Dr. Lehr in Oklahoma City....

modman17

OK, so after posting my experience with him I've read mixed reviews about Dr. Lehr in Oklahoma City... anyone else have an experience with him they could share?

As for me, I only have good things to say about the guy, but I'm still waiting to see the final results of my second procedure with him.

I think he is a nice and ethical guy. BUT, although I am at 8 1/2 months my results are very disappointing (my opinion). I don't know what else to say, I think I will have some additional thickening of what has grown, but my overall assessment is this was a very poor job. Lots of shock loss and poor growth. There is no second place in theis business you either hit a home run or not. I am now in the position of trying to figure out what to do next.

My experience has been overall positive with Dr. Lehr. I had a HT with him this February. At about 8 months out, I have seen very good progress on one side, the other was a little slower to get going, but I believe by the 1-year mark I will be very pleased. If you want more information, send me a PM.

• 1 month later...

Are there any other patients of Dr. Lehr out there? Those of us who live in OK this is important. If the results of his procedures are truly mixed, would anyone recommend a surgeon in Colorado, Texas or elsewhere? I'm thinking about having Dr. Lehr do mine as he is a recommended surgeon on this site, but if there are better choices (for about 2500-3000 grafts) close by, I'd look at that. I've wondered about Dr. Harris in Colorado as an alternative but I'm not sure. Any suggestions on top nearby choices would be appreciated! Also, if there are a lot of Lehr patients out there who are satisfied I'd really like to hear from you!

I have heard MANY good things about Dr. Harris in Colorado.

I think Dr. Lehr is OK, but your idea of having a HT "close by" is a tad frightening.

Do NOT let geography factor into your decision until you have narrowed your research to 2 or 3 "BEST" docs for you, THEN weigh geographical considerations.

If you are not ready to travel to meet or exceed your HT expectations, then I would reconsider putting off a HT for now.

Please spend some time on the site doing research before you make your decision.

Good Luck!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Neptune,

I hope that my input is welcome here; I have knowledge of neither Dr. Lehr nor of any clinics out West. What I wanted to share, however, was urging you to take the "nearby" from your "top nearby choices." If you're concerned about the added cost of travelling to, say, NYC, or anywhere on the East Coast, or H&W in Canada, then I'd recommend simply factoring in the travel in your overall HT budget, and basing your choice on reputation and quality alone. It's far better with such a long-lasting and permanent decision to wait, if necessary to save $$$ for a more expensive job+plane fare scenario than to take a more local risk...assuming, of course, that you can't find a comparable doctor nearer to you.

Forgive the rambling...best wishes to you in your research...!

Benjamin

Thank you for your advice. Let me be clear. I have absolutely zero problem with traveling. I just have no way to know really where to go other than what people say here or physicians who are listed on this site. I'd go to Minneapolis, New York or wherever if that will provide a better experience than here in OKC. Just seemed a bit simple that Dr. Lehr, who took over for Dr. Norwood and who's right here in OKC could be the guy to do the job. But I just don't hear people lined up saying what a great outcome they got here, and I hear that from some of you talking highly about other surgeons. So, I'm wondering if I should just pick a couple based on popularity here and go see them. I'm only in the market for about 1500 to 2500 FUs, mainly in front and front top to rebuild and populate the hairline and ridges. No loss yet in crown or mid scalp, so I want to start the rebuilding process now while I have a chance to fill rather than replace entirely.

Any advice on top surgeons that are highly thought of by you folks would be greatly appreciated!

Neptune,

I agree that one should do as much research as possible and location should only be a factor between a 50/50 choice of doctors. I have elected to have Dr. Lehr perform my HT of 2000 grants this month. I searched a ton about him. I am aware of hthtr's expierence (negative) and modman who had seemingly slow growth. There are a few people with pics out there on hairlosshelp.com and another forum I found through google that had a guy with good results from him. What did it for me was when I met him. He is very sincere, gives you the worst case scenarios, answers all questions I had then and through emails. Even after I gave concerns about my appearance 4 weeks post-op he once suggested I might not be ready for one. I haven't had my HT yet, but can only say that I found him to be a stand up guy who has a good manner about him. When I went to my consult I took a friend of mine who is a lady, she has had several cosmetic surgeries, and she was practically begging him to give her eyebrow implants (which he said he doesn't do). I trust her intuition a lot. That is what I have to offer.

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.

Dr. Lehr is a fine physician. However, he is not currently in the Coalition. At this point in time, when I am asked about this Doc or that Doc, and patients are simply unsure or simply do not know enough, or do not want to do any real hard research, I refer them to Coalition Docs 100% of the time.

Of course, I have my PERSONAL research and opinions regarding many Docs, some of who are not in the Coalition, but do great work as well.

What I recommend for anyone who is willing to travel, is do 2 or 3 virtual consults with Coalition Docs and compare and contrast them with the information you recieve from a local doc. You will find that when it comes down to it, you will pay either less or the same for a Doctor producing Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Grafting with proven, consistant results.

They will have patient after patient willing to talk to you, photos that you do not see on the websites, and several patients for you to meet in person if you so desire.

Last, regardless of the many Docs that each member has used, many of us here all agree that several Docs stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Coalition Docs.

Take the guesswork out of the equation.

I hope this helps.

Oh, BTW, I went to Shapiro and I would recommend he be on your list of potential consults from personal experience.

H&W, Cooley, Reed, Alexander, Feller, Epstein, etc.. etc... etc..

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.