My recipient area is still red at month 4

mrkneed, It goes away after a good long while. I'm 9 weeks out of surgery and it's still there. I was suggested to use aloe vera on it but at the time-- a couple weeks out I didn't want to compromise the grafts. I feel definitely certain that avoiding a sunburn by always wearing a hat is a must for anyone. Read about Tricomin spray and the possibility of how it can aid the area.

Don't forget: your scalp is FULL of tiny little capillary blood vessels. Full. Each time the doctor made an incision, he broke em' up leaving little tiny bloody bruises under the skin. They heal up and repair for months afterwards, leaving that pinkish color. Some are more prone to it than others. It took about 4 or 5 months for mine to go away.

I'm having the same problem. I am five weeks after surgery and it's still red.

Where can I read about Tricomin spray?

Also, a lot of the new grafts haven't fallen out.

Is this normal or a bad sign?

I completely understand and share your frustration. I've had two proceedures and have a very fair complexion. I'm just about 7 months post op from #2 and still have a slight redness to my scalp and hairline. I was fortunate enough to be able to have a follow up with Dr. Wong at 5 months and he felt it was completely normal based on my complexion. It just takes time ... keep using the aloe, I do think it helps healing.

Pushing nailed it. We all heal differently and you have to keep in mind that it is a pretty invasive type of surgery. Several small incisions were made to your scalp and it is always unpredictable as to how someone might respond.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I'm only 6 weeks out and healed up like a champ! I put aloe vitamin E gel on every night and massage the scar along the grain every time I washed. I also take a ton of vitimins and drink a gallon or more of water a day. Also I have had ZERO sun on my head fpr the past 6 weeks. So maybe that combo or just lucky but the scar is just a lazer line after 6 weeks.

Good look bro!

I have found that the length of time of postoperative redness is dependent on a number of factors including:

1. Number of grafts

2. Density

3. patient physiology (healing time, skin characteristics, etc)

4. Size and type of cutting instrument used to make recipient sites

5. Depth of the incision made by the hair restoration physician

Just some more of my thoughts.

Bill

I believe patients healing characteristics are by far the most important healing factor.

Some patients just heal very quick or sometimes very slow.

Today I saw a patient we did exactly 9 days ago and there was virtually no more redness at all.

On the other side of the line there are patient recipient area that take 7 months to go back to normal.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.