I need you to answer this

Greetings,

I am 21 and I have been thinining for over 5 years now. YOu can see with free eye, that I don't have enough hair on the top. Is not horrible, but it is pretty bad overall on the top of my head. A month ago I started Propecia, but even if it grows a little, it won't grow everthing. I would like to go on FU, but I have heard people that say: if you start it, you will have to go back to it.

My questions are:

-Is 21 old enough for this?

-If I get 1000 FUs, and keep using propecia do you think that is going to be enough or do I still need to go for other procedures later on?

-What are some of the things I should consider before taking this step?

Thank you to you all, this is my first posting, I think this virtual community is great.

Greetings,

I am 21 and I have been thinining for over 5 years now. YOu can see with free eye, that I don't have enough hair on the top. Is not horrible, but it is pretty bad overall on the top of my head. A month ago I started Propecia, but even if it grows a little, it won't grow everthing. I would like to go on FU, but I have heard people that say: if you start it, you will have to go back to it.

My questions are:

-Is 21 old enough for this?

-If I get 1000 FUs, and keep using propecia do you think that is going to be enough or do I still need to go for other procedures later on?

-What are some of the things I should consider before taking this step?

Thank you to you all, this is my first posting, I think this virtual community is great.

It is a difficult situation you are in. You are losing a lot of hair at a very young age. Unfortunately, chances are that your hairloss will only get worse with age.

Most doctors will not operate on someone as young as you. A few might, but be careful of their motivations.

An ethical doctor will tell you to stay on Propecia for a year and see where that gets you. That is my recommendation as well.

If that doesn't produce the results you want, then an HT may be okay if you stay conservative, go for coverage over your entire top, and NOT lower or bring forward your hairline.

You are just too young to commit to an aggressive strategy. If you do a conservative strategy and help keep what you have and improve on it some, then you can go back later if your hairloss stabilizes and add more in. If you commit a lot of FUs to the front at such an early age and then progress to a NW6 or higher, you will become a slave to a hair system. Yeah, sounds fun to me too.

I know the situation you are in is not fun. But decide what you'll be happy with and keep your expectations realistic. Get educated and proceed with confidence in treating your hairloss. You are on the right track.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Thank you for your quick reply Vocor1. Very helpful.

I still don't understand why wouldn't the docs do a procedure on a 21 year old though. I want te tell you that my hair loss started at a very early age, like 14-15, kinda weird, I don't know why so early. But it has been gradual though. I have been using Propecia for 3 weeks now, and my hair loss has almost stoped. So I figure, Propecia is working, the FU would cover the rest, and maybe I will be happier with that.

Does anyone know about this?

You might also try minoxodil. The conventional wisdom is that it only helps in the crown, but it basically arrested my hair loss, and I even regrew some hair in the front. I think I was one of the lucky ones since I had such a great response, but you should give it a try and see.

HG

Docs won't do an HT at 21 primarily because it is too difficult to predict your hairloss at that age. You are probably not done losing hair. Many people that young want to lower their hairlines and such, and it is a recipe for disaster. Filling in the top is not enough for them. The problem again is that you'll lose more hair most likely, and if you progress to NW6 after filling in temples and lowering you'll be miserable. It isn't worth the risk.

If you try Propecia and Rogaine, you are showing everyone you are proactive and serious about controlling your hairloss versus looking for a quick fix. That quick fix can have damning consequences.

Each person is a different case, and I'm making a generalization that most docs and posters to this site will repeat. We have posters here who went for HTs in their early 20s and most of them weren't too happy with the result because their hairloss was just beginning when they got their young 20s HT.

Like I said, an HT still might not be out of the question. Just your planning and research is more difficult because of those other factors involved that I've written you about.

Best of luck.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.