Existing hair gone?

As you well know from the posts that I posted, on 9/18 I had a 3300 graft transplant by Dr Feller. For the past 3 days, many of te hairs that were implanted are shedding. I wouldn't mind so much, but my existing hair was shaved when I was told that it wouldn't need to be. Well, what's done is done, and now i'm going back to work on Tuesday. Law inforcement lockerrooms are just a perfect place to make fun of a half shaved head. Now that the shedding is noticeable, I really dont see my exisiting hair anymore. Could shockloss of happend that fast? If so, I guess your theory of shaving and minimizing shockloss is out the window, Bill

As you well know from the posts that I posted, on 9/18 I had a 3300 graft transplant by Dr Feller. For the past 3 days, many of te hairs that were implanted are shedding. I wouldn't mind so much, but my existing hair was shaved when I was told that it wouldn't need to be. Well, what's done is done, and now i'm going back to work on Tuesday. Law inforcement lockerrooms are just a perfect place to make fun of a half shaved head. Now that the shedding is noticeable, I really dont see my exisiting hair anymore. Could shockloss of happend that fast? If so, I guess your theory of shaving and minimizing shockloss is out the window, Bill

John,

I am sorry to hear that you may be experiencing shock loss. The first few months after an HT are the most difficult time. To deal with looking like bozo the clown, I shaved my entire head so that all the hair was the same length. Of course, my donor scar was also revealed.

Though I can empathize with how you are feeling...

I have no idea how you can possibly say that my theory is out the window. I'll take this as your "emotions" talking because you are not happy with the way your hair loss currently.

In no way did I ever say shaving of the recipient area will ELIMINATE shock loss...I only said that it is argued by many doctors (and I have a tendency to believ eit) that it can minimize the risk for follicle transection (permanent shock loss). Temporary shock loss is often very patient specific. More often than not, it's a hit or miss. The good news is, temporary shocked hairs will grow back but it will take several months.

Try not to lose heart. The next few months will be the hardest. But you will be singing for joy in about 6 months.

Bill

hi all, flac, i like the way you trying to people hopes that the first few monthes after HT are the difficlet ones..omg man i have that feeling since i have ht since 2 monthes ago.. it's getting worse,,i'm so depressed all this time even i stopped working out or being happy anymore..maybe the reason is that i feel like i been decieved. and i lost %95 of my existing hair ,i was not bald at all!! just wanted thicker hair now after 4000 grafts (i feel like they cheated on grafts count,,to me and every one look at my empty top of my head say that no way they are 400 grafts not 4000!! is there is any way i i went to another doc to tell me how many grafts has been put on my head ..please advise guys.. also if i gonna get some of my existing hair back how i can tell if this old hair or new hair.. help guys !! thanks

Guest wanthairs

Oh My God Bibarz.....

Please tell us who your doctor was, and any other details......slowly, meticulously and clearly.

For your info, I looked quite bald before my procedure. After, I looked like a freak, and just shaved my entire head and said what the f--k.....I told people my scar was a battle wound, impressed the ladies and for a while even regretted the procedure because I started to like my kojack look.

This first 6 months are the hardest and most depressing to go through...Im just starting to see some dangly pubes growing and from a distance it looks not so bad.....Just wait these few months out...

Bibarz...its not normal for 95% of your prior existing hair to fall out. If what you say is true ( and we all are ever so subjective and dramatic afetr a procdure, lets not forget), then go see the nearest coalition doc from where you live with pictures to get an opinion as to wwhat the f--ck happened.

If you really were butchered, then lets drag the name of this doctor through the dirt., You'd be fully right to load up your .45 and drive down to the office, stoned out of your brains on speed....

John,

Shock loss can happen at different rates for different people. For me, week 5-7 were the worst times for me and I became quite emotionally impacted by this the first two surgeries. Hang in there bro!

bibarz,

The reason I can give people hope is because I've been through 3 hair transplants and know what to expect. But every patient is different.

Though I admit, 95% shock loss of existing native hair sounds bad, assuming hairs were transplanted all throughout your native hair, this is a possibility.

Do you have any pre-op, immediately post-op, and current pictures you can post for us of your hair? Please try to take pictures in similar angles and lighting and make sure they are visible.

At this point, nobody can tell you anything with certainty....you are only 2 months post op. This can be a very depressing time. Trust me...I've been there. My advice would be for now, to express your concerns to your doctor, post your experience and pictures on this forum for support, wear a hat in public, and don't keep looking in the mirror. New growth and hairs that were temporarily shocked will start to grow back between month 3-5 on average. Full maturity of a hair transplant is not until month 12.

