6 mo. post-op

zerro

Hey guys/gals... I haven't posted in a while because I don't believe I have anything of value to add. However, I do read the boards on a regular basis.

Anyway, I'm nearly six months post-op and not real impressed with the results. My Ht has been growing since mo. two, has considerable length but poor density. Does the density improve from here? I think I was overly optimistic that the frontal area would be a done deal or at the very least much better. NW 6, 1600 fu's in the front half.

More concerns... I would like to try a new hair style but I think I would go from bad to worse. I wear my hair long now. If I shorten everything, will it make everything look thicker? Also, and I might just be full of it, but I think the Ht is a different texture. It doesn't feel as soft as everything else, maybe a little dry or something. Does that improve with time?

More concerns... I knew I was going to have to get another Ht to help camoflauge the back area, but if the front doesn't improve I want to place it there. But then of course, I run into the problem of shock loss with the existing ht. I can settle for being bald in the back, but I would like the front to look great. I'm stopping at just one more ht at 1600 graphs for a while because of time and money. I'm neither patient or rich.

I have to see my dr. soon for a six mo. check-up and will address these concerns with him, but I wanted to know your experiences and take, first. In no way am I beating this dr. up over this. He told me in the beginning I would need two or three ht's to be satisfied. I'm not mad, just a little disappointed that at this stage it doesn't look better.

Oh one more thing... I've been playing with the idea of adding concealers and even bought some dermatch. I don't know, maybe I'm not appling it correctly. However, I'm not impressed. It's no more than makeup and when applied looks like you haven't washed your scalp in a while. Anything else out there that may work?

thanks

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

Hey guys/gals... I haven't posted in a while because I don't believe I have anything of value to add. However, I do read the boards on a regular basis.

Anyway, I'm nearly six months post-op and not real impressed with the results. My Ht has been growing since mo. two, has considerable length but poor density. Does the density improve from here? I think I was overly optimistic that the frontal area would be a done deal or at the very least much better. NW 6, 1600 fu's in the front half.

More concerns... I would like to try a new hair style but I think I would go from bad to worse. I wear my hair long now. If I shorten everything, will it make everything look thicker? Also, and I might just be full of it, but I think the Ht is a different texture. It doesn't feel as soft as everything else, maybe a little dry or something. Does that improve with time?

More concerns... I knew I was going to have to get another Ht to help camoflauge the back area, but if the front doesn't improve I want to place it there. But then of course, I run into the problem of shock loss with the existing ht. I can settle for being bald in the back, but I would like the front to look great. I'm stopping at just one more ht at 1600 graphs for a while because of time and money. I'm neither patient or rich.

I have to see my dr. soon for a six mo. check-up and will address these concerns with him, but I wanted to know your experiences and take, first. In no way am I beating this dr. up over this. He told me in the beginning I would need two or three ht's to be satisfied. I'm not mad, just a little disappointed that at this stage it doesn't look better.

Oh one more thing... I've been playing with the idea of adding concealers and even bought some dermatch. I don't know, maybe I'm not appling it correctly. However, I'm not impressed. It's no more than makeup and when applied looks like you haven't washed your scalp in a while. Anything else out there that may work?

thanks

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

Zerro, I think what is important when choosing to go forwrd with a ht, is understanding density and having realistic expectations, if your not on track in these 2 areas you will not be happy with your results. Your doctor sounds like he gave you accurate advise, that it will take 2-3 sessions to be where you want to be, so you are on track, my guess is if you can go with a bigger procedure next time in the same area it will make a major improvment. good luck

Zerro, Yes, 1600 in the front half is not much. But I think another 1600, for a total of 3200 in that area, would give you a good look. Why are you going for such small procedures? How's you donar hair and laxicity? How about going for 2600 this time. Add 1600 to the front half and spread another 1000 fading back towards the crown. An artistic surgeon could make this look quite good for you.

You can experience shock loss to your existing transplanted hairs, but it should grow back. Generally shock loss that is permanent is from hair that was about to fall out anyway, not permantently transplanted hairs.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Why such small procedures? That's what I've been asking myself lately. Truly, it is because it was my doc's recommendation. Nothing else! This is one of the concerns that I will bring up to him when I see him again. But, my feeling is he doesn't like to go with larger sessions. I agree though, that 2600 is a better number and I may have to go elsewhere to achieve that. Not sure.

Dr. Haber is recommended on this site. In fact, this is where I found his practice. Although I believe he is a highly-qualified surgeon, I'm just a little disappointed in the small numbers of graphs. -And no doubt, I had higher expectations of the true coverage. He didn't mislead me, he told me it would be thin coverage. I just didn't understand how thin. I couldn't visualize it.

Yet, at the same time I'm really only half way home. I have a little over 6 mo. before it will be a year. I understand that is when most people would say a HT has fully matured. I'm I being unrealistic in expecting more at this point?

So, in light of that. I would like to build on what I have, but the shock loss part has me concerned. I realize it should grow back. What concerns me is I don't want to take a step back to eventually go forward. Is shock loss inevitable when increasing density?

