Possible to block 100% DHT conversion?

vincehair

Finasteride (found in Propecia and Proscar) only blocks type II 5-alpha-reductase enzymes which I believe accounts for approximately 65% of DHT production. Dutasteride not only blocks Type II 5-alpha-reductase enzymes, but also Type I (found in the brain). I believe this accounts for the approximate remaining 35% of DHT production.

I'm doing the percentages by memory, so if I have this wrong, perhaps someone can correct me.

That said, Proscar will not inhibit 100% of DHT. In theory, Dutasteride will however, its important to consider a few things:

1) Hair follicle damage from DHT may not be reversible even if all subsequent DHT is inhibited by dutasteride

2) Androgenetic alopecia is polygenic (caused by more than one gene) and the androgen receptor is only one of them. In some cell types, testosterone interacts directly with the androgen receptor gene while in others, its converted by 5-alpha-reductase enzymes into DHT. Finasteride and Dutasteride target DHT (an androgen hormone) and prevent this process. But the androgen receptor gene is not the only gene responsible for genetic male pattern baldness. The question is, does this mean that there may be other contributing hormones other than DHT that can kill a hair follicle?

3) Personally, the thought of blocking Type I 5-alpha-reductase in the brain scares me a bit, which is why I probably won't switch to dutasteride until I learn a bit more about its function.

All that to say, the DHT androgen hormone appears to greatly contribute to male pattern hair loss which is why Propecia is quite effective.

Perhaps if the other genes responsible are found and targeted, a cure for androgenetic alopecia will one day be discovered.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 month later...

Castration cannot block 100% DHT. Testicles make only 70-80% of total testosterone.

What we are doing with finasteride and dutasteride is competetive inhibition of 5 alpha rectase enzymes, during this process some testosterone does covert to DHT. Only thing that can block 100% DHT is DEATH :P