HT discussion on BBC Radio 5Live

Longpig

Will there ever be a mainstream discussion in the UK about male hair loss that actually treats the subject seriously?

Last night Radio 5Live had a feature on it. Dr. Rogers was interviewed and gave a brief description of what a transplant involves and the type of people who have them. The presenter suggested that this was all about men wanting to 'vainly reclaim their youth'. Dr. Rogers quickly put her straight on this by saying in some cases this was true, but what about blokes in their early twenties? They are still living their youth and simply want to look the age they are.

After a few minutes of semi-serious discussion, it all to quickly and predictably descended into the usual mickey taking. The presenter then invited listeners to send in their 'unusual cures for baldness'. Cue a load of moronic suggestions like ''Rub beetroot on it, get a cat to lick it, put a rabbit on it, from a distance it will look like hair etc.

Oh, and of course the old chestnut: ''just shave it off - after all it works for - (insert name of any shaven headed celeb). It reminds me of the Dear Deidre column in The Sun. Whenever anyone wrote in depressed about hair loss, her standard reply would be: ''Look at Phil Collins. He's bald but look at the success he's had!'' Well yeah, but as you say Deidre - 'look at Phil Collins!', that's not the look I'm hoping to achieve thank you very much.

Why is it vain and a sign of weakness for a man to want to improve his appearance and self-confidence by putting hair on his head, yet perfectly acceptable for a woman to get a boob job?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick to death of male pattern baldness being treated by the media in this way. Hair loss has affected me by completely repressing my personality throughout my twenties and well into my thirties, with others it can ruin their lives and has even been known to occasionally lead to suicide.

When is the media-sniggering about this depressing condition ever going to end?

LP

I agree with you, Longpig.

It's an uphill battle but hopefully someday soon the stigma of HT's will fade into the past. Media personalities and "talking heads" are mostly shallow twerps themselves, so don't be too concerned about their comments...although they do keep the stigma alive with their inane attempts at humor.

The more people who get HT's done and the more information provided on sites like these, hopefully things will slowly change for the better. As for your comparing boob jobs with HT's, peoples hair is literally "in your face" when you talk to them so it is far more noticeable and comment worthy. Apparently, it's impolite to stare at women's boobs when you talk to them...or so my wife tells me! It's like a catch 22, they want you to notice their boobs...but you cant discuss it?? Bitches be crazy!

Hang in there, LP

Kman

i agree totally lp.

this is why i applaud people like shaun williamson and recently john cleese,who have spoken publically about their proceedures.

this can only help and give hope to guys/girls who were in our postition before our ht's.

i think we would be gobsmacked at who in the media/showbiz have had ht's and chosen to keep it to themselves.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Longpig,

I agree with you completely.

I am not sure why it appears to be publicly acceptable to ridicule men in particular with hair loss, but it would be taboo to tease someone for being overweight.

The problem with mainstream television is that they may be attempting to offer some information, but want to maintain their audience through entertainment. And what a better way to entertain than to make jokes.

I think it's good to keep our senses of humor when dealing with our insecurities, but I do agree that a certain level of sensitivity should remain, especially in our real lives. I've had people come up to me in the early years of hair loss and bluntly point out that I'm going bald. I almost turned around to the overweight fellow and said "and you're fat, but you don't see me announcing it to everyone". But I thought I'd show a little more couth than he. icon_smile.gif

Bill