using avodart i should first try upping my dosage of propecia from 1mg to 2mg, then possibly 3mg per day. the doctor says he has done this with several patients and they are happy with the results.

he also said that the makers of propecia state 1mg to be 'optimal' they do not define what optimal means.

has anyone used more then 1mg/day of propecia?

he also mentioned to me that some of his patients are taking melatonin for hair loss. if taken in a tablet form it can cause drowsiness. some of his patients are taking it or applying it before bed.

does anyone know how melatonin helps fight hair loss?

thanks!

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

well i took 2mg of propecia today. the doctor told me not to start with nizoral 2% shampoo yet as i won't know if upping the propeica dosage is working or if it's the shampoo. he also suggested going of rogaine foam which i started about 1 week ago. again he wants to know what is working and when we mix meds or treatments we don't know which is working and which isn't.

i took 2mg of propecia a few days in a row. i started feeling the side effects (ED).

i'm wondering if i take 2mg every other day or third day if i will still feel the side effects given the half life of propecia.

comments?

Taking more than than 1 mg would not do any good!

Trust me.

Finasteride is Type 2 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitor and reversibly causes very minor inhibition of Type 1 5-Alpha reductase.

Type 2 accounts for 2/3 of circulating DHT levels, and most you can block 80% DHT with finasteride.Period.

There wont be any benefit unles you ingest 8-10g of finasteride, which will wreck havoc on your progesterone metabolism!!

JOOC, who was the doctor who said melatonin was effective for hair loss? Was it a coalition doc?

I take 5 mg every night before bed and sleep like a baby; once I got used to it -- about a week -- I had no "hangover" the next day.

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo

Originally posted by Rick055:

JOOC, who was the doctor who said melatonin was effective for hair loss? Was it a coalition doc?

I take 5 mg every night before bed and sleep like a baby; once I got used to it -- about a week -- I had no "hangover" the next day.

he was not a coalition doctor but he was recommended by a coalition doctors office who i will be visiting in december. i had questions regarding avodart vs. propecia and they suggested i speak with this doctor who is a dermatologist.

A study was run comparing 1mg to 5mg Finasteride over a period of one year. Maximum hair counts were not increased in the 5mg subjects, but they did reach their end point sooner. Finasteride has a nearly straight line dose curve ranging from 0.05mg to 5mg.