scar donor length

it really depends on the density of your donor ara and your scalp laxity, aka, how wide of a scar they can take out. Let's put it this way...let's assume that you have 100 FU/cm 2 and decent laxity. If the doctor takes a 2 cm strip, each cm in length would then be approximately 200 FU. So you are looking at approximately a 10 CM scar in width for 2000 FU grafts. If they can only get a 1.5 cm strip, it will be approximately a 30 cm strip. Make sense?

Bill

yes, it does make sense and has been some help. I got a 15 cm x 1.5mm approx donor scar from which 2000 grafts were taken for a strip procedure, so that doesn't sound too bad to me!!

Just have to wait and see how the scar turns out in a few months

Cheers

Bill

johnno,

That's not necessary quite accurate. You can't measure the amount of grafts taken from your donor scar. You can only measure that amount of grafts taken from the strip that was taken. If I could measure the number of grafts taken out of my donor scar, I'd have one crazy wide donor scar. The strip is taken and then you are sewn back together leaving you with a thin pencil line scar in best cases. The scar cannot be used as a unit of measurement to determine how many grafts you got...make sense?

Bill

2000 grafts is usually a 1 cm wide strip that is 23-25 cm long.

To only have a 15 cm scar for 2000 grafts is odd, but it could mean that the Doc took a wider portion of tissue, probably 1.7-1.8 cm wide.

There is nothing really "wrong" with this, but an accepted philosophy is to go longer and thinner with the strip in order to preserve laxity for successive surgeries and reduce tension on the scar itself.

Anyway, hope everything is working out for you.

Good Luck and happy growing.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hey Panther, sorry to hear that you experienced such poor yield.

You have to remember that when docs excise the existing scar tissue, you reduce the # of grafts your strip will yield. Even though you had 1 cm wide section of tissue removed, if you have 1-3 mm of scar tissue throughout the entire strip, you are just having tissue removed, and what amounts to a scar revision, to be honest. The nice thing is that a good chance exists that should you go in for another strip session, you may be able to get a better yield due to the fact that a large portion of scar tissue has been removed. (Cross fingers and do scalp exercises)

Due to the fact that you have had many surgeries, this is most likely the reason for your yield.

I am glad that you chose a good physician who will be able to help you reach your goals!

Have a great holiday!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.