Bill

hi, Bill & wanthair, i just wonder when i look at the mirror and see my self bald now it's two months after the ht and there no sing can tell that i had 4000 grafts been transplantedinto my existing hair!you could not even think i have ht accept from the big wide scar on the back of my head. i saw hundreds of pic's on this website- sepcially urs Bill all of them look like real surgery but mine seemed like small and not covering full head(seems like 400 not 4000 even when i ask friends to look it so close they say there no way and no any pumples or red sopts) i went to see him last week with my xwife and he repeated again wait ..wait i'll get my existing hair back, imagine i never been bald i just wanted to make thicker..many doctors told me i just need around 1200 to 1500 hundreds grafts but DR. Richard ochs said with 4000 he will cover

all my entire head according to my existing hair was covering all my head now after two months it's getting worse day after day. i feel like they cheated on the grafts count! plus i asked him all question before the surgery (like will i lose my existing hair? (he said no big time)two minutes b4 the surgery he made me sing all papers protect him without even giving me any chance to read it that after he give me 2 pills!!plus i told him i never used any medication so i would use prapecia or rogaiane he said just rogaine foum. the bad thing i'm getting married next month i never looked worse in my entire life like i look now.. sorry for bothering you guys with my issues but i di not even have any clue about that forum accept after i have ht done and i was going crazy to find some people went through that issues..please keep in touch,,i have tried many times to post my pic's but it did not work out either too big or the attachment in here does not work but i'll try to attach my pic after the ht,,then my pic when i used to be the guy with full hair before the ht,,,thanks again

bibarz,

As I stated in another thread (or this one), is that a simple "yes" or "no" answer is rarely appropriate in hair transplantation. The truth is there is a HUGE risk of losing existing native hair via means of shock loss. If any of the native hairs were miniaturized and were on their way out anyway, they could have been permanently shocked. This is why it's advisable to be on finasteride for at least 1 year prior to an HT to help strengthen existing native hair to make them more resilient to permanent shock.

Of course, transection of existing native hair can also cause permanent shock loss. If the hands of a skilled physicians, this is much less of a concern. As I said however, I am not familiar with Dr. Ochs or his work.

I think posting some pre-op, immediately post-op, and current pictures will be helpful so we can get a better idea what is going on.

Either way - 2 months is seriously not the time to make a conclusion.

But trust me...I understand how you are feeling. Did you look at my pictures around the 6th to 8th week after my first and second surgery? I was emotionally pretty depressed around that time as I experienced a lot of shock loss.

Post some pictures and have patience.

Bill

Bill

i only wish to get hair transplanted on my hairline- would you assume i wouldnt experience very much shock losss since the transplant wont be between existing hairs?

would i have to shave my whole head etc for a transplant??

what work do you do for a living Bill?

i am thinking of going on propecia do you think 3 months on it before i have ht would help limit shock loss?

i have heard taking propecia can cause some shedding - how long does it usualy cause the hair to shed for?

and how significant can the shedding be? can thick hairs also fall out? or it will just be the minitured hairs?

I would do the propecia before. Absolutely, from my personal experience. I started it about a week after surgery and at about 3 1/2 months i experienced lots of shedding and thinning. Yes even in nontransplant areas. Plus a horrible haircut did not help me. Bill and others mentioned it could be a shed or delayed shockloss or more native hairloss. I have no idea. Everyone is different. I am still waiting/hoping for my hair to recover. I am at 5 1/2 months right now. I lost more additional hair for a good 6 weeks. I do not seem to be losing large amounts of hair but I am in the "I look like Crap" Stage right now. You may not shed at all some on here dont seem to.

One thing is for sure this place is a great crutch if you are riding emotion mountain.

mrkneed,

Sorry about that...I meant WEEK 5 to 7. I corrected the above post.

guyfromsydney,

You are correct. Shock loss will only occur to native hairs when hairs are transplanted near them. There IS therefore a possibility of some shock loss where the transplanted hairs meet the native hair.

It is best to use Propecia 6-12 months prior to an HT to minimize the risk of shock loss to native hairs - but 3 months is better than nothing. BUT - in your case, you are mainly having hairs transplanted in balding areas - so shock loss won't really be an issue for you (with the exception of the possibility of where the transplanted hairs meet the native hairs).

Bill

Bill,

I just need a little direction on creating a weblog. I have a ton of pics. right after up to now. Nothing really before but they should give you a good idea where I am at. I would value your opinion. Send me the info?

Thanks!