number of movable grafts - density & coverage value

Guest Pumpkinhole

Guest Pumpkinhole

the conversation in one of the other threads touched on this topic, but i thought i'd bring it up here so we can go more in depth.

i'm willing to bet that when a person has 8,000 grafts available for a ht, they have a high density and a loose scalp. however, with that much density, the coverage value of each graft is probably not as good as that of an asian or african american scalp. people with lower densities are usually supposed to have thicker hair shafts, which cover scalp with fewer grafts.

i have light brown & blonde hair with a pretty high density. i've met with 3 different doctors now, all of them have used a magnifying lens, and they have pretty much said the same thing- if my scalp stays loose, i will probably have around 8,000 movable grafts. but given my lower coverage value (call it finer hair shifts if you like), i'll have to transplant a greater number of grafts to cover a desired area.

just because someone has a lot of movable grafts does not mean they can get a fuller transplant! in fact, i would much prefer to have lower density in favor of thicker hair shafts - it's less expensive to restore a given area.

Guest Pumpkinhole

the conversation in one of the other threads touched on this topic, but i thought i'd bring it up here so we can go more in depth.

i'm willing to bet that when a person has 8,000 grafts available for a ht, they have a high density and a loose scalp. however, with that much density, the coverage value of each graft is probably not as good as that of an asian or african american scalp. people with lower densities are usually supposed to have thicker hair shafts, which cover scalp with fewer grafts.

i have light brown & blonde hair with a pretty high density. i've met with 3 different doctors now, all of them have used a magnifying lens, and they have pretty much said the same thing- if my scalp stays loose, i will probably have around 8,000 movable grafts. but given my lower coverage value (call it finer hair shifts if you like), i'll have to transplant a greater number of grafts to cover a desired area.

just because someone has a lot of movable grafts does not mean they can get a fuller transplant! in fact, i would much prefer to have lower density in favor of thicker hair shafts - it's less expensive to restore a given area.

Pumpkin -

You're right on the money, I was told the exact info you just quoted, I have courser individual hair strands, rec'd very good coverage during my HT's, but in a numbers match I would most likely have less overall hair shafts than a guy with thinner hair may have. This is in general, perhaps not always true, but usually the case.

Now how about if Nature re-writes the rules and gives us all "course and dense" hair in the afterlife ? like say Elvis etc...

I for one am glad to hear it isn't all about density, I think I have fairly thick hair but not great density, good news.

Is there any way to guesstimate your hair diameter without special tools? What would be considered thick hair?

Thanks,

Gambo