Donar hair is good. Medium brown, good thickness and wavy. Laxity isn't a concern either. I could easily go with a larger session.

A question I usually wonder about is Post-Ht FU yield. I have no clue if this is all 1600 yet or if there is still some in transition. Being the first time and all, I'm still in the learning stage of this whole thing. That's why I'm asking for your advice. thanx

Good to see you back on the forums, Zerro. I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible:

Originally posted by zerro:

Hey guys/gals... I haven't posted in a while because I don't believe I have anything of value to add.

That's not true. Anyone that has experience with hair loss and especially taken steps at restoring their hair has plenty of experience and knowledge to share with others that may be just starting their journey into hair restoration. Even your questions that will be answered will be available for search and may be read years from now by someone that has had the same concern. Keep posting, we all learn something new every day from it.

Well, 1,600 on a NW 6 isn't a whole lot of grafts. Dr. Haber is a very skilled physician, but doesn't perform especially large sessions. You can expect *some* more thickening after the 6 month mark, but don't expect miracles.

I wear my hair long now. If I shorten everything, will it make everything look thicker? Also, and I might just be full of it, but I think the Ht is a different texture. It doesn't feel as soft as everything else, maybe a little dry or something. Does that improve with time?

Personally, I think cutting hair short is imperative to thinning guys looking for a look of having mroe hair. Here's why: when your hair is longer, it weighs more. The added weight of the hair actually pulls the hair down more, creating more of a distinct part between the hairs, giving the illusion of less density. I know that it is easy to assume that longer hair = more hair, but rarely is that true. Shorter hairs lie on each other in such a way that can actually create the illusion of quite a bit more hair and blends more naturally with the more thin areas.

As far as the texture, the donor area hair at the back of the head is typically more coarse than that hair that naturally grows at the hair line. The good news is that this hair will take on the more natural, fine characteristic of naturally-growing hairline hair over time.

I believe that from what you said, concentrating the grafts to thicken up your existing grafts and have them taper back naturally toward the crown will be the way to go. This will give you the thicker look up front that you are looking for while using the grafts wisely. I have no doubt that Dr. Haber would be able to accomplish this goal for you.

Again, you have to look back at the number of grafts transplanted over the "real estate" that you wanted to cover. I think that if you cut your hair a bit shorter (you didnt say how long it was) you will be pleasantly surprised at how much more natural it appears. If you opt for another procedure, consider the method I wrote about before. You said that you were ok with a thin appearance in the back but wanted more grafts up front so I think that some bolstering of what you have up front would be a good way to go.

Oh one more thing... I've been playing with the idea of adding concealers and even bought some dermatch. I don't know, maybe I'm not appling it correctly. However, I'm not impressed. It's no more than makeup and when applied looks like you haven't washed your scalp in a while.

To be quite honest, you would need quite a bit of coverage for Dermmatch to work well. It sounds like you just aren't there yet. You may want to look at Toppik or Nanogen instead but you still need a good bit of hair for those to work well or it just looks like there is dirt in your hair. My advice would be that if they don't work well when used sparingly, they won't work for you at all.

I wish you the best of luck and I agree that you should definitely have Dr. Haber address your concerns.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks for the reply guys. As always Robert, your evaluation is dead on. I believe I do have to change the way I cut my hair, but that has become a harder decision for me than my decision to get a HT.

When I say long... it's long for how bald guys usually wear their hair. My hair is pretty wavy and with a truly uncombed look I can kind of mask and blend the sides into the new HT. (Not a comb-over) If I go shorter, I'll lose the wave and masking. It's kind of stupid but... I'm sure plenty of you have been there before.

The stylist I have been going to for years may not be able to help me out or give me sound advice. The funny thing is... I went to her a few weeks ago and she had no clue what I had done. When I told her because I figure she had to know, I had noticeably more hair than the previous visits this summer, it nearly knock her off her feet! She was combing and feeling my scalp for any sign that it was a HT. She come up with nothing. And, almost didn't believe me. She had all kind of questions. Her teenage son is starting to thin rapidly, her husband is balding badly and she has a uncle who had a doll-look Ht done in the 80's, wanted to know if there's help out there for him. I kind of felt like a HT consultant. I definately could use the extra income! Well, anyway really don't dare go to anyone else because she does a good job; trust factor.

I also been throwing around the idea of highlighting or going lighter. Do you think that helps hair to blend in with the scalp. Can't really tan up because it never stops snowing in this winter wonderland I live in. -ha Any advice?

Oh one more thing. I used V05 Hot Oil Treatment on my hair a few days ago, and it seemed to soften up and make my HT feel natural. I use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. Do these products tend to dry your hair out?

I have also known the fun of telling my stylist that I have had a hair transplant and have them look for the signs unsuccessfully. It's kind of fun, isn't it? icon_smile.gif

You could try lightening the hair a bit, but don't overwhelm your new hair with too many chemicals. Have it done professionally and make sure they use something that will be gentle. I have never used hot oil treament, personally, so your guess is as good as mine on that one. I use Nioxin quite regularly and I have always been a big fan of it. i don't think that it dries out the hair at all.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog