Doctor Participation during procedure- Dr. Charles

Hair28

Hello:

I had a HT procedure done about 7 weeks ago (Dec/07) by Dr. Glenn Charles in Boca Raton, FL. Although I was pleased by his attention to detail and by the friendly staff, I was a little bit concerned about the fact that he was not there for most of the procedure. He basically worked on the donor side (removal and closure) and did 100% of all incisions. Once he completed those important steps, he left the room and two of his techs started implanting the grafts on my scalp. Although I know this is the norm in most places, I was a little bit disappointed (and concerned) that he did not step into the room until all the hairs were in place (over 2,000 grafts), at which point he took a final look at the implants and said everything looked great.

My question is: Is this normal? Did any of you guys have similar experiences with Dr. Charles or with any other HT doctor? It is still to early to tell if this will make a difference on my final results, but nevertheless I would like to hear from others who had (or didn't have) similar experiences.

Hair28

Hello:

I had a HT procedure done about 7 weeks ago (Dec/07) by Dr. Glenn Charles in Boca Raton, FL. Although I was pleased by his attention to detail and by the friendly staff, I was a little bit concerned about the fact that he was not there for most of the procedure. He basically worked on the donor side (removal and closure) and did 100% of all incisions. Once he completed those important steps, he left the room and two of his techs started implanting the grafts on my scalp. Although I know this is the norm in most places, I was a little bit disappointed (and concerned) that he did not step into the room until all the hairs were in place (over 2,000 grafts), at which point he took a final look at the implants and said everything looked great.

My question is: Is this normal? Did any of you guys have similar experiences with Dr. Charles or with any other HT doctor? It is still to early to tell if this will make a difference on my final results, but nevertheless I would like to hear from others who had (or didn't have) similar experiences.

Hair28

Hair28,

It is quite normal for the surgeon to be out of the room for the majority of time the hairs are transplanted. Sometimes surgeons will come in and out of the room a bit more frequently, but often times is not necessary when in the hands of skilled technicians transplanting hairs.

I do know what you mean though...it feels more comfortable when the surgeon is a bit more present. But I have confidence that you will end up with a great result.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I guess it is common for Doctors to go away and take care of other stuff while the techs work on the patient. I guess I was just a bit surprised since I was not told in advance that the techs were doing the whole graft insertion (and yes, I should've asked beforehand). The important thing is for the results to look great. Time will tell...