New HT with Dr. Bernstein

Just had my HT (2400+)with Dr. Berstein a month ago. After speaking with Dr's in NJ/CT/MA and RI, I choose Dr. Berstein. He was the only one who told me what to expect based on my type of hair loss. Norwood 6-7. He informed me of my scalp density and realistic results to expect. T After my free consultation, no one from his office called trying to schedule the surgery or offer me a deal, other doctors reps called for weeks trying to cut a deal.Dr. Berstein left the decision in my hands, The surgery was painless and his staff was great. I was a little uncomfortable the day after, and followed his instructions to a T!. After a few days, I looked like I feel asleep in the sun and had a bad sunburn on my scalp and in I 10 days, no one could tell I had this procedure, my scalp looked a little red, most people thought I was in the sun too long. Bottom line, if you considering a HT, find a doctor like Dr. Bernstein if you can not come to NYC/NJ who you believe will be honest and has the experience in this field. Also, make sure you meet exsisting patients who had surgery at least a year ago to really see the results of the doctor. I will update in 3-4 months. Right now, half of the Transplanted hair has fallen out and I am working on forgeting I had the procedure so I won't be impatent with new growth.

Just had my HT (2400+)with Dr. Berstein a month ago. After speaking with Dr's in NJ/CT/MA and RI, I choose Dr. Berstein. He was the only one who told me what to expect based on my type of hair loss. Norwood 6-7. He informed me of my scalp density and realistic results to expect. T After my free consultation, no one from his office called trying to schedule the surgery or offer me a deal, other doctors reps called for weeks trying to cut a deal.Dr. Berstein left the decision in my hands, The surgery was painless and his staff was great. I was a little uncomfortable the day after, and followed his instructions to a T!. After a few days, I looked like I feel asleep in the sun and had a bad sunburn on my scalp and in I 10 days, no one could tell I had this procedure, my scalp looked a little red, most people thought I was in the sun too long. Bottom line, if you considering a HT, find a doctor like Dr. Bernstein if you can not come to NYC/NJ who you believe will be honest and has the experience in this field. Also, make sure you meet exsisting patients who had surgery at least a year ago to really see the results of the doctor. I will update in 3-4 months. Right now, half of the Transplanted hair has fallen out and I am working on forgeting I had the procedure so I won't be impatent with new growth.

That's awsome. I also like dealing with businesses that dont put pressure on me. If their good their work speaks for itself. I wish others would take this approach more but in this cut throat business world we live in they all feel like they need to pressure us to pay up.

Growingagain,

Congrats on your steps so far. I agree that Dr. Bernstein is a no pressure and honest surgeon. That is one of the reasons I went to him in the 1st place. Unfortunately in my case, I have not had good results at all (1900 grafts over 16 months ago). My shock fallout was far more than whatever growth I experieced so I have notieceably less hair now than b4 the surgery. Certainly not what I anticipated. Hopefully you will have a better result - good luck!

Hi Growing Again, thanks for posting your experience! I'm in Mass., and have been advised that the "big docs" that are closest to me that do the best work, are in NY or close to there....Drs. Bernstein, True, Dorin and Feller. In fact I was thinking about Dr. Bernstein when I saw your post! Please let us know how things go for you as your hair regrows.

To "mpd", did you tell Dr. Bernstein about this development? I presume that things like this can happen from time to time, regardless of the skill of the surgeon or how well the procedure went?

NickD,

Yes, I had a conversation w/ Dr. Bernstein @ my 1 year mark. It was very disappointing as he classified as an "outlyer" and atypical of what one should expect. As you say, things like this apparently can happen but it is no less comforting when it is you that it happens to...

• 2 months later...

Hi Growing Again,

Glad you found Dr Bernstein to be a professional.

BTW, which facilities called you to "offer you a deal"? Just wondering since I plan to consult with several of the well known physicians in the NY area (Feller, Bernstein, True and perhaps Epstein) Thanks.

Growing Again: Be patient. I had a 2400 graft HT with Dr. B in January of 2006 and my hair is still improving. In fact I went back to get another HT in January of 2007 and Berstein told me to wait since I was a slow grower and he wanted to get a better feel for the final result before a second procedure. As far as losing the tranplanted hair----that is normal and I think I lost all of mine before it started to grow again. I also had a repair done at the same time and could not be happier. Now I just need to find the time to get the second procedure. There is no hard sell here.

Originally posted by Michaellovesnyc:

Does it bother anyone to get a hair transplant from a bald guy??

Well, it didn't bother me.

I took notice, I thought to ask him, but I imagined what he would say and I was OK with the reponses I thought he'd have:

my baldness doesn't bother me or my significant other

my donor site is not sufficient

there's no one as good as me to do the job icon_smile.gif